Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginger cookies

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

So I gave them a bash today after having a really bad time a few weeks back with a recipe that called for a dangerously large amount of crystallized ginger!

They nearly blew everyone's head off :/

Anyone got any good ginger cookie recipes they'd like to share?

I'll give mine up if anyone is interested. It is SPOT on :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm highly interested! I adore ginger and ginger biscuits.
    Those pictures look great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Thank you! They were really easy to make, I was quite surprised. You'd understand if you saw the last recipe I had! I nearly broke my hands chopping a small mountain of crystallized ginger :o

I go by cup measurements so if you don't then here's a handy little conversion site that might help you out.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html

So anyway, here it is! :)

Perfect Gingersnaps

(Makes about 4 dozen 2 inch cookies)

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground cloves
    Pinch of salt
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup molasses
    3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    Sugar for rolling (I think it's a bit too sweet but if you want to roll your cookies in sugar, demerara would be your safest bet)

Method:

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine together the brown sugar, molasses, canola oil, and egg until smooth.

Mix the flour mixture into the brown mixture, stirring until dough comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 190c and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
    Scoop up bits of dough by the heaping teaspoonful and roll into balls between your palms.
    Roll the balls in sugar and place on the baking sheets 2 inches apart.
    Bake 8 minutes – if you like crispy gingersnaps, try 9-10 minutes.

The cookies will be very soft but will firm up. Leave on the baking sheet several minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

(I found leaving them in for just 8 minutes left them slightly too soft. 9 minutes in was the best turn out.)

Also the recipe calls for refridgeration, I fridged the dough for 15 minutes, but the first batch of cookies didn't have very prominent cracks.
    I refrained from putting the dough back into the fridge between batches and the cracks were lovely from there on out.

Hope this helps and do let me know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Brilliant, thank you. I'm baking tomorrow night, so if you need me on Saturday I shall be in a ginger coma. :D

Oh, how prominent is the clove flavor? I hate cloves, so I wouldn't like to actually taste them...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

reallyrose wrote: »
    Brilliant, thank you. I'm baking tomorrow night, so if you need me on Saturday I shall be in a ginger coma. :D

I made some ginger cake there last week.. I kept getting these crazy ginger cravings during the night..

It was terrible! So I went on a massive GINGER binge one night!

I'll give you that recipe too if you fancy :) The other half hates ginger with a passion so it's forbidden when she's around :(
    Making the most of being home alone :pac:

Also, the clove flavour?! Do not worry at all. I DETEST cloves unless they're stuck in a ham and not in my mouth.. But the last few recipe's I've made, I left out the "ground cloves" and boy could you notice.. I made Gur cake on Tuesday and everyone said it was nice, but something was missing... It was the cloves!
    The cloves bring a really nice depth of flavour to the cookies and it's not very powerful. If it makes you feel any better I put two generous teaspoons of ginger and cinnamon in and a skant teaspoon of ground cloves :P
    Just don't leave it out altogether. I was afraid too but trust me, it's a good balance!

Advertisement