Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do other mature students do for summer?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right forum!
    I'm a late 20's mature student and I'm already thinking about what to do for the summer.
    Last summer I moved back home, which was a very very long three months! :eek: I don't have any responsibilities like kids. I couldn't find part time work anywhere last summer and I wouldn't want to do any work that would mess up my grant/BTEA. I'm also not too keen on the idea of going travelling because I'd have to go it alone! I don't relish the idea of moving home again and I haven't the option to stay in my present accommodation so would have to look somewhere in Dublin short term but I don't exactly want to spend 100e a week on rent either! Confusing? yes! :p
    So I'm just wondering what other mature students do during the summer holidays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I work to put myself through college for the reminder of the year.

Hopefully go travelling in September though this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

what! u get the BTEA for the summer???

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

i am in a very similar situation maybe we should set up our own company

and btea we get it until the end of june which is great because there is nothing out there , i have had 10 jobs i have no problem in finding one

but there isnt any to find :(

worse still i am moving out for the summer cheap student accomodation

believe me i have to , i wont qualify for a grant or anything , but really have to get out of home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

paky wrote: »
    what! u get the BTEA for the summer???

no, sorry i meant the dole!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

As i did not receive any grants or btea, i worked to put myself through the following year. That was during the boom. ironically,now i have my degree and masters, i cant find any kind of work. great innit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 stacedoll

You'll be back on jobseekers, full time work should not affect your for September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

My summer is bleedin short!!

I have to go to the gaeltacht in June, so that's gone, and I've teaching practice in September, so that's gone too!!

All I have is July and August, woe is me!!!

I'll defo try and get work if I can, not that hopeful though!

What's the deal with BTEA at the end of the year? How long does it run to? Do we need a letter from college to say when the course ends or anything? Do we get a letter telling us it's going to stop so we can go and sign on if that's what we have to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I managed to secure myself work experience, thank goodness is all I thought as a 3 month holiday would have driven me demented. Getting BTEA at the mo but I don't think that will be affected when the new academic year begins.
    JCDUB wrote: »
    My summer is bleedin short!!

I have to go to the gaeltacht in June, so that's gone, and I've teaching practice in September, so that's gone too!!

All I have is July and August, woe is me!!!

I'll defo try and get work if I can, not that hopeful though!

What's the deal with BTEA at the end of the year? How long does it run to? Do we need a letter from college to say when the course ends or anything? Do we get a letter telling us it's going to stop so we can go and sign on if that's what we have to do?

I think towards the end of the college year SW will send a letter requesting the finish time and start time for the new academic year.

Advertisement