Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Donegal news & views

Options
  • 02-02-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Is Dessie Larkin running now in NE?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Since the Labour Party has effectively shelved Frank Mc Brearty and are now trying to distance themselves from him , where do they go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

They dont seem to have much support in Donegal when they recruited Jimmy Harte and tried to pull that stunt with Pringle i wonder what votes were for the labour party vs votes for mcbrearty in the by-election it seems to be more of a candidate following than party following.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

no no no .

I did say there was going to be one thread only and I give a strong suggestion for the title but no one politician is going to headline it.

its late so I'll see to this in the morning.

thread locked

Thread opened again and retitled. This will now be used for all discussions concerning the election.

A reminder to everyone of what was posted elsewhere
    Comments, thoughts, opinions etc should relate to the Donegal constituencies and candidates only. Any comments posted about national politics will be moved to the politics forum or deleted depending on content.

Senna wrote: »
    Is Dessie Larkin running now in NE?
    Old news now I suppose but he wont be running for FF.

He appears to be fairly popular and it wouldn't surprise me if he ran as an independent and performed reasonably well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

who is actually standing for election in donegal

puffdragon wrote: »
    Since the Labour Party has effectively shelved Frank Mc Brearty and are now trying to distance themselves from him , where do they go from here?
    I think the issue should be where does big Frank go from here.

There are only a couple of declared candidates yet but nominations close next week (open to correction on that) so we will definitely have the full picture then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

see the mud slinging has started pearse doherty has claimed he is a civil engineer when he's actually a civil engineer technician
    is this the best that they can do

http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/02/03/pearse-doherty-accused-of-misleading-public-on-his-education/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

So far......

Donegal North east
    Joe Mc hugh - FG
    John Ryan - FG
    Padraig MacLochlainn - SF
    Charlie McConalogue - FF
    Jimmy Harte - Lab
    Betty Holmes - IND
    Ryan Stewart - IND

Donegal South west
    Mary Coughlan - FF
    Brian O'Domhnaill - FF
    Dinny Mc Ginley - FG
    Pearse Doherty - SF
    Frank McBrearty - Lab
    Thomas Pringle - IND
    Ann Sweeney - IND
    John Duffy - GP

• Advertisement

Donegal SW seem to be cut and dried going by paddy powers odds FF seem to be getting 3rd seat by default if only there was a stronger candidate i thought SF would have maybe ran Cora Harvey! cant see why FF are running 2 candidates when BOD hasn't a hope!

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-government?ev_oc_grp_ids=398451

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

cosanostra wrote: »
    Donegal SW seem to be cut and dried going by paddy powers odds FF seem to be getting 3rd seat by default if only there was a stronger candidate i thought SF would have maybe ran Cora Harvey! cant see why FF are running 2 candidates when BOD hasn't a hope!

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-government?ev_oc_grp_ids=398451

I agree with this. Pearse to top the poll with Mary and Dinny taking the other two seats, not sure what order. Yes, I'm surprised Cora Harvey is not running. On the other hand, she probably wouldn't get elected and she might do harm to Doherty's vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I wouldnt have coughlan home and dry yet...
    and yes, BOD hasn't a hope.
    If labour had anyone but mcb, they could have threatened.
    i expect pringle to stay underneath the radar and do very well on transfers, with an outside chance of the third seat

retalivity wrote: »
    I wouldnt have coughlan home and dry yet...
    and yes, BOD hasn't a hope.
    If labour had anyone but mcb, they could have threatened.
    i expect pringle to stay underneath the radar and do very well on transfers, with an outside chance of the third seat

If sinn fein vote manage their no 2s to pringle this could be likely he would be an independant allie of sinn fein in the dail however allot of sinn fein voters will not give another preference, over anything else i would love to see caughlan loose her seat i think she'll scrape through!

Boards.ie have now gone live with their "vote in the general election" poll.

