Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does travel insurance cover car accidents?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'll be renting a car when I go to the States later this year, and am trying to avoid paying for all the extra insurance they lop on. I know I'll need CDW (or its equivalent) just to avoid any payment for damage to the car, but a few rental places offer things like personal injury, third party injury, etc.

Looking at my travel insurance cover, it claims the following:

Personal Accident Up to €30,000
    Personal Public Liability Up to 3,000,000

Public liability would seem to cover you know driving a car into someone or something, and apart from the excess, there's no small print talking about what's covered and what's not. I know my c/c won't cover it and my own car insurance only covers me in other private cars (so I'm assuming not rentals)

So if I get travel insurance and the basic CDW, am I pretty much covered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Most PL policies EXCLUDE motorised vehicles, such as cars, motor bikes, quads etc.

It is unlikely that your travel insurance will give you motor insurance. The hirer of the vehicle will have to give you the basic cover required.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

One way of reducing the cost of the insurance (or liability) would be to buy a Car Hire Excess Yearly Policy which means that you don't have to pay a huge excess if you scratch the car. €59.99 for a year's worldwide cover. carhireexcess.com is the crowd I use. Well worth it for piece of mind.

Advertisement