Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break Clause

Options
  • 03-02-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This may make me seem so stupid but here we go.

Leased a place for a year. Its grand and have no major problem staying for the full lease.

Was just looking at the contract again as the lease is up is 3 months and noticed that it includes a break clause option which states that if the lease is broken within the 12 month period, the security deposit is forfeit and the lease ceases to exist.

So my question is that all I need to break the lease early, lose the deposit but not be obligated for the rest of the money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No. If you break the lease early, you'll definitely lose your deposit. Legally, the landlord can make you liable for the rent for the remainder of the lease too.

But if the landlord's reasonable, you can usually negotiate early release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

No. If you break the lease early, you'll definitely lose your deposit. Legally, the landlord can make you liable for the rent for the remainder of the lease too.

But if the landlord's reasonable, you can usually negotiate early release.

Oh I know I would def lose the deposit. It says it in the break clause. It then says that the lease ceases to exist though? So if the lease ceases to exist why would I be liable for the remainder of the lease?

Daith wrote: »
    Oh I know I would def lose the deposit. It says it in the break clause. It then says that the lease ceases to exist though? So if the lease ceases to exist why would I be liable for the remainder of the lease?

You signed a lease for a YEAR did you not? Why would you not be liable???

You signed a lease for a YEAR did you not? Why would you not be liable???

Because the contract/lease includes a break clause? Otherwise whats the point of putting in the clause?

If you sign a lease for a year, when did the break clause come in?

For example, if the break clause is 6 months, it means the lease can be broken by either side after 6 months with no penalty. If after the six month break, both sides are happy, then the lease runs until it ends or is renewed.

That is what I have on my leases, and that's the way it's always worked...

• Advertisement

If you sign a lease for a year, when did the break clause come in?

For example, if the break clause is 6 months, it means the lease can be broken by either side after 6 months with no penalty. If after the six month break, both sides are happy, then the lease runs until it ends or is renewed.

That is what I have on my leases, and that's the way it's always worked...

It just says if the lease is broken within the allocated 12 months. There's no time limit other than the other that. I know about six month clauses which I thought as standard.

To be honest it just seems to give me the right to cancel at any time and lose the deposit which I would never expect from a landlord :p Might check with Threshold.

Advertisement