Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching home security maintenance company

Options
  • 03-02-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Probably a stupid question but - a number of years ago we got a security system installed at home - wired with detection of either attempts to smash or open windows, doors etc., panic alarm by door etc. We have a different monitoring company which is fine and I am about to get this reactivated. Anyway this security company while run by nice people, has always been a bit poor when it comes to customer service and I feel like I would like to try a new company - we let our maintenance agreement lapse etc and the alarm needs to be overhauled/serviced as well as something called a mobile (phone) relay installed as we no longer have a traditional phone line. Is this something another company could come in and do or is it a case of being stuck with the company that originally installed it? Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any PSA licenced company can look after this & set you up with monitoring & maintenance. Some will only accept connections via GSM if you put in writing you have been made aware of the possibilites of jamming.
    There are some threads in here with more info on that.
    Shop around & see whats on offer & check what your maintenance covers. Some companies , although cheaper,limits you to 1 or 2 calls a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

tommy21 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but - a number of years ago we got a security system installed at home - wired with detection of either attempts to smash or open windows, doors etc., panic alarm by door etc. We have a different monitoring company which is fine and I am about to get this reactivated. Anyway this security company while run by nice people, has always been a bit poor when it comes to customer service and I feel like I would like to try a new company - we let our maintenance agreement lapse etc and the alarm needs to be overhauled/serviced as well as something called a mobile (phone) relay installed as we no longer have a traditional phone line. Is this something another company could come in and do or is it a case of being stuck with the company that originally installed it? Many thanks

Any company will take over the service of your alarm system. They will also connect you to a monitoring station. I would shop around as there are different types of contracts available with some mad prices being quoted. Some will give you your two services and some will include all maintenance visits. Its always best to get this in writhing, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

KoolKid wrote: »
    Any PSA licenced company can look after this & set you up with monitoring & maintenance. Some will only accept connections via GSM if you put in writing you have been made aware of the possibilites of jamming.
    There are some threads in here with more info on that.
    Shop around & see whats on offer & check what your maintenance covers. Some companies , although cheaper,limits you to 1 or 2 calls a year.

I just noticed your speed test WTF HOW?:eek:

Rather than starting a new thread, I said I would continue here. To bring my 7-8 year old system up to scratch will cost 1500 from one company. The ongoing charge per year including both a maintenance agreement and a monitoring agreement (from another company) comes to €500. Is this the norm?! I also wanted to ask what the going rate for a GSM unit is (essentially a mobile phone within my alarm as we no longer have a fixed line phoneline) - the reason the 1500 is so expensive is that they are quoting €500 for this piece of one-off kit. Am I being ripped off? In fairness have only consulted one so far, my original company (the one I referred to in the first post) has gone bust - shocker! If anyone wants me to outlay what makes up the 1500 (apart from the 500 one off on GSM unit), I will do.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I am on a tight budget but will get it if its good value as we really need it I feel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

€1500 seems excessive.
    Is this a complete new system? ie all new devices on windows doors etc as well.
    If its just Panel keypad , bells , battery & GSM its a bit steep.
    GSMs vary in price but the dearest is around €320 - €350 depending on where they are souced.

€500 is about right for panel keypad bells and battery without the digi.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    €1500 seems excessive.
    Is this a complete new system? ie all new devices on windows doors etc as well.
    If its just Panel keypad , bells , battery & GSM its a bit steep.
    GSMs vary in price but the dearest is around €320 - €350 depending on where they are souced.

€500 is about right for panel keypad bells and battery without the digi.

Well I should explain: Its a three story house, original system is 6-7 years old, wired throughout ground and first floor for the most part, and extends up into one vulnerable room on third floor. Panel, keypad and bells exists already. It is a wired system that is in place at moment, with sensors. What this company want to do is come in first for an hour or two and go through what is there and test each sensor to see if its working (45 euro per hour so I figure 80 - 90 euro). So on the plus it will only cost me that to see if any sensors are broken. So say allowing for three out of the 20 I think we have to be broken (cost of 40 each for new ones, so 120, here's hoping none are broken!)

A new battery (Reserve) is to go in at cost of 30.

New bellbox to replace the old company's is 90 (which I think is a bit of a rip off, the old one still functions fine bar the emblem, with flashing light still functional etc.)

A new addition will be a pet friendly PIR (don't ask how it works, the guy assures me it will be ok even with cat and dog?), this is €215.

A cert for house insurance to say all up to scratch is at €45.

The GSM unit as stated is €500.

Then monitoring company which in fairness is different to this company comes to 165. The company in question here for a year's maintainence is 260, which included 2 check up visits and any other problem covered. What do you think? The first cost will be 1500 (including year long coverage) based on above figures (may be a bit off but roughly), each year thereafter including 2 agreements is €500. What you think? So technically its 1500 to get all up and running, or 1335 from this company specifically.

I never heard of charging you for initial survey.
    I , for one, have no problem looking at a system , checking sensors & then quoting for a few various options.
    If you were getting new windows or blinds would you pay the guy who comes out to measure your windows??

Seems like he is pricing some things cheap but making it up on others.
    €90 fitted for a bell is not too bad if its on its own. Combined with other work it should be a bit cheaper.
    €215 for a PiR is way OTT
    Charging for a cert? He is oblidged to issue this. It should be included in any installation.
    Depending on who he is using for certification the certs are either free or at max €15.
    €500 for GSM is a little steep again if part of a full install.
    €260 for service maintenance & monitoring is not bad, but I would insist on unlimited routine call outs . Otherwise there may be more clawed back here if there are any issues.
    Also bear in mind you should not be paying maintenance for the 1st year as the system would be under guarantee .
    What is the price for new panel etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

tommy21 wrote: »
    Rather than starting a new thread, I said I would continue here. To bring my 7-8 year old system up to scratch will cost 1500 from one company. The ongoing charge per year including both a maintenance agreement and a monitoring agreement (from another company) comes to €500. Is this the norm?! I also wanted to ask what the going rate for a GSM unit is (essentially a mobile phone within my alarm as we no longer have a fixed line phoneline) - the reason the 1500 is so expensive is that they are quoting €500 for this piece of one-off kit. Am I being ripped off? In fairness have only consulted one so far, my original company (the one I referred to in the first post) has gone bust - shocker! If anyone wants me to outlay what makes up the 1500 (apart from the 500 one off on GSM unit), I will do.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I am on a tight budget but will get it if its good value as we really need it I feel.

That price does seem expensive. As koolkid has pointed out you should be covered in the first year as its a new system. For an upgrade you would be looking at 400 Euro plus what ever extras to bring the system up to standard. Most system can be brought up to the standards of today to be certified to EN50131. If you did want it monitored through a monitoring station there are cheaper units that will allow the system communicate with a monitoring station through a sim card although I would not recommend it being done that way as any GSM can be easily blocked. A radio system seems the best option on the market as at the moment. That is expensive to have installed and monitored. If you only wanted to monitor the alarm yourself then the normal price for remote access plus self monitoring would be between 400 and 450 Euro for the GSM.

To be honest I would get a few other companys in to have a look at it for you and quote for the job. Some prices seem fair and others are way over priced. It does sound over the top on price but there could also be a good deal of work involved, did the old companys run cables for this system? Where is the control panel located ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

All I can add here is to get anther couple of quotes

Advertisement