Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Donegal news & views

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

If Paddy Harte wins a seat I will eat my hat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think Anne Sweeney will get more votes than Paddy Harte ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 libsduf

I will only be voting for people who do not have election posters, I am sick at the sight of them and I shudder to think of the cost to the taxpayer. Surely it would be money better invested in our hospitals???? In SW Donegal I have not seen posters for Anne Sweeney. I have seen a handful of handpainted signs for john Duffy which probably falls in well with the Green ethos. They will get my 1 and 2, not sure of the order yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

libsduf wrote: »
    I will only be voting for people who do not have election posters
    Hadn't thought about that. Its a fantastic reason to vote for someone :rolleyes:

and I shudder to think of the cost to the taxpayer. Surely it would be money better invested in our hospitals???
    Thats a new one for me. Never knew that the taxpayers funded the candidates election posters.

How would you equate the cost of election posters to the cost of running a single bed in a hospital ward?

In SW Donegal I have not seen posters for Anne Sweeney. I have seen a handful of handpainted signs for john Duffy which probably falls in well with the Green ethos.
    So Anne Sweeney does not wish to put herself about so to speak and John Duffy is taking the "green route" by hand painting the posters. Can you tell us what type of materials are used for these hand painted posters?

They will get my 1 and 2, not sure of the order yet.
    Ah go on. Tell us who you are giving your number 1 to.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    The eagle eyed users here dont miss much you know ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

irish1967 wrote: »

Heard once of a ballot paper being found with a No. 1 beside each candidates name i.e.

Docherty 1
    Pringle 1
    Coughlan 1
    Mc Ginley 1 etc

An at the bottom of the ballot paper was written

" As promised " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I will only be voting for people who do not have election posters, I am sick at the sight of them and I shudder to think of the cost to the taxpayer. Surely it would be money better invested in our hospitals???? In SW Donegal I have not seen posters for Anne Sweeney. I have seen a handful of handpainted signs for john Duffy which probably falls in well with the Green ethos. They will get my 1 and 2, not sure of the order yet.

All candidates are entitled to reclaim expenses up to 8700 once they exceed quarter of the vote but some parties get donations from property developers to allow them more money when you look at this locally the small parties like the greens and independants like ann sweeney cant risk the outlay on big campaigns its a bit of a catch 22 for them its makes it very hard for them to compete on the same platform i'm not saying all the big parties rely on property developers pearse doherty for example is running charity nights to raise funds he also invests a portion of his wages into party funds frankmcb used alot of his own money in his by election campaign and the labour party is funded by some union donations also note that a lot of the posters are recycled from several elections especially thomas pringle so i definatly wouldnt go making my mind up on who to vote for by the fact they have no posters up look at the issues they stand for and how they would best represent your needs and the needs of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I see Mary had a sticker over BOS's face on posters in the area with "Vote Mary Coughlin No 1" she must be panicking when she has to stoop to this sort of thing looks very childish and desperate TBH!

hi muffler, enlighten us all to your method of candidate selection.

Everybody is entitled to vote for whatever reason they like and I am making my mini stand by voting for those who dont feel the need to plaster their face everywhere. Surely recycling old posters is "green" , im sure you are familiar with "reduce, re-use, recycle"
    Where does the money for the posters come from, big developers?? donations?? or the taxpayer, I dont like any of those options. I would prefer if posters were banned and there was a level playing field for all.
    John Duffy will be getting my number 1 and anne my number 2, muffler why dont u share how your ballot card will look since u so quick to criticise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

.... I would prefer if posters were banned ......

that can be arranged :pac:

One thing i would say is how annoying are these "canvasing" cars vans running around! One in particular has drove me nuts all week, Dessie Sheild's, they have a van going about with a 10 second announcement going out on repeat through a rather load, and crackly, loudspeaker atop of the van saying vote Dessie sheild's No.1..... i've had to listen to that 6 times a day every day this week!

Its going to annoy people not make them / encourage them to vote for you! :mad:

hi muffler, enlighten us all to your method of candidate selection.

Everybody is entitled to vote for whatever reason they like and I am making my mini stand by voting for those who dont feel the need to plaster their face everywhere. Surely recycling old posters is "green" , im sure you are familiar with "reduce, re-use, recycle"
    Where does the money for the posters come from, big developers?? donations?? or the taxpayer, I dont like any of those options. I would prefer if posters were banned and there was a level playing field for all.
    John Duffy will be getting my number 1 and anne my number 2, muffler why dont u share how your ballot card will look since u so quick to criticise.

I agree with you on one point that there should be a more even playing field but you need to ask yourself if john duffy or ann sweeney get in would they ban posters? it seems to be a big issue for you! i'm more worried about the lack of jobs, our health service and education system in our county and there is plenty other more important things than posters that will be down in a week or 2 it really isn't an election issue that you should use to decide your vote!

Dont think he was critising think he was just rather surprised at your unique approach.

John Duffy will be getting my number 1
    Surprise, surprise.

muffler why dont u share how your ballot card will look since u so quick to criticise.
    have you seen me pimping any particular candidate in any of my posts in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Decision is made. At least in the vote on here.

Unless someone catches me on the way out the door tomorrow promising me the sun, moon and stars, my minds not for changing.

A very disappointing campaign imo. Not one candidate got grilled at my front door. I have so much anger built up that the gym wont know whats hitting it tomorrow evening.:D

muffler wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise.

have you seen me pimping any particular candidate in any of my posts in this thread?

Hi Muffler, where else have i abeen apimping! And why so secretive about your vote, come on if I can share so can you. we are all friends here

Job done !! Oooooh the Bosco Center is just so luxurious !

47261edf.jpg

Im voting as follows:-

No1 Pearse Doherty.
    No2 Thomas Pringle.
    No3 Ann Sweeney.

I was just going to vote PD no1 but i decided to fill the 3 seats and having heard pringles views better this time round than the by election i decided on giving him second preference and i gave A.S the 3 because i couldn't think of a strong reason not to vote for her where there was with other candidates but i wouldn't be too fussed if she got in or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

voted.
    1 Duffy
    2 Pringle

Then went a bit crazy and gave everyone else except FFAIL and McCahill a preference below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Any word on the turnout yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Pearse 1
    Pringle 2
    All the other independents got a number then, nothing for the other parties

Pierce 1
    McCahill 2
    Pringle 3
    Duffy 4

About 15% in Donegal Town by 1pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Supposed to be shíte in the north-east.

By the look of the crowds. If you had your beer before the election you may have found Jimmy Harte snuggling up beside you for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

1. Pringle
    2. Mc Cahill
    3. Coughlan

The three this side of the gweebarra being the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Did mary give you a satisfactory reason for the Anglo bail out to get your vote?

Rush obviously voted geographically like many do. Fair enough I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Worked throughout history I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement