Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl Dies on Waterloo Rd. [Condolences thread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

R.I.P In peace.

R.I.P. I'm sure that Fianna Fail planted it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,905 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Christ almighty... probably walking home from work and she gets killed by a falling tree - RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,905 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

glasso wrote: »
    R.I.P. I'm sure that Fianna Fail planted it.

Pathetic

Can we stop pointing out mistakes in posts and the like?
    The woman was killed in a very unlucky and tragic accident.
    R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

RIP. Thats terrible, was walking under large tree's myself today and the thought of something like that happening crossed my mind. Very tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus that's a freak one alright. Probably just walking home from work like any other day. My sympathies go out to family & friends

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved to here.

Remember this ain't After Hours but i'm sure the mods here will remind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Absolutely awful. To think that if she had gotten distracted for a couple of seconds she would have missed the tree. I cannot get over how tragic this is. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Absolutely awful. To think that if she had gotten distracted for a couple of seconds she would have missed the tree. I cannot get over how tragic this is. R.I.P.
    There but for the grace of God go I.
    Deepest condolences to her family.
    Air Dheis Dé go raibh a h'anaim
    Requiescat In Pace

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

I work nearby myself.The tree fell at just after 5. The fire brigade arrived after about 10 mins and had the tree removed off her within 2 mins. An ambulance didn't arrive until twenty to six. Vital time was lost as she was still alive and people were comforting her while waiting for the ambulance. She soon lost consciousness. Heartbreaking stuff. I dont want to get too political but vital minutes were lost and ex ministers have blood on their hands today. Over half an hour for an ambulance in disgraceful. She could have been given a better chance:(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

MrPoker wrote: »
    I work nearby myself.The tree fell at just after 5. The fire brigade arrived after about 10 mins and had the tree removed off her within 2 mins. An ambulance didn't arrive until twenty to six. Vital time was lost as she was still alive and people were comforting her while waiting for the ambulance. She soon lost consciousness. Heartbreaking stuff. I dont want to get too political but vital minutes were lost and ex ministers have blood on their hands today. Over half an hour for an ambulance in disgraceful. She could have been given a better chance:(

RIP

That is not good enough! Over half an hour for ambulance to arrive? Heads should roll!

The poor woman, my sympathies to her family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was actually in Leeson Street for a meeting from 5-6pm. Having seen a branch fall in Dartmouth Square, the last thing I said as I left was "be careful out there".
    I work nearby myself.The tree fell at just after 5. The fire brigade arrived after about 10 mins and had the tree removed off her within 2 mins. An ambulance didn't arrive until twenty to six. Vital time was lost as she was still alive and people were comforting her while waiting for the ambulance.
    Most fire brigade crews will include several paramedics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I

RIP

Over half an hour for somewhere minutes away from several hospitals is a disgrace. Fair enough if it's in the middle of the countryside, but just south of the city centre, I can't understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Cianos wrote: »
    Over half an hour for somewhere minutes away from several hospitals is a disgrace.

I thought the wait time was supposed to be 11-14 minutes for a cardiac (emergency) ambulance. That's desgraceful.

Anyway, that's off topic. God love the poor woman, my heart goes out to all of her loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

This is the second such incident in the past few years.

A woman was killed in Limerick in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cosmic wrote: »
    I thought the wait time was supposed to be 11-14 minutes for a cardiac (emergency) ambulance. That's desgraceful.
    To be fair, we don't know the exact circumstances. Perhaps it was the nearest ambulance but it was still 10 minutes on the other side of the hospital when they got the call. Perhaps the person making the call didn't relay the seriousness of the injuries (she was conscious after all). The traffic would also have been quite heavy, which is always a barrier.

We called an ambulance for a suspected stroke for my Mum on Stephens' night, in that vicious wind and rain with ice everywhere, and the ambulance made it from Naas to the backarse of nowhere 15 miles away in less than 25 minutes.

I honestly don't think that the ambulance service would intentionally or even negligently arrive late on the scene of an accident. Each scenario needs to be examined on its own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

seamus wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that the ambulance service would intentionally or even negligently arrive late on the scene of an accident.

I wasn't blaming the ambulance service, I was thinking more along the lines of the HSE in general (lack of resources / funding provided, etc). I completely understand your point though. It always just upsets me to think that the loss of someone could maybe have been prevented - but that's a whole can of worms in itself really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads lets keep it on topic eh, there are other more appropriate forum for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Also, she was 45, a woman, hardly a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

RIP, walked by yesterday but didnt realise someone had died!

And FYI, all DFB crews are fully trained paramedics, so there would have been about 12 paramedics on scene. The lack of Ambulance comes down to the fact that there are 11 emergency ambulances covering the majority of Dublin. In any case, a freak accident, thoughts with family and friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

That's a rotten break.

Condolences to her family and friends.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

R.I.P.

Tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jaysus, nobody could expect that and it could happen to anybody. Poor woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Had she been there seconds after, this tragedy would've been avoided.A case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Read this in yesterdays independent. It was her birthday on friday, such a tragic story

'At 5pm she was at her desk and at 5.30 this happened as she went home. God help her'

THE woman killed by a falling tree in a freak accident as she walked home from work was the daughter of a former government chief whip.

Lynda Collins, a devoted mother of three, died in what her family described yesterday as "a very sudden and shocking" incident in Dublin on Thursday evening.

Ms Collins, who was due to celebrate her 46th birthday yesterday, was crossing Waterloo Road when the mature tree snapped behind her in the gale force winds. She tried to escape its path, but was pinned down.

"At five she was at her desk in the ESB and at half five this happened as she walked home," her brother Tom O'Brien told the Irish Independent. "It is just incredible. God help her."

Eyewitnesses said there were between 50 and 100 people on the scene within seconds attempting to comfort her and to move the tree, but it was too heavy.

Hospital

The emergency services freed Ms Collins, but she was pronounced dead at St Vincent's Hospital shortly afterwards.

Her husband Richard, financial director with Superquinn, was rushed by gardai to the hospital but his wife had already passed away. The couple have three children: Georgia (14), Robert (13) and Juliana (8).

"She was a great mother," Mr O'Brien said. "She really looked after her youngest -- she looked after them all -- but her youngest has special needs and she really looked after her very well.

"She was just great, full of energy, a chartered accountant, worked in the ESB, just a great girl, a great girl."

Her husband Richard described her as a "very giving person", and spoke of her charity work and how she put her own career on hold to help Juliana overcome severe epilepsy.

"She was a really outgoing and warm person, and a great mixer, whereas I'm the opposite," he said. "I knew the day I met her I wanted to marry her."

Ms Collins had worked in the ESB offices on Fitzwilliam Street, following in the footsteps of both her father and her grandfather.

"We have a long tradition in the ESB, she was well-known and liked in there," her brother said.

Her father, Fergus O'Brien (80), is a former Fine Gael TD for Dublin South Central, and twice served as Chief Whip in governments led by Garret FitzGerald in the 1980s. He retired from the Dail in 1992.

Ms Collins was the second eldest of six. Yesterday, flower bouquets were left at the scene of the incident -- outside the International School of Dublin -- while tree surgeons cleared the site and ensured remaining trees were secure. The driver of a car that was struck by the same tree managed to escape without serious injury.

- Jason O'Brien

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

What a way to go... Tragic, must be terrible for her poor family

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Very tragic news, condolences to her family!:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement