Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Donegal news & views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I like the sound of BOD of FF but cannot bring myself to vote FF ever again.

What BOD are you listening to? Brian O Driscoll?
    BOD is all that is wrong with FF(cronyism, arrogance, ignorance, knife his granny in the back to get ahead, etc) in a younger body. Having got his booklet thing through the post before the weekend, it beggars belief the nonsense he's spouting; Some of it straight up lies about his role in funding for public projects.
    I know the Greens were also in Government at this time but I still consider the Green Party to be ethically honest and a Principle motivated party.

I too, hold the same view. Pity he's not got a chance in DSW
    Perhaps FG will get my number 2 and Id like to vote Lab number 3 but is FMB TD material???

I heard that while out canvassing in the pettigoe area he was getting strange looks from the people on the street. Turns out he was in Kesh in Fermanagh.

cosanostra wrote: »
    Bod might sound good coming up to an election but we need to look at his track record what has he done in the past about these issues he can go on and on about ideas he has but not once has he raised any of them when he had the chance as senator unlike pearse doherty who was on the exact same boat and used every opportunity to speak up for what he believes in! During the by election campaign Bod was asked why should people vote for you and his answer was because i'l add strength to the government and get the budget passed and over my dead body would the imf be coming in!

Another reason not to touch him with a 10ft pole.

MODS: Snip if necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

On RTE Liveline now

McLoughlin said he'll give his No.2 to Blaney from the new Vision Party.

I am appalled. I will now not be voting for Sinn Féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lahm wrote: »

You do know that he cant do this unless you vote MacLochlainn and Blaney 1 and 2 in that order?

He said he will give himself No.1 and Blaney No.2

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement

He said he will give himself No.1 and Blaney No.2

What are you talking about?
    Ah right, I see what you're saying now :)

Still it's a poor enough way to make a decision on who you would vote for. There are much more important issues to consider than who MacLochlainn is going to give his 2nd preference vote to.

I don't like them Blaneys.

Especially when he blows in from Dublin. I can also see him getting a load of votes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

New Vision are running with just 4 basic policies, one of which is default on the IMF/EU deal. That could be one of the reasons. From what I have heard of the grouping they aren't FF, I'd say more the old style PD's.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I agree the green party are coming across as very honest and humble but i don't know an awful lot about john duffy!

Very honest & Humble? Where have yiz been this last few years? Have you never seen John Gormley (the guy who went back to bed the night the Bank Guarrentee was being agreed...) or Eamonn Ryan being interviewed?
    Remember the greens had their own little scheme to let everyone get a chance at getting their snout in the trough, as their ministers were supposed to step down after 2 years to let other TD's get a wee pension.. but Ryan an Gormley - those honest men - reneged on the deal...
    They voted for the Bailout - if law was passed to close mink farms - only thing you can trust the greens to do is protect animals ahead of humans...

Now you may like Duffy's replies to your questions, and that's as good a reason to vote for him as any, but don't do it because you think his party has some principles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

redfox79 wrote: »
    Am I detecting a note of sarcasm here??? John answered all my questions online, I was happy with his replies. Its as good a method as deciding as any. My main concern anyway is that FF DONT get in, more than worrying about who actually does!!!

Aye.. a bit alright, thought you were gonna vote for him for just asking to be your friend on FB or something equally rediculous :o Glad to hear ye asked a few questions....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Firblog wrote: »
    Very honest & Humble? Where have yiz been this last few years? Have you never seen John Gormley (the guy who went back to bed the night the Bank Guarrentee was being agreed...) or Eamonn Ryan being interviewed?
    Remember the greens had their own little scheme to let everyone get a chance at getting their snout in the trough, as their ministers were supposed to step down after 2 years to let other TD's get a wee pension.. but Ryan an Gormley - those honest men - reneged on the deal...
    They voted for the Bailout - if law was passed to close mink farms - only thing you can trust the greens to do is protect animals ahead of humans...

Now you may like Duffy's replies to your questions, and that's as good a reason to vote for him as any, but don't do it because you think his party has some principles...

I completely agree with you and there is a big difference between coming across honest and humble and being it i made the same point about BOD in a previous post judge people on their track record not what they promise leading to an election!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cranfordmike

What do you think of Mr. Shiels?
    Had Dessie Shiels round canvessing in letterkenny today,

I'm not from LK but I was there today and bumped into Dessie Shiels while he was doing the rounds. Have to say I was fairly impressed with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Especially when he blows in from Dublin. I can also see him getting a load of votes too.

I hate the contempt they've shown for the voters. No first name on the posters as if the word "Blaney" will do the job alone.

Blaney is a sod, a sod for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jackireland

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lahm
    What do you think of Mr. Shiels?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackireland
    Had Dessie Shiels round canvessing in letterkenny today,

Dessie Shiels is one of the best candidates running in DNE, problem is that he is not well known.

He impressed a lot of people in the debates, talks sense unlike the party waffle the others talk..

Had to laugh when Padraig Mcloughlin attacked him on highland for calling for a referendum on the IMF bailout saying he was talking nonense, then Gerry Adams came out on sunday, calling for the same referendum !!

So mary caughlans banned the media from her campaign, says it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So mary caughlans banned the media from her campaign, says it all really!

this made me laugh
    A number of national newspapers have been refused access to her campaign, with Ms Coughlan privately citing the ‘horrid’ coverage she received in her time as Tanaiste.

A close friend told us: “Mary has been picked on because she’s a woman and because she’s from Donegal. Why should she offer interviews now to a hostile press which has been nothing short of horrid?”

no its cos she's incompetent !

(mod hat on) No problem with that post as you are more than entitled to state if you like the guy or not and also comment on whether he will get many votes.

Blaney is a sod, a sod for all to see.
    (mod hat on) I have a problem with this. I am not going to allow people to post up derogatory comments on candidates.

Warning given.

I might be missing something but can someone explain how mary caughlan could possibly get elected like where will she get transfers from she said on the highland debate her and BOD had shared the constituency brian taking the glenties area and them sharing finn valley but i think brian would be stronger here! Say FF doubled there vote on the by election(unlikely) and then that vote was split between the 2 thats around the 8k mark where will either of them get the transfers to reach the quota of around 12k then on the other side i reckon pringle will easily double his vote from 2002 election giving him in around 6k mark he will easily pick up 2k of transfers from pearse to put him level with the 2 FF then he will gain more of the transfers from the remaining

I might be missing something but can someone explain how mary caughlan could possibly get elected like where will she get transfers from

The usual FF trick of sending cars to old peoples homes, nursing homes and the likes and coercing(? i'm not sure what word best fits) people to the ballot box to 'give us your vote, like your parents/brothers/sisters/friends/family always have, and w'll look after you'
    i remember 2007 a minibus at the polling station and inside a crowd of people who were practically led behind the curtain to vote....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

retalivity wrote: »
    The usual FF trick of sending cars to old peoples homes, nursing homes and the likes and coercing(? i'm not sure what word best fits) people to the ballot box to 'give us your vote, like your parents/brothers/sisters/friends/family always have, and w'll look after you'
    i remember 2007 a minibus at the polling station and inside a crowd of people who were practically led behind the curtain to vote....

Agreed totally....this is what is wrong - hope these people see through the false promises this time!

donegal times thinks coughlan will be third and pringle fifth

i seriously hope not (that would imply FF pulling 25% of the vote)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

donegal times thinks coughlan will be third and pringle fifth

i seriously hope not (that would imply FF pulling 25% of the vote)

Ooooooh no, but it wouldn't surprise me - there are so many out there who will not say what way they are going to vote and just go in quietly and vote for HER.....how sad is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Irregardless of you you support or who you want to see get elected, I would encourage everyone to go out and vote on Friday.

If you do not vote then you have no right to complain IMO. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Interesting times ahead for the weekend, methinks!:D

Anyone else in Donegal Southwest not seen any canvassers?
    I know Pearce Doherty canvassed my area, I wasn't in at the time, though!
    I haven't seen hide nor hair of any other canvassers, never mind the would-be Politicians.:confused:

Noreen1 wrote: »

I haven't seen hide nor hair of any other canvassers, never mind the would-be Politicians.:confused:

saw some doherty people on the road, nobody to the door though

Noreen1 wrote: »

not seen any this tim but in 14 years (several spent working from home) ihave only been canvassed by FF - once, SF- once and tom conoghan actually at my door during the locals

never any candidates so bit worthless talking to the party hacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

On facebook last night John Duffy was saying how disillusioned he was with the whole system. He was saying his name was not mentioned once in the last 3 issues of the Donegal Democrat or in most of the local papers. How do people feel about different aspects of the media alligning themselves with different political parties. It makes me SICK. Somebody mentions they have never heard of John, thats because he is not wasting the taxpayers money by putting up posters, and the media wont give him fair representation. It should be a level playing field for all, people should not be voting on "advertising". I am more and more for the greens the more I am made aware of our corrupt political system.....

Who's JD?

Is he South West?

Papers mostly deal with the North East with Lettereknny being there and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

its John Duffy, look him up on facebook John Duffy donegal sw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement