Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get a mortage or build from cash..

Options
  • 04-02-2011 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,looking for some advice here.I am currently working on the mines in Australia,making good money.

I have a year and a half left on my visa here.I want to go home after that and build my own house.

I have 10,000 saved and im currently sending 6000 a month home,which i will continue to do for the remainder of my visa.Couple of questions.

1) After I buy the site,should I try and build the house out of my savings and get a mortage if I run out?

2) Should I get a mortage and keep my savings intact,remember I may have no income when im back in Ireland as I might not get a job immediately?

3) Are they still granting planning permisson in country areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Hey guys,looking for some advice here.I am currently working on the mines in Australia,making good money.

I have a year and a half left on my visa here.I want to go home after that and build my own house.

I have 10,000 saved and im currently sending 6000 a month home,which i will continue to do for the remainder of my visa.Couple of questions.

1) After I buy the site,should I try and build the house out of my savings and get a mortage if I run out?

2) Should I get a mortage and keep my savings intact,remember I may have no income when im back in Ireland as I might not get a job immediately?

Stick where you are, get permanent residence over there. You'd have to survive on your monthly save over here

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Stick where you are, get permanent residence over there. You'd have to survive on your monthly save over here
    Unfortunately,I may not be able to stay here.I have no Fas trade,so I cant get a skilled migration visa and Im working as a labourer,so I cant get sponsored as a labourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

EDITED. ready you had 6 months left not a year and 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Dazzler88 wrote: »

1/ why do yo want to build , dont know where you are but in my area i can buy houses for 50% of what it would cost to build them in 2011

2/ you cant eat a house , even you have your house built and paid for their are no jobs in ireland and very unlikely that it will be any different in 2-5-10 years especially if your work is construction related

3, planning is much more difficult than b4 , depends

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

Save your money as you are doing, but when you get back to Ireland there is no point even thinking about building a house until you have a job, and a semi-secure job that you are happy with. Once your probation time is finished in the new job, then maybe start looking at options, but before that I don't see any point in even thinking about a house. A half finished house with no income is of no use to you. Buying or building a house is just putting a ball and chain around your ankle and will severely limit potential job opportunities to a small area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

danbohan wrote: »
    1/ why do yo want to build , dont know where you are but in my area i can buy houses for 50% of what it would cost to build them in 2011
    im from the north west,mosy houses in the country areas are still for sale at ridiclous prices,I also like the idea of designing my own house,to my own spec.Thanks for your advice,definetely a few things to consider there.

Advertisement