Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Randomly dropping connection

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for some help/advice. Got eircom broadband into the apartment last week. Since I got it in, it randomly drops connection. This drop in connection only lasts a moment.
    I use my internet for a few hours every evening, mainly for surfing the web, but I do play a good bit of FIFA on xbox live. Since i've got it, i've played about 15 or 16 games of FIFA, and I can count on one hand how many games i've actually been able to finish and not get disconnect from xbox live.

I thought it could be a problem with xbox live, so i've had my laptop beside me while playing, and the connection is dropping on the laptop and xbox. This is incredibly frustrating. I had upc broadband for a year and a half, and not once did I get cut off from xbox live in that time.

I rang customer care twice today about it, both times they have just got me to change the channel on the wireless and neither of these channel changes have helped at all. The first girl I spoke to also ran a line test and said there was nothing wrong with it and that it was a wireless problem.

Any idea's or suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Just off the phone with Eircom for the third time today......this time i'm told to just keep trying all the different channels on the modem til I find the one that works :rolleyes: And after i've tried them all, if it still isn't working, then ring them back. The guy on the phone also blamed whatever other signals are in the building my wireless not working. He also told me that he wouldn't know what could be interfering with it as wireless signals are invisible :rolleyes:

I'm starting to realise why people told me to stay away from Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

BDJW wrote: »
    Just off the phone with Eircom for the third time today......this time i'm told to just keep trying all the different channels on the modem til I find the one that works :rolleyes: And after i've tried them all, if it still isn't working, then ring them back. The guy on the phone also blamed whatever other signals are in the building my wireless not working. He also told me that he wouldn't know what could be interfering with it as wireless signals are invisible :rolleyes:

I'm starting to realise why people told me to stay away from Eircom

Hi BDJW

If you private message me your line number I can investigate this issue for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm having this exact problem since I moved back home. I used to think it was because I have a USB receiver for wireless but it wasn't an issue at my college place where I was on UPC. It's particularly annoying because my game will freeze, as will Skype for a good few seconds before dropping me altogether.

Kold wrote: »
    I'm having this exact problem since I moved back home. I used to think it was because I have a USB receiver for wireless but it wasn't an issue at my college place where I was on UPC. It's particularly annoying because my game will freeze, as will Skype for a good few seconds before dropping me altogether.

Hi Kold
    if you PM me your tel. no I can run some tests here.. Could you advise me if there are others also connecting to your wireless signal, how far are you from modem? Are you connected to Sky?
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Having a similar problem here, have had Eircom bb for about 2 years with a netopia modem, no problems until it stopped working completely 2 weeks ago. Got a replacement Zyxel one and it just keeps dropping the wifi randomly.

The line was tested extensively, the bandwidth was throttled back to 4Mb max, and an engineer called out, so there is no problem there.

I have 3 PCs and share an iTunes library from one, can't get this to work with the new modem, I use ssh and vnc to connect to a 3rd headless PC and it just keeps dropping out after a few minutes. I had no problems doing any of these things with the Netopia modem.

There would appear to be a general dissatisfaction among customers with this modem, for example see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056156988

• Advertisement

dubred wrote: »
    Having a similar problem here, have had Eircom bb for about 2 years with a netopia modem, no problems until it stopped working completely 2 weeks ago. Got a replacement Zyxel one and it just keeps dropping the wifi randomly.

The line was tested extensively, the bandwidth was throttled back to 4Mb max, and an engineer called out, so there is no problem there.

I have 3 PCs and share an iTunes library from one, can't get this to work with the new modem, I use ssh and vnc to connect to a 3rd headless PC and it just keeps dropping out after a few minutes. I had no problems doing any of these things with the Netopia modem.

There would appear to be a general dissatisfaction among customers with this modem, for example see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056156988

Hi dubred

sorry you have experienced issues with connectioncouls you PM me your tel. number and I will have this investigated for you. If you have any ref no. from former faults logged this may help me also.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have this issue too, drops for a few seconds, then comes back.

Doesn't affect online gaming, but internet access on laptop or phone are a pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have this issue too, drops for a few seconds, then comes back.

Doesn't affect online gaming, but internet access on laptop or phone are a pain in the ass.

Hi DrPhilG,

If you can PM your telephone number, I can look into the disconnections for you.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement