Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads being upgraded

Options
  • 03-02-2011 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Some positive scraps about roads from this weeks Waterford Today, the Bilberry Road and Quarry Roads are to be upgraded to include bicycle lanes, roundabouts, dedicated space for the future train, complete vertical and horizontal realignment, lighting etc.

Same for the Northern Extension/Skibereen Road/Cleaboy Road junction.

Add this to the road between Avondale and the ORR currently being done and the Ballygunner roundabout which is just about finished and the imminent start of the works on The Quay, the council are sure making the most of the cheaper tender costs...credit where it's due.

Ard Ri, bottom of Castle Street, Viking Triangle...it's going to be a great year for the city. The Tall Ships need to arrive here more often!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wellbutty wrote: »
    Bilberry Road and Quarry Roads are to be upgraded to include bicycle lanes, roundabouts, dedicated space for the future train, complete vertical and horizontal realignment, lighting etc.

Wow, that should be quite a job - the Bilberry Road is a complete mess as things stand, so it should be interesting to see what they do with it.

...and the Ballygunner roundabout

I think that's a mistake - there are traffic lights that have just gone up there lately (unless this refers to something else in the vicinity of Ballygunner).

The Tall Ships need to arrive here more often!

:D True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Yet they can't find the need to fix roads desolated by the weather over the last year? Butlerstown Road (Ballycashin Roundabout on ORR) has been closed for a year now, and I recently drove to Woodstown on a road that can seriously damage cars. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

gscully wrote: »
    I recently drove to Woodstown on a road that can seriously damage cars. :rolleyes:

That’s the lazy County Council! There not interested in anything passed kilmac.

Any one know the craic with the ballygunner junction at the Gael Scoil?
    I remember planning for a round about but now there's traffic lights up there and no sign of a round about been developed even though the road appears to be designed for one???

Maybe the lights are just for pedestrians???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The_Shotz wrote: »
    That’s the lazy County Council! There not interested in anything passed kilmac.

I remember planning for a round about but now there's traffic lights up there and no sign of a round about been developed even though the road appears to be designed for one???

I went up there earlier to see the traffic lights, I can't believe there's no roundabout there........we have roundabouts elsewhere in half that space :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

gscully wrote: »
    Yet they can't find the need to fix roads desolated by the weather over the last year? Butlerstown Road (Ballycashin Roundabout on ORR) has been closed for a year now, and I recently drove to Woodstown on a road that can seriously damage cars. :rolleyes:

Works are being carried out on the Butlerstown Road and you can still access the ORR from it (even though the signs tell you different)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WTF? That junction was dug out and alligned specifically for a roundabout, hence all the pipe work that was done.

Are the lights permenant looking?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Some positive scraps about roads from this weeks Waterford Today, the Bilberry Road and Quarry Roads are to be upgraded to include bicycle lanes,

Fantastic, more cycle lanes that are improperly though out, placed in stupid places and designed by idiots who don't know what its like to cycle.

The sooner the law is charged to remove the legal obligation to cycle in them the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Some positive scraps about roads from this weeks Waterford Today, the Bilberry Road and Quarry Roads are to be upgraded to include bicycle lanes, roundabouts, dedicated space for the future train, complete vertical and horizontal realignment, lighting etc.

How is the train going to get past all the houses there at the end of Quarry Road, Watersgate I think their called.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

mike65 wrote: »
    WTF? That junction was dug out and alligned specifically for a roundabout, hence all the pipe work that was done.

Are the lights permenant looking?

Yep there permenant, even one of them has a filter arrow!

I don't get it, its clearly laid out for a roundabout.

They also haven't started a round about and have not put road islands in place when approaching so its looking lile traffic lights.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Yep there permenant, even one of them has a filter arrow!

I don't get it, its clearly laid out for a roundabout.

They also haven't started a round about and have not put road islands in place when approaching so its looking lile traffic lights.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Roundabouts and high pedestrian activity do not mix well, this junction was always going to be a singal controlled type. Now is they could only do something about the amount of dog sh1t in this area, a few snipers with a pellet gun maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can see another Folly type saga as people end up sat on the roundabout as someone pushes a pedestrain crossing light for the opposite side of the roundabout, forcing the car to wait despite not going near the pedestrian crossing thats being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hopefully they will do something with the turn onto Bilberry from the bridge. Thats a disaster with only 1 car getting through the lights at a time and holding up the remaining traffic. Some people do it on purpose too I'm convinced. They dont move over to let other traffic pass on inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Hopefully they will do something with the turn onto Bilberry from the bridge. Thats a disaster with only 1 car getting through the lights at a time and holding up the remaining traffic. Some people do it on purpose too I'm convinced. They dont move over to let other traffic pass on inside.

Get a life buddy. People like me turn right @ the Bridge to access Bilberry Road. WTF would I want to do it on purpose day after day. If you dont want to be held up why not leave your house a bit earlier. You would wanna calm down & chill out a bit. Convincing yourself people are turning right to purposely stall traffic flow is a bit far fetched! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Sometimes on my days off i drive out over the bridge, go all the way around the roundabout and back over the bridge, then turn right onto the billberry road. Usually in the morning at around 8.30, just for the laugh, then i do it a few times bewteen 5 and 6 in the evening.

Have a fairly big car and make sure people can't get around me as i wait to turn right. If you'd call this "doing it on purpose" then i suppose I'm guilty...

Get a life buddy. People like me turn right @ the Bridge to access Bilberry Road. WTF would I want to do it on purpose day after day. If you dont want to be held up why not leave your house a bit earlier. You would wanna calm down & chill out a bit. Convincing yourself people are turning right to purposely stall traffic flow is a bit far fetched! :rolleyes:

Well, I may have been exaggerating alright but I would ban people turning right at peak times.

It's actually faster to go up Summerhill and out to the Carrickpherrish Road than go down Bilberry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That is a disaster, I waited for 5 sets of lights at 17:00 there today. I would have moved into the left hand lane if I could but everybody behind me did.

Where we really need a cycle lane is on the Ferrybank dual carriage way. There one older man who cycles home every evening about 5pm and he is taking his life into his own hands. He gets cut off at least once between the quay and the Rockshire Rd.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    That is a disaster, I waited for 5 sets of lights at 17:00 there today. I would have moved into the left hand lane if I could but everybody behind me did.

Thanks for that. At least somebody agrees with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Tenders went into the council last week for a roundabout to be built at the entrance to the northern extension. Long overdue that is. Can be a nightmare there at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

not much of this work been done 2 years one of first things they could try fix is the trench across the road at revolution

Advertisement