Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Donegal news & views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

redfox79 wrote: »
    its John Duffy, look him up on facebook John Duffy donegal sw

He looks like a decent chap. But it's what's in his head that's the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

Well, he has me converted for one. Go on his facebook page and look at his posts and notes, he speaks common sense, he speaks in everyday language and he seems to be running for the right reasons. He is also a new face and thats what I think Donegal SW needs , the last shower have shown us what they cant do so why anybody would vote the same faces in again is beyond me......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

He's green party. People don't like Greens or FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

He doesn't seems to have a lot of confidence in himself he says on his fb page if you vote for me when i'm eliminated your vote wont be lost because your 2nd preference will then be counted and reading his notes he makes points about political reform and he also says "The politicians, bankers and their cronies who are greedy and lack in moral fibre, have left the ordinary man, woman and child practically destitute" yet he represents the green party who are complicit in this they supported the finance bill and budget that has left this country destitute so the main reason for not voting jd is because he is just talking the talk but knows the party he stands for had the chance to do all he says but didn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

redfox79 wrote: »
    I am more and more for the greens the more I am made aware of our corrupt political system.....
    And these are the same greens who shared the same bed with FF.

You know the old saying........if you sleep with dogs you get fleas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 libsduf

<SNIP>

Mod edit:Stick to Donegal issues only.

The politics forum is that way

>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redfox79

cosanostra wrote: »
    He doesn't seems to have a lot of confidence in himself he says on his fb page if you vote for me when i'm eliminated your vote wont be lost because your 2nd preference will then be counted

I think he is trying to make people understand the voting system. Some people are afraid to vote for independents and greens because they think their vote will be lost. He is reassuring people that their vote will transfer. What about his points about bringing jobs to Donegal in renewables. If done properly it would bring jobs in their thousands. I for one would love to see that happening in Donegal. We could have our own Las Vegas, in the hills of Donegal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gullmacm

Its great to see a new person putting their hat into the ring. People are always complaining that they're tired of the same old faces offering the same old tweedledum/tweedledee options and then complaining that these people are always getting elected. Well now is a chance for the people of DSW to put up or shut up and give the new candidates a chance. Fair play to John Duffy for putting himself forward. At least he has the courage of his convictions and is prepared to put himself forward as an alternative option, not like all the whiners sniping from the wings trying to put a new face down.

Amazing how many John Duffy supporters have joined Boards.ie in the last few days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Cannot really take the Greens seriously I'm afraid, they entered the coalition with FF with their little halo's gleaming, they were the one's to keep them on the straight an narrow etc, All they seemed to be interested in were Green issues.. FF threw them a few bones i.e. Gormley as Minister for the environment from where he could block the building of the incinerator in his own back yard, and try to stop people using Vans they have for business using them the odd time for personal use... This is what John Duffy must support if he's a good green....

Perhaps I'm being hard on them... can anyone remind me of anything good the greens have done in their time in government?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tirconaillabu

The mess by Fianna Fail was partly caused because they were allowed to appoint who they wanted, when they wanted. The greens instigated the appointment of neutral figures in the form of Matthew Elderfield as financial regulator, and Patrick Conohan as central bank govenor. Didnt they do something for gay marraiges as well??

The mess by Fianna Fail was partly caused because they were allowed to appoint who they wanted, when they wanted. The greens instigated the appointment of neutral figures in the form of Matthew Elderfield as financial regulator, and Patrick Conohan as central bank govenor. Didnt they do something for gay marraiges as well??
    Banned till after the election.

muffler wrote: »
    Amazing how many John Duffy supporters have joined Boards.ie in the last few days :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that somebody who is new to the forum has less of a right to speak their mind than those who have been there longer.

Would you not welcome all the new comment?

gullmacm wrote: »
    Would you not welcome all the new comment?
    No, not when its biased towards the same candidate and the points being expressed here are all being done so by noobs.

Can I ask you publicly - how many accounts do you have on Boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well the Greens are going to get it from many, dangers of going into Government and ten fold for the last one.

The Green policies should be good for Donegal. Problem is planning laws and how long it takes to get things up and running compared to world leading countries from Europe.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

muffler wrote: »
    No, not when its biased towards the same candidate and the points being expressed here are all being done so by noobs.

Can I ask you publicly - how many accounts do you have on Boards.ie?

Muffler: a well chosen psuedonym for somebody trying to styfle open comment and debate.

What is a noob? A spelling mistake or an attempt to denigrate?

One account only.

noob = new member.

Now that we have that all sorted can we get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

**Serious question**

If there are any Mary Coughlan supporters on here can you please tell me how she has helped her native county during her time in office. I'm not being funny, id seriously like to know how we have benefited from her time in power, because i cant really think of many, if any.

Maybe she has done her best. If so, can someone do me up a short list of her achievements and maybe explain why she should get re-elected.

irlpic wrote: »
    **Serious question**

If there are any Mary Coughlan supporters on here can you please tell me how she has helped her native county during her time in office. I'm not being funny, id seriously like to know how we have benefited from her time in power, because i cant really think of many, if any.

Maybe she has done her best. If so, can someone do me up a short list of her achievements and maybe explain why she should get re-elected.
    Probably be an easier question if you asked for the winning numbers in next Saturday's Lotto draw :D

I think its great to see several new candidates put themselves forward in this election. Whether these candidates have a genuine chance of getting elected or not, you have to admire each one for their courage in putting themselves before an often hostile electorate.
    While no candidate will espouse policies that will meet with the sympathies of every single one of the electorate, they do offer the electorate some new alterantives and so should be congratulated for so doing.

While I myself don't neccessarily agree with all the policies of Sinn Fein, or Labour, or Fianna Fail for that matter, there are some areas where they have admirable ideas. This is also true of the Green Party. If we lived in a society where a single party had a monopoly on "correct" ideas, we would be living in somewhere like China or Libya.

Hurrah for diversity and alternative choices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adriandonegal

cosanostra wrote: »
    Brian o Domhnaills girlfriend is a manager in highland might have something to do with it also he is a friend of shaun doherty and trained with him for marathon! But Highland nailed their FF colours to the mast a long time ago!

you such, what her name??/

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Mary something or other think it might be duffy not sure but they were being interviewed at the time of the vocanic ash cloud when they were stuck on holiday in tenerif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Mod note: Ah now we don't want to be ruining a decent thread now with off topicness, please no more off topic chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

RE: Duffy

I have been canvassed online by him, through facebook, and its quite interesting what he has to say. It's strange...first time ive been targeted through facebook or any such site, but he sent me a message and we ended up having a discussion about what he'd like to do and answered any questions ive had frankly and honestly. I was impressed, not just by the responses, but also how he's tapping into other ways to reach people.
    definitely moved a bit higher up my preferences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Was any of the party leaders in donegal during this campaign?

Adams, Kenny, Gormley, Martin or Gilmore? I haven't heard any of them being up here??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sollar wrote: »
    Was any of the party leaders in donegal during this campaign?

Adams, Kenny, Gormley, Martin or Gilmore? I haven't heard any of them being up here??

enda is in donegal today (think he's in donegal town this lunchtime )

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

The thing I find strange about this election is the so called Blaney camp.

I have heard that a lot of the traditional Blaney people are campaigning for Dara Blaney.
    Does this mean that they intend leaving FF . I dont see how you can preach the FF gospel and then just because your man doesn't get a nomination turn around and support someone who is very critical of FF.
    It will be interesting to see where the so called Blaney vote goes.

I intend to vote for Padraig macLochlainn and I see him McHugh and Harte winning seats. The suprise could be how well Dara Blaney polls though not enough to be in contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

The thing I find strange about this election is the so called Blaney camp.

I have heard that a lot of the traditional Blaney people are campaigning for Dara Blaney.
    Does this mean that they intend leaving FF . I dont see how you can preach the FF gospel and then just because your man doesn't get a nomination turn around and support someone who is very critical of FF.
    It will be interesting to see where the so called Blaney vote goes.

I intend to vote for Padraig macLochlainn and I see him McHugh and Harte winning seats. The suprise could be how well Dara Blaney polls though not enough to be in contention.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a split in the Blaney camp, re: joining FF?
    I seem to remember hearing rumours that Neil Ts family were less than happy about it.
    If Dara Blaney is anything like his father, don't underestimate his ability to pull in the party faithful who remained loyal to Neil T Blaney, and were appalled when Ind. FF rejoined the FF party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

enda on his soapbox in donegal town at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement