Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Donegal news & views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

can someone explain the logic of Lifford being in Donegal SW when it is in neither the south or the west of the county?

Not being local I always assumed it was in Donegal NE along with Letterkenny but when I drove through the other day there were posters from all the SW crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Essexboy wrote: »
    can someone explain the logic of Lifford being in Donegal SW when it is in neither the south or the west of the county?

Not being local I always assumed it was in Donegal NE along with Letterkenny but when I drove through the other day there were posters from all the SW crew.
    Lifford was in the NW constituency up to about 2 years ago when there were revisions made to the electoral boundaries and now it and surrounding areas are in the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I saw another document from the boundary people that listed it in more detail, but now all i can see are these links.

http://electionsireland.org/results/general/boundary/2007constituencies.cfm

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/council/electoralregister/electoralboundarymaps.htm

I think the stranorlar electoral area was expanded to include lifford to make up the 2000+ recommended by the comission

Commission Report here Page 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Dr. Fell wrote: »
    Ah Ha, but this is the thing. There is a logical Ind. candidate in DL SW, Mr Thomas Pringle. Now you may consider this cynical but I and others believe that McCahill's (who is a known FF'er) frivolous move is a ploy to soak up votes that otherwise would have gone to Tom.P. in Glenties/Ardara, thus going some way to lessen the great threat that THE FAIL feel from the Killybegs (Na Cealla Beagga (NCB)) councillor.

This same stunt was pulled at the council election with a well known FF'er running as inbedepdent to help them keep their seat and it worked a treat, it's a sad thing to use the excuse of whats happening to the country to run while it is really a stunt to scupper Pringle and help Mary, you would not mind it she did somthing for the area and she had the chance, they are capable of anything

A sad reality for you folks on Wednesday night Mary was in a bar in Carrick for her election gathering a full house I hear with plenty of yahoos and yippees and great woman yourself Mary, in the same pub last night their was a going away party for 8 young people from the area who have to emigrate because of the state the county is in sad to see and just a sad reflection of what a fecked up country we live in no sign of any of them who were their on Wednesday and when I mentioned this to one of these people in another bar last night I got the reply of "sure isn't it great for them to get out a see the world" talk about living in a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Carrickman wrote: »
    A sad reality for you folks on Wednesday night Mary was in a bar in Carrick for her election gathering a full house I hear with plenty of yahoos and yippees and great woman yourself Mary...

Always knew yiz were a load of yahoo's in that way... :D

• Advertisement

I missed the 2nd half of the England v Italy rugby match as my eyes appeared to have entered into an "extremely long blink mode". After a while I could hear Mary Coughlan's voice and even though my eyes were in this extended blink mode I was trying to figure out where the voice was coming from. Finally I realised she was at my front door in full debate with the guard dog wife and boy oh boy Mary was getting an earful.

As they were getting on so well I stayed in the armchair :)

Carrickman wrote: »
    A sad reality for you folks on Wednesday night Mary was in a bar in Carrick for her election gathering a full house I hear with plenty of yahoos and yippees and great woman yourself Mary, in the same pub last night their was a going away party for 8 young people from the area who have to emigrate because of the state the county is in sad to see and just a sad reflection of what a fecked up country we live in.
    Oh the irony of it....but well said

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was out for a while yesterday and when I came back FF had thrown a flyer through my letterbox.

Bloody ripping I missed them. Was really looking forward to a good old fashioned rant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was out for a while yesterday and when I came back FF had thrown a flyer through my letterbox.

Bloody ripping I missed them. Was really looking forward to a good old fashioned rant.:D

they were probably waiting for you to go out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

NIMAN wrote: »

This will be happening a lot they are very selective about what houses they call to (well they are around here anyway) hence the term that one of the FF candidates used in the last election "I am getting a great reaction on the doorsteps" if you call to known party supporters houses of course they will greet you but as these people are going to vote that way anyway you should focus of the people who are not party supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Anyone have a rough guide on what Mr Pringle stands for? I know he seems to be for renewable energy etc.

I looked on his website and can't figure out where he stands on things like:

Bank bailout, Public Service Reform, Political Reform, Health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

sollar wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough guide on what Mr Pringle stands for? I know he seems to be for renewable energy etc.

I looked on his website and can't figure out where he stands on things like:

Bank bailout, Public Service Reform, Political Reform, Health etc.

His Positions on these are very similar to sinn fein's!

cosanostra wrote: »
    Would that surprise you considering SF was his first party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Cronyism is rampant

cosanostra wrote: »

I would have to disagree he called to my front door a few days ago and was adamant he was not on the same page as SF.

I also doubt that he would be making a donation of almost twice the industrial wage to a political party if he is elected - unlike the sinn fein crew who advertise that they only take home the average industrial wage but in fact take it home and donate it to the party.

I also doubt if Mr. Pringle is about to reclaim the republic in the revolutionary style that sinn fein would like to!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jimm55

muffler wrote: »
    I missed the 2nd half of the England v Italy rugby match as my eyes appeared to have entered into an "extremely long blink mode". After a while I could hear Mary Coughlan's voice and even though my eyes were in this extended blink mode I was trying to figure out where the voice was coming from. Finally I realised she was at my front door in full debate with the guard dog wife and boy oh boy Mary was getting an earful.

As they were getting on so well I stayed in the armchair :)
    WELL DONE, to your guard dog/wife. Every house around here will need one , if that useless, arrogant excuse for a politician is going to be calling around . I just wish she has the neck to call to my house.............. !!!

Mary Coughlan out canvasing tonight. From speaking to her I now believe that FF are the party to sort out the banks, stop the cronyism in Politics, Fix the HSE, Improve the Education system, Revive the fishing Industry..............and get me plannin permission

http://boards.ie/vote/pr-calc.php?c_id=10

The Boards DSW vote has its transfers and stuff in place now; Doherty and Pringle elected safely.
    but it looks like there was some gaming the system in place.
    McCahill with 33 first prefs, and one transfer gets elected on the last count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah. Those results seem slightly 'off'. Did we have a lot of 'first time' posters ??

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vote/pr-calc.php?c_id=10

The Boards DSW vote has its transfers and stuff in place now; Doherty and Pringle elected safely.
    but it looks like there was some gaming the system in place.
    McCahill with 33 first prefs, and one transfer gets elected on the last count?
    Thats been sorted now.

comment on calamity coughlan criticising teaching standards
    She looks like she's been crying non-stop since Biffo masterfully engineered his own downfall and/or that she's been been indulging in a lot of "hoarseness" to avoid facing up to the reality of 25th Feb. She's certainly not as cocky as she was after Biffo promoted her way beyond her IQ and talent levels - but to be fair, she still hasn't lost her ability to say really stupid things while simultaneously giving offence to everyone outside the FF party.
    what the democrat say, FF spin trying to rally the troops by saying she's in trouble or (hopefully) out on her face

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Has there been an opinion poll in Donegal SW? How is it looking? Is there a change that Coughlan could loose her seat? Who is challenging her? I'd expect Doherty & McGinley to be elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Glenman wrote: »
    Has there been an opinion poll in Donegal SW? How is it looking? Is there a change that Coughlan could loose her seat? Who is challenging her? I'd expect Doherty & McGinley to be elected.

Don't understimate the power of ignorant savages It wouldn't surprise me if she gets elected. In fact having FF back in might be a good thing then theyhave to clean up their mess and can't blame another party for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

The boards election simulator results for donegal sw would be great if they hold up not to sure about dinny but then again it might be good to have someone from the constituency in the government its a pity we dont have someone like joe mchugh running in place of dinny i think dinny has become too complacent with his post and will prob end up as cheann comhairle but i dont think there is anyone else worth that 3rd seat

Very impressed with the boards vote set up. Excellent piece of work. But.. was it a technical error or human interference that lead to the weird results this morning ?? I see votes were removed as there is a lower total vote now than there was this morning .

Was also wondering. The traditional ask no questions FF voter in many areas tends to be the older members of society.
    This said these people are less lightly to be using the Internet. This in itself could have a bearing on simulated v reality voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    Was also wondering. The traditional ask no questions FF voter in many areas tends to be the older members of society.
    This said these people are less lightly to be using the Internet. This in itself could have a bearing on simulated v reality voting.

Looking at the over all results I'd say the poll is biased towards SF and against FF. It mightn't be too far out otherwise.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I think there was multiple accounts setup to vote mccahill in DSW... he jumped by about 25 votes in 2 days. Mods seem to have taken out some now

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    But.. was it a technical error or human interference that lead to the weird results this morning ?? I see votes were removed as there is a lower total vote now than there was this morning .
    retalivity wrote: »
    I think there was multiple accounts setup to vote mccahill in DSW... he jumped by about 25 votes in 2 days. Mods seem to have taken out some now
    There was indeed multiple accounts set up. I brought this to the attention of the Boards.ie developers and the guys sorted it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement