Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roach/speedling all-in... (ZvP)

• 04-02-2011 3:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Came across this on my travels, looks very powerful - essentially its a ZvP build in which Zerg cuts drones/doesn't expand and does a timing attack at the five minute mark with three roaches and a dozen speedlings...

http://www.mediafire.com/?nw2hgf4zjwwjcjh

Link is legit, posted by LiquidTravis who is the protoss in question. Don't really know much about toss but with an army like at the bottom of your ramp at five minutes and only one ff seems to equal gg every time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

terrible scout by liquidtravis. he completly missed the spawning pool :/

nasty build tbh. im gonna try it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

That build is a major pain in the ass after I've gotten hit with it, the counter I came up with is basically to do a k3g with 1 sentry to delay until WG comes with your 3 gates (~5:20) upon which you get yet another sentry delay a little bit more since you didn't get the 4th gate you can afford to keep probe production and 2nd gas, 2nd best is still 3 gates on 12/20/21 and 3-4 chronos on WG. You're still cutting some probes to get gates 2+3 up but it's probably worth it, you can then transition into blink. Basically you can't be greedy, dump chrono on WG, it saves lives ;).

The main thing is that people are ****ing stupid about worker production i.e when to make and when to cut, especially protoss.

Basically we're entering the phase of sc2 of thin timings. The larger GSL maps will break this strat.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

I main Z and have been using this a bit in close positions. Nice to be the roflstomper in close for once. :P

That said, really - 1 base zerg = roach play. No other way to do anything with 1 base of larvae. If you throw down a forge you'll still be ahead of a 1-base zerg and you can get plenty of cannons in your main in the meantime.

Also, early stalkers and good micro can take down the roaches, then being very careful with probes and zealots will win the game. It's not quite entirely all in for the zerg but it's pretty friggin close. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I have used this once on delta and it worked perfect for me. He was going stargate though which made it alot easier for me and once the blocking zealots and a couple stalkers were down it was gg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

tbh the 7-8 roach opening is only about 20 seconds slower and more powerful in my eyes. Against toss anyway.

• Advertisement

20 seconds is an eternity for any rush strategy. I butchered a 7rr with the same timing on steppes off a 12 gate once I scouted no expo and roach warren. 3 chronos on WG, cut probes for a forge, slam down another gate + 2 cannons, stay on one gas. He arrives at my ramp at 5:15, you should have 1 sentry at least with 15 energy or so till second FF with a second 3/4 done. WG is done at 5:40 or so, make a choke further in with more buildings so that lings can't run past if roaches snipe the first zealot, this forces roaches to move into cannon range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Obviously if its scouted, no rush will work. Cannons will obviously stop it. But the nice thing about the roach rush is that it doesn't leave you crippled economically. Walk up the ramp, have a look and if it doesn't look on just back off and return to base... you have the bigger army so just power drone and expand.

The power of the 3 roach speedling all in is that even scouted, it can still kill you. A well executed K4G will also kill you even scouted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Tried it a couple of times

Some of the things I have noticed..

-Bring an overlord over, you'll need vision up high
    -Rally your zerglings to your roaches
    -cut drones off gas after roach build
    -Keep the roaches alive and use them solely to get the zerglings through into his base (sometimes you need them as meatshields, other as shooty things, always a lot of micro keep them alive, zerglings will keep coming)
    -If he cannons you have to take out the blocking zealot/'desperation pylon' and get the zerglings into his mineral line and lay waste.. don't panic if the probes go to the cannons just kill his nexus

Go for the stargate first or pylon powering if he is rushing voidray

Its a very strong opening because, its kinda counter intuitive in a way, literally waiting for the minerals for the queen, waiting for the roach warren, and such a slow overlord build.. it seems very bad, but when the roaches come out then you can focus entirely on micro and just keep hitting szzzz and spitting the hatch every once in awhile

I love it too because the Protoss think they are about to get a free overlord.. then blam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

Saw this on TL recently, Travis has now updated it with tips on how to beat it.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=189683

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I used this build earlier with great results.

I'm bronze, it put me against a Gold going standard 4 gate stuff on XelNaga Caverns. Absolutely destroyed him! And to make it sweeter, got promoted to silver :D

Advertisement