Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Posters - Bloody Dangerous

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:28pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was on the south ring a few times today, the number of election posters that have blown off their poles is ridiculous.

One particular big one blew across the road straight in front of me on the way home. And a few others were flapping around. I wonder could the party be held responsible if damage / crash was caused.

So keep an eye out for them in this windy weather.

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shakeymathuna

Micheal Martins posters seem to be the ones causing the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Same thing in Galway 6 inch nails exposed and massive posters flying across the Tuam road! the dam things should be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

i could never understand the idea behind these posters. you are supposed to vote for who ever puts up the most posters or the nicest looking ones? i agree they should be banned completely.

what is the votes per poster ratio for each one they put up? it can't be very high.

i wonder how they put them up too, some have no safe parking spot nearby and i can't imagine those Fianna Feckers walking too far

• Registered Users Posts: 5 catcarraccoo

Seems like an awful waste of money getting those posters made up esp. when the politicians should be conscious that people are pi-doubleS-ed with the very faces that have now graced our roadsides! Seems like they do have a budget somewhere which allows for them to canvass in the hope of lining their pockets even further!

Also i wonder do they need to apply for permission from the council to erect those posters as i have heard that it is illegal to have signs up without authorisation. McFaddens circus who came to the Kinsale roundabut for more than a decade at the very least, only last year had her posters taken down and confiscated as she had not applied for, therefore not granted, permission to have her posters up on the roadside.
    There is also the issue of posters causing blindspots which proves hazardous to motorists.

I also saw Michael Martin posters flying around the roads into traffic... not sure if the parties would be responsible for any crashes or damage caused but they sure ought to be held accountable though i'm sure they'd give some fine speech and weasel their way out of it with perhaps 'a good name and their integrity intact' ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

From what I remember, if the posters are still up after a certain date, the party has to pay fines. Sure how can they control this, if after polling Michael Martin's poster is tumble-weeding down Patrick's Street, ghost town style.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

All the parties have to apply for planning permision to erect the signs and they must be down within a short time of the election or they can be fined AFAIK

Ever since the posters went up I make sure to carry one of these around with me everywhere

140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Saw one as I has passing over the bridge by High Street books on the dual carriage way below, right in the middle of the inside lane, if someone on a motorbike goes over that there going to wipe out.

We should do the same as Clonakilty and ban them form the city.

In Kilcorney i spotted one FG poster attached to a pallet dangling off a lamp post with a light rope.

A fecking pallet if you don't mind! that could do a fair bit of damage to a car or even someone walking by if it dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

My breakfast nearly comes up every morning when I pass the Bandon Road Roundabout with Jerry Buttimer's ugly mug staring at ya...

He should use some of the €50k expenses he got last year to buy a new head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement