Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Donegal news & views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yep.. its all explained here by Darragh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056183248

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

comment on calamity coughlan criticising teaching standards

what the democrat say, FF spin trying to rally the troops by saying she's in trouble or (hopefully) out on her face

The Democrat follows the one party and always has....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

interesting debate on Highland Radio between the Donegal South West election candidates

http://www.highlandradio.com/2011/02/18/listen-back-to-highland-radios-2nd-donegal-sw-election-debate/

I wonder dose Charlie McConalogue like cake and woolly jumpers? Or is it just me that see a likeness to that TV character...

• Advertisement

How come there was a postal delivery today ?? Is it election related????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Speaking to postman yesterday, he said that they'd be delivering the polling cards today. Mine (well one of them) arrived at me house, even though it was addressed to where I lived 3 years ago... now that's service

Remeber: Vote Early, and Vote Often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have been looking at both constituencies and realistically (just my opinion) there are 4 candidates going to battle it out for 3 seats in each constituency.

In the NE I think the 4 top people will be Harte, MacLochlainn, McConalogue and McHugh. I'm going to put my neck on the line here and say that I think MacLochlainn and McHugh will be the first 2 elected with Harte & McConalogue battling it out for the third seat. McConalogue to take it by a very narrow margin.

Shocks: Other than the outside chance of Harte taking the third seat (and I hope he does btw) I dont believe any of the other candidates will have the capacity to cause an upset.

In the SE the 4 favourites will be Coughlan, (I know, I know) Doherty, McGinley and Pringle. I do expect Ó Domhnaill and to a lesser extent McBrearty to feature in the run in but I think it may well be transfers that will push the Tainaiste over the line behind Doherty and McGinley.

Shocks: Ó Domhnaill or Pringle to take Mary's seat. Its possible.

Are pollIng cards out ? Not got mine here yet.

I noticed a lot of the FF posters down this area getting defaced but within a day or a few hours AFAIK they are replaced with new ones they must have some stockpile of posters no expense spared!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

muffler wrote: »
    I have been looking at both constituencies and realistically (just my opinion) there are 4 candidates going to battle it out for 3 seats in each constituency.

In the NE I think the 4 top people will be Harte, MacLochlainn, McConalogue and McHugh. I'm going to put my neck on the line here and say that I think MacLochlainn and McHugh will be the first 2 elected with Harte & McConalogue battling it out for the third seat. McConalogue to take it by a very narrow margin.

Shocks: Other than the outside chance of Harte taking the third seat (and I hope he does btw) I dont believe any of the other candidates will have the capacity to cause an upset.

In the SE the 4 favourites will be Coughlan, (I know, I know) Doherty, McGinley and Pringle. I do expect Ó Domhnaill and to a lesser extent McBrearty to feature in the run in but I think it may well be transfers that will push the Tainaiste over the line behind Doherty and McGinley.

I've a feeling Harte might get through because he is a Letterkenny based candidate. Transfers will be key and FF are going to be transfer toxic in this election. There's a good few independents too that seem to be anti FF candidates.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

The thing is where will coughlan get her transfers from she needs bod to be eliminated early enough to get her over the line if bod performs as well or nearly as well as her FF will be in big trouble because they are transfer toxic and now everyone knows pringles the man to keep her out so he will be getting transfers left right and centre! It will be interesting to see if sinn fein form some sort of vote management to get pringle in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Has anyone else living in the Letterkenny area had nobody call to their house canvassing? Its not even that I may have missed them during the day as I've not even had any leaflet drops apart from the ones delivered by An Post. Only Jimmy Harte called to my house and that was the weekend before the election was actually called.

I'm a genuine undecided voter and while I realise that I will only be given the soundbites they think I want to hear, I'd still like to be able to have a chat with a few different candidates. I've been looking forward to them calling around (I'm a sad individual, I know:() and tbh its annoying me that they couldnt be bothered to call.
    FWIW, I live in a reasonably central estate in the town and not up the top of some remote mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Has anyone else living in the Letterkenny area had nobody call to their house canvassing? Its not even that I may have missed them during the day as I've not even had any leaflet drops apart from the ones delivered by An Post. Only Jimmy Harte called to my house and that was the weekend before the election was actually called.

I'm a genuine undecided voter and while I realise that I will only be given the soundbites they think I want to hear, I'd still like to be able to have a chat with a few different candidates. I've been looking forward to them calling around (I'm a sad individual, I know:() and tbh its annoying me that they couldnt be bothered to call.
    FWIW, I live in a reasonably central estate in the town and not up the top of some remote mountain.
    Do you have a dog at the door or out in the garden by any chance? Some of these canvassers aren't very brave :p

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

2 FF canvassers came to my door today, they were very brave.

i have to admire their dedication to what they believe in, there is no way i could do it.

i am assuming they are party volunteers

Pringle just tipped as independent to watch on 'The week in politics'... that's the end of his chances then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

last thursdays donegal democrat

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/tanaiste_in_trouble_1_2430273
    Tanaiste in trouble
    Published on Fri Feb 18 15:03:20 GMT 2011

With just eight days until polling gets under way in the general election, Fianna Fail is fighting to retain a seat in each of the Donegal constituencies with speculation now gaining momentum that Tanaiste Mary Coughlan’s seat may be in jeopardy.

An internal poll by Fianna Fáil in Donegal South West which has been seen by this newspaper shows the two-candidate strategy in the constituency could cost it Ms. Coughlan’s seat. Meanwhile the Democrat understands that fine Gael has also conducted a poll and this also suggests - more strongly - that Ms. Coughlan may lose her seat. However, the Democrat has not seen this poll, the information from it was passed on verbally from a reliable Fine Gael party source.

Just to let people know that there's a program on Radio 1 (RTE) tonight with some of the candidates from DL southwest speaking @ 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Do you have a dog at the door or out in the garden by any chance? Some of these canvassers aren't very brave :p
    No dogs at they tend to hate me more than I hate them.

Maybe this notice on my front door doesnt help:confused:

84181815.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement

Just had 2 FF'ers at the door. When they realized I wasn't the previous occupant they retreated before I could get started ! Lol they apologized for getting 'wrong' house !! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Like him or loath him.....he talks sense. Also some points that are connected to Donegal so it is sort of relavent!

EDIT: Thanks Homer :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDPhRaZNgSU YOUTUBE] Like him or loath him.....he talks sense. Also some points that are connected to Donegal so it is sort of relavent!" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

this the one you wanted? you just need to copy the video code, as in "iDPhRaZNgSU" and not the whole link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

best reply ever for the likes of ff and the foul mouthed and useless mary knocking on your door

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70617063&postcount=181
    proon4 wrote: »
    I had a visit at my door 2 days ago by a FF election candidate. I couldnt believe his arrogance , and his denial that his party done any wrong while they were in government for the last 15 years or so... I told him to go away from my door ,and not only to go away, but to reflect on what he was saying to me..

The next evening his father, an ex minister and a "doyen" of the FF party arrived around our street again . He called at my door, smiling in a nice crombie and shining shoes. He proceeded to tell me why his son would be a great asset to his party and also to the people of this area.. I couldnt believe it. What are these guys on. If they could bottle it they could sell it and probably would get us out of the dire financial state this country is in. I was about to lose it, but I held back and I asked him would he listen to me for 2 or 3 minutes. I gave him this anology.

"Imagine" I said "that you employed me to take care of your house, your finances, and the well been of your life and your familys life.

For some years I seemed to be doing ok. But it was all a cloak. In reality" I said " i was lying to you, I was squandering your money, I was destroying you, and your familys future.

I was looking after myself big time and was in fact using your money to set myself up financially for life.

After a few years the truth came out and you found out what really was going on. You were destroyed, completly broke. Your house and assets were now owned by a German gambler. You were up to your eyes in debt, and not only you but your children and in the future their children. After all this has sunk in, your devestated.

But now I show what a brass neck I really have, I come back to you and say, look have you anything left.if so give me the job again and this time I will really look after you. Ill have you up and running in no time Youll be back where you were 5 years ago. trust me.

Would I lie to you ?

Oh and by the way, I want the same salary and expenses as I was getting.."

This I said to the FF ex minister is what your party is saying to us, this is what they want us to believe again. now I said get away from this door ,and if you had any decency you and your son would be asking the people for forgivness and not trying the same old bluffs and lies again... He left. ...quietly I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jackireland

Had Dessie Shiels round canvessing in letterkenny today,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Had Dessie Shiels round canvessing in letterkenny today,

What do you think of Mr. Shiels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

got canvassed twice on facebook by John Duffy in Donegal SW, not a single knock on the door. Anybody else getting online canvassers. Ill give him my vote if nobody else has the decency to call.

redfox79 wrote: »
    got canvassed twice on facebook by John Duffy in Donegal SW, not a single knock on the door. Anybody else getting online canvassers. Ill give him my vote if nobody else has the decency to call.

Well I suppose that's one way of getting the best representation possible into the dail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

Am I detecting a note of sarcasm here??? John answered all my questions online, I was happy with his replies. Its as good a method as deciding as any. My main concern anyway is that FF DONT get in, more than worrying about who actually does!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I like the sound of BOD of FF but cannot bring myself to vote FF ever again

Bod might sound good coming up to an election but we need to look at his track record what has he done in the past about these issues he can go on and on about ideas he has but not once has he raised any of them when he had the chance as senator unlike pearse doherty who was on the exact same boat and used every opportunity to speak up for what he believes in! During the by election campaign Bod was asked why should people vote for you and his answer was because i'l add strength to the government and get the budget passed and over my dead body would the imf be coming in!

I agree the green party are coming across as very honest and humble but i don't know an awful lot about john duffy!

I think dinny mcginley has had his chance i think hes too cosy with the system to make change and i don't see much difference in fine gael and fianna fail they are both owned by property developers and banks so their party lines will protect them before the people

I don't think Fmb would make a good TD but i still have respect for him i think he works hard for the people but might be a bit localized in the finn valley area and i don't think he would handle being under a party whip he really an independent Councillor nothing more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement