Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember Hoffmans

• 04-02-2011 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Craft Beers are sending the big breweries reeling -- now its Waterford Citys Turn --- this beer will be on tap from next month --- and pale ale is golden like a lager with a distinctive taste
    Lets Support our very own Waterofrd Brewery
    Tell your local to watch out for it -- and stock it for you -- make Waterford Proud!

Metalman Brewing Company to Launch First Beer in March 2011
    A new Waterford-based company, Metalman Brewing, is currently setting up a
    microbrewery in Waterford city. Their first beer, Metalman Pale Ale, will be
    available from next Month
    The eponymous Metalman Pale Ale is a golden ale, bursting with citrusy hop
    flavours, fresh-tasting and well-balanced. Coming in at an A.B.V. Of 4.3%, it
    will be a real thirst-quencher.
    Expect to see Metalman Pale Ale available on draft from early March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

What will it cost?

€3-00 a pint, all day, every day?
    3 for €10

:D;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

lovely schtuff, hope it tastes good and they are a success!

I'd gladly pay for some locally brewed stuff than carlsberg, heineken in the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wonder how widely distributed it will be, hope it does well and I'll def give it ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

may keep my eye out for that so.:)

thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

While im all for supporting local business's,but i tasted that Dungarvan brewery beer and stout over Christmas,and it was awful,how anyone drinks it is beyond me.

Is this beer the same?,because i grew up on Hoffmans and it cant be beat :)

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I wonder how widely distributed it will be, hope it does well and I'll def give it ago.

hopefully if people are asking for it around the bars will bring it in, Becks and Staropraman are getting on some counters recently and its not as if they advertise heavily in ireland so hopefully a bit of hearsay and local pride will get this stuff in the pubs

While im all for supporting local business's,but i tasted that Dungarvan brewery beer and stout over Christmas,and it was awful,how anyone drinks it is beyond me.

I'd say this beer is more like the American pale ales, Brooklyn Lager or Sam Adams if you've ever tried, distinctively different to normal lagers we'd be used to.....from what I remember of Hoffmans it was more a contenental receipe, I was gutted when it closed as it was a symbol of the city to me!

I like the Dungarvan stout myself personally, don't like their red ale, but to be honest I don't like any Irish ale, tastes like water after been thrown over red bricks :D

I'd say this beer is more like the American pale ales, Brooklyn Lager or Sam Adams if you've ever tried, distinctively different to normal lagers we'd be used to.....from what I remember of Hoffmans it was more a contenental receipe, I was gutted when it closed as it was a symbol of the city to me!

I like the Dungarvan stout myself personally, don't like their red ale, but to be honest I don't like any Irish ale, tastes like water after been thrown over red bricks :D

I loved Hoffmans,and when i lived in Australia i genuinely missed drinking it,so when i got home one of the first things i done was go to Paddy Browns Off Licence to get 6 cans,and to my disappointment i was told it was finished :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

drank when in college at wrtc, now wit, back in the day, remember it was tasty:cool:, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Hoffmans was grand if you only drank 6 or 7 pints.If you went over the 10 it was looney juice.Many a night I pi**ed in the wardrope after a day long session on hoffmans (the mother used to kill me).I thought it was only me but several friends pi**ed all around the house including the old record players where one lifted the lid and relieved himself.Oh they were the days on the looney soup.:P

• Advertisement

when did they officially stop brewing it, like I remember when i worked in the carryout we where still taking delivery of a couple of cases of it back in 2007..... be nice if the recipe could be bought for instance and some local lads started a Hoffmans microbrewary like the metal man guys have done....

I think that with a couple of prominent local pubs behind such a venture the deise could become a good spot for the artisan beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I don't want no man's pale ale. Metal or not. Ewwww.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Well its all a matter of taste and opinion. Obviously your taste and opinion are incorrect :)

Seriously though, I didn't like the Dungarvan blonde ale, but I did like the dark ale and thought the stout was alright.

What I want is blaa beer. It would be a type of wheat beer, but made with the same wheat as is used for blaas (if blaas are made with wheat of course, I don't know) and each glass would be lightly dusted with blaa dust (AKA flour).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dayshah wrote: »
    Well its all a matter of taste and opinion. Obviously your taste and opinion are incorrect :)

Seriously though, I didn't like the Dungarvan blonde ale, but I did like the dark ale and thought the stout was alright.

What I want is blaa beer. It would be a type of wheat beer, but made with the same wheat as is used for blaas (if blaas are made with wheat of course, I don't know) and each glass would be lightly dusted with blaa dust (AKA flour).
    then kilkenny stout would be poured in the blaa glasses. Cheeky feckers coming over the bridge and taking all our glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hoffmans.....they brew beer and the worst hangover farts ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

a oul Hoffmans the memories...

"We only drink Hoffmans and bottles of Brown!! the Waterford boys are in Town!!! ...lalalalalalalalalalalalalalal....lalalalalalalalalalalalalalal

Waterford United away days... all 10 of us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

when did they officially stop brewing it, like I remember when i worked in the carryout we where still taking delivery of a couple of cases of it back in 2007..... be nice if the recipe could be bought for instance and some local lads started a Hoffmans microbrewary like the metal man guys have done....

As you probably know, Hoffmans was a Guinness group (Diageo from 97) brand, produced by the Strangmans/Cherrys,Diageo brewery, in Mary st. at the end of the quay, but they stopped brewing it in Waterford probably over 10 years ago and production was switched to the Dundalk (Harp) brewery

Cherry's, as we called it, was then tasked with producing Budweiser and some Smithwicks, as Kilkenny (where Budweiser is brewed) could not then meet the demand for Bud.
    Draught Hoffmans was phased out at around the same time with all marketing support stopped, but the can was still marketed and sold in the off trade for years.
    It was felt that as the demand for Hoffmans had become so small, it was not commercially viable to continue with marketing support for a regional brand as at the time Diageo was rationalising their brand portfolio and focusing on market leading brands. blah, blah, blah!!
    Short sighted IMHO, as there has since been a big growth in niche products.

As for "loony juice", as far as I remember it actually had a lower A.B.V. then the big brands. I seem to recall it being produced at around 4%. (as opposed to Bud/Carlsb/Guinness @4.3 and Smithwicks @3.8)
    Now Carlsberg special brew!, that was loony juice, it was nearer 7%A.B.V. and could blow your head clean off! Tasted like glue though, but got the job done:D

Hifive wrote: »
    As you probably know, Hoffmans was a Guinness group (Diageo from 97) brand, produced by the Strangmans/Cherrys,Diageo brewery, in Mary st. at the end of the quay, but they stopped brewing it in Waterford probably over 10 years ago and production was switched to the Dundalk (Harp) brewery

Cherry's, as we called it, was then tasked with producing Budweiser and some Smithwicks, as Kilkenny (where Budweiser is brewed) could not then meet the demand for Bud.
    Draught Hoffmans was phased out at around the same time with all marketing support stopped, but the can was still marketed and sold in the off trade for years.
    It was felt that as the demand for Hoffmans had become so small, it was not commercially viable to continue with marketing support for a regional brand as at the time Diageo was rationalising their brand portfolio and focusing on market leading brands. blah, blah, blah!!
    Short sighted IMHO, as there has since been a big growth in niche products.

As for "loony juice", as far as I remember it actually had a lower A.B.V. then the big brands. I seem to recall it being produced at around 4%. (as opposed to Bud/Carlsb/Guinness @4.3 and Smithwicks @3.8)
    Now Carlsberg special brew!, that was loony juice, it was nearer 7%A.B.V. and could blow your head clean off! Tasted like glue though, but got the job done:D

good man thanks for the info, I agree that Diageo f*cked up shortening their portfolio and concentrating on the bigger boring brands.......if you look at the States or the UK you have a lot of local alternatives to these bigger brands depending per region....promotes local employment and local pride I suppose, thats why I would like to see more of that around here......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

oh I remember Hoffmans, brutal stuff..

They used to sponsor Waterford Utd and when I worked in the bar in the RSC after the matches, there were also a few kegs of it given to the place to give for free.. It was so bad that you couldnt give away.. when everyone left the bar there were pints with one or two mouthfuls drank left everywhere..

Good to hear of some local stuff coming back on the market, will definitely give it a try. Anyone who spots a pub selling it, can they post on here so I can give it a try next time I'm home

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

but i tasted that Dungarvan brewery beer and stout over Christmas,and it was awful,how anyone drinks it is beyond me.

agreed the Dungarvan stuff is muck but so was Hoppmans boy

• Advertisement

UhOh wrote: »
    agreed the Dungarvan stuff is muck but so was Hoppmans boy

Ah now your not from Waterford unless you pissed in a cupboard,full to the gills of Hoffmans :)

Ah now your not from Waterford unless you pissed in a cupboard,full to the gills of Hoffmans :)

I had a Hoffmans gear bag alright :) As a teenager a £3 flagon of Devils Bit represented far better value for money. I think Hoppmans had disappeared by the time I hit my twenties.

How long is Hoffmans gone btw?? Must be 13-14 years by now

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Anyone who spots a pub selling it, can they post on here so I can give it a try next time I'm home

I'm pretty sure Phil Grimes has it in stock...the owner Tom has had many unsuccesful attempts trying to market it to my Dad & his pals in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

dutch gold coming on the scene was the end for hoffmans,never liked it but it used to make a nice snakebite with the linden of old:)

dayshah wrote: »

Found it ;)

beerlabelv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Good man Richie!! I want that as my Avatar :pac:

Anyone know how?

Funfair wrote: »
    Good man Richie!! I want that as my Avatar :pac:

Anyone know how?

You have to subscribe to change your avatar...

Sure you can make another one yourself http://www.beerlabelizer.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

40%, my sort of beer Richie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

UhOh wrote: »
    I had a Hoffmans gear bag alright :) As a teenager a £3 flagon of Devils Bit represented far better value for money. I think Hoppmans had disappeared by the time I hit my twenties.

How long is Hoffmans gone btw?? Must be 13-14 years by now
    The last place to have hoffmans on draught was the granville hotel about 8 years ago.i think it was kept for tourists looking for a local drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

I've enjoyed drinking the Dungarvan beers, The stout is especially nice. & they have won a few awards & constantly increasing their distribution.

good to hear a local success story

www.dungarvanbrewingcompany.com

Advertisement