Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working full time but want a pup..

• 03-02-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I am the type of person that believes a house isn't a home without a dog, My partner and I have been thinking of getting a small breed, I am so excited and running away with myself looking at dogs on websites....problem is as the title suggests, I work full time 4 and half days and my partner works 5 days, I have friends that own dogs and work full time but I am a little concerned and a pang of guilt comes over me when I think of it here by itself during the day, I would take a few days off initially to make sure she/he is settled.

Can I ask if anyone out there is in this position/or ever has done this and it been a good idea?!

Thanks
    Px
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

When I got my pup I was working full time but I was able to go home at lunchtime for an hour and a half to break up the day. It never had a detrimental effect on him and he didn't become destructive.

If you can get someone to call in for an hour or so during the day to play with the dog or walk it this may eleviate some of the boredom. You could also try crate training but I wouldn't recommend the dog be left in a crate for 8 hours (assuming you work normal office hours) because it will start to feel like a prison and he/she will go mad in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would recommend adopting either two adult dogs, or one adult dog that's used to being alone (though rescues are very reluctant to rehome single dogs to houses where they will be alone all day).

You simply won't have the time to give a puppy the attention and training it needs if you work full time. Being alone all day would be bad for the pup mentally too. It could get very bored and develop some bad habits.

If you can get two adults who get on well they will be company whilst you're out during the day; my pair are inseperable. Having two honestly isn't any more hassle than having one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I wouldnt recommend a pup being alone all day. As said above one adult dog that is used to being alone or two adults that can keep each other company.

When I say adult even over 18 months would be much more settled than a young pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I wouldn't recommend a puppy either, they take more than a few days to settle in!!

An older dog (or two) would be better. Could you arrange a dog walker to come in during the day for it/them? If you took it out in the morning before work and evenings when you got home and had a dog walker a few days a week that would be good. Although as another poster pointed out, a lot of rescues are reluctant to rehome to people if they are out all day. Not all rescues though, whereabouts are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would recommend fostering a dog over a weekend first seeing how it fits into your lifestyle before taking on such a huge commitment. There are so many ways you can do this. Mind a friends dog, foster for guide dogs, foster for a rescue......

I would not recommend getting any dog when you are working full time especially a pup unless you are going to commit to enrolling the dog in doggy daycare or getting a dog walker at least once a day.

I don't care what anyone else says about their own experiences a dog on his/her own for 8 hours plus per day will not be a happy dog but a lonely dog. Unfortunately dogs are social animals and that is the reality.

I know how you feel as I too would be so excited about the prospect of getting a dog however if the worst senario came about and you took on a dog that you had to give up or put in a shelter that is far harder than the disappointment of not having a dog to begin with.

No rescue will home a dog to a family that are gone most of the day, that is not because these people are mean and unfair, its because countless dogs get handed into them for behavioural problems and barking problems from working homes.

Two adult dogs could be a good answer....if the have previous training and are settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I feel your pain. I love dogs, and grew up in a family that always had a few! We both work full time and toyed with this idea - but the answer is no; it's just not fair. A puppy would be out of the question for sure.

Maybe fostering for a local rescue might be an idea? If you get to know them they may advise you more and also, they could come across an older dog needing a forever home that might suit your needs? You obviously have a good heart when it comes to animals and good on you for thinking about it.

I hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I second that....most people dont even seek advice so well done for putting the dog first and you probably know that deep down its not the right time for a dog seen as you are asking.

It is so nice to see responsible people and I forgot to credit you that in my initial response!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

sorry OP but puppys are really hard work, they need lots of time and effort from you for at least the first few months.
    It wouldn't be fair on the pup and you'd feel guilty knowing that you couldn't give the pup everything they need.

Would you consider getting an older dog?
    Plenty of beautiful dogs looking for loving homes in shelters all over the country, you could ask at your local shelter and there's so many people giving up their pets due to immigration and whatnot that you could get a dog that is fully house-trained/socialized etc,

It is absolutely possible to work full-time AND have a dog, both myself and boyfriend work full-time and we have 2 dogs. you just need to put in plenty of extra effort...walks before work and every evening, dedicate time to training them and just spend time playing and messing with them...and spend time doing nothing with them!:D

however, puppies are a different story and I'm afraid it's not something to consider when you both work, sorry.

You sound like a real dog person though and I hope you consider getting an older dog if you decide to go ahead with it.

Let us know what you decide and best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

well done on seeking advice i agree!

it took me 6 months to totally house train our older dog and about 7 months to train the second, ho still has accidents as she has a weaker bladder. it really take persistance to just toilet train them. and i was at home all day too.

2 dogs that can keep each other company are a good idea. if you can call in at lunch time or have a neighbour call in most days. i dont believe that everyone who works full time cant have dogs - it just takes thought to work around it so they wont get lonely and bored

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

I've been thinking about this a lot recently, we always had dogs growing up and I miss having a dog a lot. What do people do though with irregular schedules? Kennels in garden?

I inherited my mothers dog and it was a disaster, poor dog was used to constant company, had to give her away to a friend eventually. It was just cruel to keep her locked in house all day and she would wander if left out. I really want a dog again but don't think it's possible.

The only single guy I know who manages, gets to work from home a lot, can take the dog with him on road when he gets called out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

You could go to a shelter and explain your situation. They might be able to help you out :)

Advertisement