Get your asses over there and vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Mc Brearty will do as much harm to labour as Gerry is doing to SF remember what we're voting for here is on a national scale these people will in the near future dictate to a large degree the future of our country.!! If your going to denounce Pearse Doherty for misrepresenting himself(which he shouldent have done) then where do you go with Frank Mc Brearty,? no schooling at all and a bad attitude to boot!!

puffdragon wrote: »
    Mc Brearty will do as much harm to labour as Gerry is doing to SF remember what we're voting for here is on a national scale these people will in the near future dictate to a large degree the future of our country.!! If your going to denounce Pearse Doherty for misrepresenting himself(which he shouldent have done) then where do you go with Frank Mc Brearty,? no schooling at all and a bad attitude to boot!!

I think the whole Pearse civil engineer/technician thing was blown out of proportion although he did misrepresent himself i dont think he done so on purpose or more importantly he didnt gain anything from it!

Regarding FMB i think the question needs to be asked if elected how long would he remain in the labour party?
    I dont think anyones education should come into being a good public representative but his attitude is why i wouldnt vote for him

I dont think anyones education should come into being a good public representative

Its definitely a start

as someone said on the politics forum, that did the same diploma in waterford they called themselves civil engineers
    (i have an ordinary degree in chemistry and would call myself a chemist if i worked in it)
    if thats the worst dirt they can dig up on him they are scraping th barrell
    non story imho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'll be voting in NE, but do people really think Mary Coughlan will get back in? I knew she had a large support before, but i cant see the people of the SW voting in anywhere near the same numbers.

I'd say there'll be another candidate in NE before Wednesday.

• Advertisement

I'll be voting in NE, but do people really think Mary Coughlan will get back in? I knew she had a large support before, but i cant see the people of the SW voting in anywhere near the same numbers.

she's F FAIL, and sadly, people still vote blindly

The problem is there is nobody strong enough to break the FF core vote and FF will get the third seat because of that!

Who do you think will put their hat in the ring in Donegal NE?

Has anyone noticed FF are making announcements of funding for local projects on a daily basis?

anyone noticed the almost complete lack of posters, drove from DT to raphoe yesterday and saw a couple of not that i'm complaining nice to see ( the lack of them)
    or is it just that most canidates looked at the weather forecast for last week ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

retalivity wrote: »
    she's F FAIL, and sadly, people still vote blindly

Exactly; this won't change. Short of FF committing some kind of genocide (or something worse than bankrupting the country) people will still vote for them, and be proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

anyone noticed the almost complete lack of posters, drove from DT to raphoe yesterday and saw a couple of not that i'm complaining nice to see ( the lack of them)
    or is it just that most canidates looked at the weather forecast for last week ?

Just drove DT to LK. They are starting to appear. SF in the lead so far. FF in 2nd. Didn't see any FG or LAB. a lot of the FF posters are generic ones with Michael smiling at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

SF are going to do very very well in Donegal.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just drove DT to LK. They are starting to appear. SF in the lead so far. FF in 2nd. Didn't see any FG or LAB. a lot of the FF posters are generic ones with Michael smiling at you.

yep definitely a few more up today - whats up with our mary no FF posters round donegal town :eek:

edit a couple appeared now - very low key almost like she doesnt want to get elected

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Who do you think will put their hat in the ring in Donegal NE?

I thought the Blaney clan might put someone in, or someone else in the guise of IFF, but doesn't look like it now. Although they have a couple of days left.

muffler wrote: »
    There are only a couple of declared candidates yet but nominations close next week (open to correction on that) so we will definitely have the full picture then.
    I've just read that this Wednesday (Feb. 9) is the closing date for nominations.

• Advertisement

Hearing on Highland this morning Dessie Larkin may still run as an independent would people be fooled by the independent guise i know Brian O Domhnaills brother Seamus fooled a lot of people by using the independent front only to flip back to FF I think given time larkin would flip back too or be that closely associated it wouldn't make a difference!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement