Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord inspecting bedrooms

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I looked in citzens info site and only thing it said was 'the landlord has a right to reasonable access to the property to carry out repairs' but would it be within your rights as a tenant to refuse the landlord inspecting the bedrooms in the property, anyone with any experience of this or the legal info that i can't find :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

They have a right to carry out inspections on the porperty at appropriate intervals [usually it's around every 6months depending on the length of the lease] They must give suitable notice and are not allowed open presses or drawers or wardrobes etc but they are allowed check every room that is rented in the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Mine used to be checked every 3 months by the agent, it's no biggy they just want to make sure you're not punching holes in the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

ztoical wrote: »
    They have a right to carry out inspections on the porperty at appropriate intervals [usually it's around every 6months depending on the length of the lease] They must give suitable notice and are not allowed open presses or drawers or wardrobes etc but they are allowed check every room that is rented in the property.

+1
    They have the right to inspect every room at reasonable intervals.
    I disagree with this, if you are to treat the place you rent as your home, you shouldn't have to allow a stranger to inspect it, but unfortunately it is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Baralis1 wrote: »
    I disagree with this, if you are to treat the place you rent as your home, you shouldn't have to allow a stranger to inspect it, but unfortunately it is the law.
    A rental property is your home. But we're hardly talking about a stranger, it's the owner of the property. If the owner couldn't inspect parts of a property until the end of the lease, there is always the risk that the tenant may have caused considerable damage to the property without the owner being aware of it.

As a renter, I'd rather have a landlord who took a reasonable (but not excessive or intrusive) interest in the state of their property, rather than a landlord who simply wants to receive the rent and couldn't care less about the condition of the property. Also, if you're having any issues with the property, an inspection is the best time to point it out (assuming you can be there when the landlord is present, which I usually prefer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I wouldn't be happy with a landlord being there without me present (even with the required notice) but they do have a right to inspect everywhere structurally. They cant open presses and wardrobe etc though afaik.
    My first landlord did a lot of this c. every three months or so, but my current one checked once after about 3 months and has left us to it since. I like it that way :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement