Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy to have a job???

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭

I know I should be very, very happy to have a job, considering that I was unemployed for 13 months and when I have been offered this position I was over the Moon, well I have to say that I am dying to get out, I feel I am at the end of my wits. There are so so many issues its unbelievable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Don't listen to that "lucky to have a job" crap, if you dislike it so much and could possibly affect your mental health then just leave! There is probably someone else out there more suited to the job! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I hate that "happy to have a job crap." I left my job at the start of the year because I was being bullied and when I made my complaints nothing was done by management and the situation got worst with the staff members involved. I left that job straight away and am now unemployed for the first time since I was 17. Frankly I'm happy not to have a job right now.

If you're not happy, leave. It's not worth being upset over, life is too short x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you spend too long listening to the "lucky to have a job" brigade you get a username like me!

You are not lucky to have a job, you applied for it and kept it. Your employer is lucky to have you :)

Saying that, do nothing drastic, burn no bridges and take your time making decisions before you move on.
    If needs be see a GP before mental health issues take over, it's good to talk and a GP in Ireland knows the score over stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

dont quit until you get a new job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

I wouldnt quite, I have an awful feeling about this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

I'm so sick of the "lucky to have a job" line. I'm not lucky to have the added stress, worry, increased blood pressure and all that goes with having a job.

If you can stick it out for another while and just apply for as many jobs as possible hopefully something will come up soon enough for you to be able to move. Try make work a bit more fun and not get to down about it. (I know it's easier said than done & I really should take my own advice on that front, but take it from someone who is a complete ball of stress at the moment it really isn't worth it life is way too short)

Almost walked out at lunch today, got into my car started the engine, if it weren’t for a girl in work i would have been gone so fast. It’s the constant threats about not being made permanent that gets me. I have the worst luck in jobs lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Try and work out exactly what the issues are and make decisions about how to handle them. Try to 'stand back' from the job a bit and find positive ways of looking at things.

For example 'threats about not being made permanent'. OK, you dont want to be permanent at the moment, in fact you would rather be gone, so that really isn't a threat. Obviously someone thinks it is and is winding you with it. Respond by being calm and not particularly interested in the threat - you have a job today, worry about tomorrow when it comes. You are not going to change the situation by getting uptight about it.

Look at the other issues. Are there any that don't really affect you, maybe you are upset/annoyed on someone else's behalf? Don't get involved. Office politics - don't get involved unless something absolutely affects you personally.

Remember you are still fairly new, there may be things that you are misunderstanding or just have not got the hang of yet. Make an effort to be cool and calm about everything and especially don't get involved in carping/gossip sessions with your colleagues, they always make problems seem worse than they are.

That's exactly what happened I was accused of gossip, when I wasn't involved. And my first day in that place, I was warned about this particular person, to watch out for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Think about what you would like to do, or what you are good at. Imagine your ideal job enviroment. Do you prefer working with people/customers or working in the backround? Are you more interested in finance or fashion? etc. Look sometimes you just end up doing a job you hate or people you dont like, it happens most people, but you will have more chance of not hating the job if its something you have an interest in. Or maybe you'd like to start you're own business or work in a different country. Office/workplace politics is just insignificant noise at the end of the day, keep as much distance as possible from it. Make a plan and then get out. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Any job that makes you miserable isn't worth it.

Sometimes fear of being broke etc. keeps you in a job, but it's a sad existence that's motivated by fear.

I hated a job I was in for three years and left it to go traveling (I was lucky that I could I guess) but the sense of relief walking out on my last day was actually physically noticable...my chest loosend, my stress levels dropped and a horrible sense of dread that was always in the pit of my stomach vanished...

I never felt happier or more elated to be unemployed.

Some things just aren't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sparkle flipping

I have a similar but different issue. I am 6 months into a 9 month unpaid internship with a national media house. I am so sick of everyone around me complaining about wage cuts, one even told me i was lucky nto to be getting paid so i didnt have to see the misearable cuts they were experiencing! its so hard to keep motivated when you work 9 odd hours a day five days a week and still have to scrape by on 188 euro, getting the same as some of those on social welfare sitting on their ar*es at home. :((((

There is little chance of me being made a full employee, so I dunno whether to quit now or stay on and get the last bit of experience

There is little chance of me being made a full employee, so I dunno whether to quit now or stay on and get the last bit of experience

You really should stick it out - it's only another 3 months and at least when you've finished it you'll have it to put on your CV. Try making the best of it for the moment and not get caught up in the bitching about pay being cut, everyone is in the same boat so we need to look on the bright side.

Maybe talk to your supervisor about doing a different aspect of the job for the next 3 months it might make things more interesting.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I hated a job I was in for three years and left it to go traveling (I was lucky that I could I guess) but the sense of relief walking out on my last day was actually physically noticable...my chest loosend, my stress levels dropped and a horrible sense of dread that was always in the pit of my stomach vanished...

I never felt happier or more elated to be unemployed.

Some things just aren't worth it.

Oh to have the money to go travelling:D I'm in a job at the moment which is making me feel the way you described and look forward to the day I can walk out and have those feelings vanish. I plan to be gone in the not to distant future but for financial reasons I'm kinda stuck at the moment until I have another job to go to. The fear of being broke and not having a job is what's kept me here for this long!

Thanks everyone for your advice, I have had a few interviews the most recent one on Friday, so I am just waiting to hear back from them now. God I hope I can hand in my notice by the 1st of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't burn bridges when you leave.

I was forced to do an exit interview in my last job.

I answered no comment to everything. Or rather "I have no feedback to give"
    I had nothing good to say but I wasn't going to say anything bad either

We don't want letting rip OP on your last day no matter how much you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

man i know EXACTLY how you feel, im suffering from a little of depression right last few months because of my job, im miserable, a few people got let go which has put a bit more pressure on the rest of us, i work in a warehouse myself. it seem to be the norm that if you have a job your supposed to shut up and put up. but its affecting my mental health. i cringe going into work, it's gotten to the point i hardly talk to any of the lads in there anymore and i keep to myself now, i just don't enoy life that much anymore. but the alternative is alot worse.

Ah I would not plan on burning any bridges, but at the same time I don't plan on working my notice either to be honest, which is one week, that is if i get the job, i should know by tomorrow. Then again they might notice i hate it and let me go at the end of my probation, who knows, I though I was able to hide it pretty well.

@Nodferatu - i hope it gets better in ur place.

So I have no other job, but I have however received a very threatening letter from management, and HR is looking to meet with me, over my work... now, my work is basically, well.....I am "top" every week, so I wonder what else can there be?

Reading between the lines, I am looking at getting my P45 on Monday, I am actually relieved if I am honest, but I don't want to be let go unfairly and I shall not leave without a fight, as much as I hate it, its a job, and its money at the end of the month, even if it comes with all sort of problems and stress.

I need it in order to get another job. I am at the end of my wits, he is basically judging me on my personality, not my capability to do the job. I am over qualified for the position, so what? I know, I am even more qualified then my own boss, I know so what? some would say. I have all the proof that i am great at my job, but somehow my personality does not match the work environment, I mean I clash with a certain girl in work, now i just stay away, as i am at the end of my powers. But for me it looks like it will be the dole queue very soon.

If I get fired, the J.D show will be very happy to speak to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Anna that sounds like a completely crazy situation to be in. You don't have the P45 yet, so try not to worry too much, keep looking.
    You're not crazy to hate the job.It's ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement