Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free to air

• 03-02-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

Hi guys , I don't know much about free to air systems but I would like to know if there is any system available which let's you rewind and record like sky plus , at the moment I have sky plus hd , but am trying to cut back on monthly outgoings , and with a small baby sky plus is a godsend which I don't think I could do without so if there is anything similar available it would be great , thanks in advance folks !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

sullzz wrote: »
    Hi guys , I don't know much about free to air systems but I would like to know if there is any system available which let's you rewind and record like sky plus , at the moment I have sky plus hd , but am trying to cut back on monthly outgoings , and with a small baby sky plus is a godsend which I don't think I could do without so if there is anything similar available it would be great , thanks in advance folks !!!
    A Freesat+ box does it. So do FTA boxes with PVR functionality, but Freesat would be much more straight forward. A Freesat+HD box would also give you the free HD channels. All you need is the box, swap it for the Sky box, and you're done, no need to change the dish or anything. The Irish channels aren't available via these boxes, but you should be able to get them on DTT via an aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Thanks for the quick reply johnmb , do you know if there are any available that also have the Irish channels

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

a box such as the edison combo would allow you to recieve both satellite and irish channels...but unlike the freessat box's which have a 7 day schedule it only has now/next display so is not as good for recording...as far as i'm aware there is no box that gives 7 day epg for both satellite and irish channels...if anyone reading this knows of one i'd be greatful to hear.

sullzz wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply johnmb , do you know if there are any available that also have the Irish channels
    As Paulcdub85 said, there is no Freesat box that does both. There are FTA boxes that do both. That's what I use, but I really miss the 7 day EPG for the satellite channels (you would have the 7 day EPG for the DTT channels). Also, if a new channel appears (e.g. ITV1+1) you have to manually add them yourself, or if an existing channel changes transponder, you need to remove and add them yourself, whereas with a Freesat box, that is done for you when it updates, just like the Sky box. I am thinking of getting a Freesat+HD box for watching the UK channels and just using the FTA box to control the motor and watch other satellites, because the lack of 7 day EPG and series link really is a pain as I got so used to them back when I had Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

• Advertisement

It should be noted though that those boxes that do both, and have the 7-day EPG for satellite are Linux based boxes. They need to be set up, they don't just work once plugged in to the dish. They also still have the same problem with regards to adding new channels, or existing channels changing transponders as far as I know. You'd really need to have an interest in it as a hobby, rather than just want to watch TV, in order to use them properly.

Advertisement