Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a gaming orientated PC and could use some help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

100watts is way too much power for that set up go for a 750 or 850 plus for the same price as that phenom x4 you can get a phenom x6
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=34042&agid=1242

gonna have a look for a good set up for ya now will post a screen cap when i'm done =]

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Here's a layout, it's similar to another one I posted earlier, should do the job nicely.

p2x4buildhv.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The above looks good except for the PSU, wayyyyyyy overkill. Save €80 and get a Superflower amazon 550W instead.

• Advertisement

i would suggest a 600 or 650watt tho abit more so theres more head way for overclocking plus adding the option of adding a second gpu

http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28059&agid=1629

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Given the price difference certainly go with the 955 as IrishMetalhead suggests instead of the 970 and overclock it, €114 is a very decent price and the 3.5 GHz of th 970 is easily achieveable, probably even with the stock cooler (3.8-3.9 appears to be the the 'level cap' for these chips anyway regardless of which version you get the 955,965 or 970). All te same I would add in a decent cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 or the Scythe Mugen 2 .

I agree a 650W PSU is really the absolute maximum you should be looking at and even at that would be borderline overkill unless you add a secon GPU and will be doing major overclocking of all the components (Otherwise go with the 550W Superflower FTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Willow01

This all helps alot thanks! I think Im going to go with IrishMetalHeads build but the only thing about it is that the graphics card is out of stock :( is there an equal graphics card I could get instead that would have similar results? I really want to get this stuff ordered as soon as I can :) Thanks again everyone!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Willow01 wrote: »
    This all helps alot thanks! I think Im going to go with IrishMetalHeads build but the only thing about it is that the graphics card is out of stock :( is there an equal graphics card I could get instead that would have similar results? I really want to get this stuff ordered as soon as I can :) Thanks again everyone!

Excellent choice IMO.

There are a couple of others in stock at around the same price from POV and Pallit.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43101&agid=707

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43169&agid=707

If you want to make a small saving I would also consider this HD6870 for 190 (most of the other 6870 on the site are overpriced relative to the GT560) as it falls nicely in the gap between the GT460 the GT 560 performance, has plenty of power if you are gaming on a single Full HD screen.

If you are looking for a modular PSU (otherwise the Superflower 550W is a great choice) I would go with the Antec TruePower 550W (Or if you think you may going with a dual gpu setup and overclocking either the Truepower 650W or the Corsair HX650)

EDIT: Actually if you did want to go Dual GPU down the line the ASUS M4A88T-V EVO has only 16x/4x PCIe slots, you would want to spend a little bit more on a board that can do 16x/8x in that case. Otherwise it is a fine choice. (Personally I think Single powerful GPU is always the best way to go)

• Advertisement

tbh id still go with 650 watt psu if your still gonna go with a single gpu because it does still give you the option to add on later on as an upgrade so go with the hx650 or the truepower 650 like marco recommended
    agreed with marco with the two gpus he linked if your still set on getting a 560 gtx but i would also check out either a hd 6870 or a hd 6950 if you want to check out the amd side of things

Okay so Ill think Ill go with this one http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43101&agid=707&lb

I dont know too much about over clocking or adding another gpu or any of that kinda stuff so I think Ill just play it safe, would this be a good choice do you think?

then a 550 - 600 watt psu will do if your going to stick with a single gpu just make sure its modular ;)

nice choice on the gpu btw

Okay Im gonna buy this stuff now! Thanks a million for all the help!

okay 1 more problem well 2 kind of, Ive put it all together and when I turn it on everything starts up grand except the reset light doesnt turn on theres no beeping and my monitor just says no signal, the second problem I have is just that my monitor can only connect to a VGA port and the ports coming from the graphics card are different :(

okay 1 more problem well 2 kind of, Ive put it all together and when I turn it on everything starts up grand except the reset light doesnt turn on theres no beeping and my monitor just says no signal, the second problem I have is just that my monitor can only connect to a VGA port and the ports coming from the graphics card are different :(

For you second problem Get a DVI -> VGA adapter (or cable) like one of these and you should be all set.

dvi-vga-dongle_6_249.jpg

When you say the monitor has no signal how is it connected, or are you using a differernt one for the moment?

Ah okay Ill get one of them then, I have it connected to the normal VGA port on the motherboard not the one coming from the graphics card, any opinion on the lack of beeping and the reset button light not coming on?

ok the reason your not getting a signal is because your trying to plug your monitor into the motherboards onboard graphics it has to be connected to the graphics card plus is your front panel headers hooked up correctly? and did you hook up the buzzer that should come with the case?

So when the graphics card is attached the the onboard graphics dont work I take it? well the light for the power button comes on fine but the one for the reset button doesnt come on at all I dont see any problem with the way Im attaching themIm attaced the little speaker I got with the case too but still no sound :(

well with the speaker it could be just a case of turning it around if tgat fails its more than likely it was doa same could be said about the reset header
    thats all i can syggest
    and yes the onboard graphics disqbles itsekf when you have a dedicated graphics card in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ah okay Ill get one of them then, I have it connected to the normal VGA port on the motherboard not the one coming from the graphics card, any opinion on the lack of beeping and the reset button light not coming on?

You`ll get sent out those adapters, they come with the graphics card

Ah right so the DVI -> VGA adapter should sort out the screen thing right?Because I didnt get one with the graphics card for some reason.
    Would the speaker be easy to replace? Also can you replace the reset header or is the too complicated? Argh so close yet so far! lol

Advertisement