Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you survive the storm?

• 04-02-2011 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Got caught of the hop and left my 1metre dish parked at 28.2e overnight and the atlantic storm last night thrashed it. I will have to get my ladders out now and go realigning it over the weekend and I can see the dish moved about half a inch on the motor arm but the motor itself stayed locked onto the mount pole!

I was wondering when I get it realigned and USALS back tracking the arc again would it be worth welding the joints to prevent slippage in high winds again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Would have thought it might be better to realign it and leave it as is.

If the dish moved on the motor arm, then you only have to rotate that back to where it was, maybe make an alignment mark for the "next" time.

Otherwise if there's no give between the dish and the motor arm, you could need major realignment of motor or mount or even replacement of motor (and more realignment) if the works get damaged.

I'm sure you'll get better advice from people with more experience with motor systems than I have.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

reports from the homeplace in the west are not good, both dishes out of line. They never moved in the last 6-7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think mine is fine. MBC on 26E only has 39% signal and keeps dropping to 0% for a split second. But that might just be because the weather in Sligo is still s*ite and that satellite isn't very strong. The rest seem to be okay at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I had mine parked at 15west so it was about 5mm from a wall. I also disabled the motor from vu. Hope it will all be good when I turn it back on later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

My 1m Gibertini moved slightly in the gales.
    I was lying awake in bed last night with the sound of gales howling and lashing against the house and dreading that my dish would be blown away .
    The noise was insane.

2 years up and my dish has needed realignment every 6-8 months due to the motor bracket moving westwards on the pole.
    The dish has never moved on the motor arm and the dish elevation has never changed .The motor bracket always moves westwards due to the clamps being poorly designed.
    I'm going to have to replace the clamps ,hopefully that will stop it moving but I honestly think motorised dishes are unsuitable in this country ,its just too windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

my 1.1m Triax on Motek SG2010 is wobbling in a scary way. Still aligned though.

134104.png

Seems to be the rotor arm of motor rather than the pole.

The 90/95cm Triax for fixed multifeeds as steady as a rock, even though skinny pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Sky dish on Chimney kaput after wind. Went out to check it today and could actually see it swinging around 5 inches in the wind either way. Not good :(
    I so hate Sierra for making a balls of it in the first place, they were out twice to sort out their mess and it was still never fully sorted.

Got permission though today to install a dish on the front of my house so as soon as the winds have died down, I'll have to organise removal of the sky dish from chimney and sort out a multi sat install with a TD78 probably with a bracket for 13/19/28 if possible. At least the front of the house will be sheltered, so worried about the chimney being damaged (or worse) from the poorly installed sky dish - or it coming loose and smashing around the place while still attached to the cables :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That will be good. Nice easy ladder acess to swap LNBs. They do die. Even Static due to nearby storm. Or Dry dusty wind. running an earth wire from mount to a ground spike below the dish in front garden is a good idea. Normally the masonry is damp enough that dish earthing isn't needed in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'm having problems with 16E and 9E. It's a motorised dish, and all the satellites either side of, and in between, those two appear fine. On 16E, I can get some of the channels, but the ones I actually watch (those on Tring) all have too poor a signal to get now, and none of the channels on 9E have a strong enough signal. Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing the problem? I would have assumed the motor settings were off if it wasn't for the fact that I can get all the other satellites that I have programmed in. The receiver uses USALS to move between sats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

quick question for anyone who has a multi braket dish , like the triax td88

do you have any problems during days with high winds like this weekend?

i tried to install it a while back to get 28 ,19 and 13 east and the positioning seems so sensitive that with strong winds , the signal could easily be lost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

j4vier wrote: »
    quick question for anyone who has a multi braket dish , like the triax td88

do you have any problems during days with high winds like this weekend?

i tried to install it a while back to get 28 ,19 and 13 east and the positioning seems so sensitive that with strong winds , the signal could easily be lost
    I had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

tomslick wrote: »
    I had mine parked at 15west so it was about 5mm from a wall. I also disabled the motor from vu. Hope it will all be good when I turn it back on later.
    No problems here. All sats working as before the storm.

Ended up I bought one of these (in Red/Dark Brown colour to match brickwork on house somewhat)...
    http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/antennen-visiosat/visiosat-bisat-g2-smc-parabolantenne-fuer-2-lnb.html

Along with this addition...

http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/antennen-visiosat/visiosat-multifeed-erweiterung-13-192-282.html

Plus 3 x LNB, Dis Switch and sundries.

Thought it a bit of a risk ordering from Germany but they had a cash on delivery option so thought well, nothing to lose if the delivery doesn't turn up.
    Whole package is currently en-route, shall see how it all goes once it arrives.

Should be fun installing it and trying to get it spot on :)

Was thinking of getting the BISATMulti version of that dish but it wasn't available in the red colour and also seemed a bit too big to be putting on the front of my house. The one I'm getting will be weird enough looking as it is.

BTW, can anyone recommend an installer that could remove an old sky dish from my chimney for not a lot of money ? I don't have a ladder handy any more that's big enough to get up to the roof myself, it's been knocked out of alignment since the big winds the other day and I just want it down at this stage :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Lost Hotbird 13E after the winds. Found a fella to realign it for me next week for €40. I miss Al Jazeera already! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Lost Hotbird 13E after the winds. Found a fella to realign it for me next week for €40. I miss Al Jazeera already! :(

You can get Al Jazeera News in English FTA on 28.2E or is it Al Jazeera Arabic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Stinicker wrote: »
    You can get Al Jazeera News in English FTA on 28.2E or is it Al Jazeera Arabic?

Al Jazeera news is on just about every satellite. I think he meant JSC Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Al Jazeera Sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Yep, JSC Sports. Bit disappointed I can't get it sorted until next week, but heading to a mate with Sky Sports tonight so will catch the Sporting Gijon game there. :)

I thought maybe my Hotbird 13E needed a retune but I've no satellite signal for that tuner and no other channels so I think it's been kicked offline by the winds last week.

When the fella comes round to realign the dish I think I'll get him to get the bracket looked at. The bloke who fitted it said the dish was poor quality (I got it from tvtrade.ie but had another company install it).

Advertisement