Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you bath/shower your kids?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

OP here - so I'm not that different after all!!

Can I ask you about the hair-washing, particularly for those of you with older kids than mine.

From day one, he has hated water over his head - so he hates the shower. I've used those visor things (not sure what they're called, but like the peak of a baseball cap) so that the water doesn't get into to eyes. In the bath, I still get him to lie back while I wash his hair so he doesn't have that water going over his face affect. Even now, if he's having a shower, he'll stand with his head as far away from the water as possible, while still trying to wash himself and nine times out of ten, it ends with me taking the shower in my hand and just rinsing out the shampoo...he goes into hysterics sometimes with this sensation of water getting in his eyes and down his fact.. he's almost eight. At what age do they feel ok just standing under a shower and letting the water run over their face???

And yes, I've tried goggles, the cap, a shower cap and many other ideas but none seem to work. thanks.

Does he do swimming lessons? I know that's what changed it for me when I was a child. There's also a special rinsing cup you can get in mothercare with a flexible edge that you can rest against the child's forehead.

By the way OP, if you would like to post here regularly and not have to go through the unregistered post approval process signing up takes only a minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my daughter has a bath every second night or more, she loves them so no problems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

OP here - so I'm not that different after all!!

Can I ask you about the hair-washing, particularly for those of you with older kids than mine.

From day one, he has hated water over his head - so he hates the shower. I've used those visor things (not sure what they're called, but like the peak of a baseball cap) so that the water doesn't get into to eyes. In the bath, I still get him to lie back while I wash his hair so he doesn't have that water going over his face affect. Even now, if he's having a shower, he'll stand with his head as far away from the water as possible, while still trying to wash himself and nine times out of ten, it ends with me taking the shower in my hand and just rinsing out the shampoo...he goes into hysterics sometimes with this sensation of water getting in his eyes and down his fact.. he's almost eight. At what age do they feel ok just standing under a shower and letting the water run over their face???

And yes, I've tried goggles, the cap, a shower cap and many other ideas but none seem to work. thanks.

Have you tried Vaseline on his eyebrows? Like your son I hated water getting near my eyes when I was a child and my mum tried this. It stopped the water running into my eyes but went down the side of my face near my ears instead and it was as good a compromise as could be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

My 3 gets showers twice a week......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

HAHAHA for my nieces and nephews and friends kids.Its when they can get them in a bath or shower lol
    So long as they are loved clean and fresh and fed and taken care you are a great mom op.
    I believe showering everyday and bathing everyday reduces sweat and clogging pour which is bad for skin and health.Also as someone else pointed out we were bathed once a week or when we got mucky and didnt make us less hygienic or unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I bath my 4 yr old and 9 yr old every second night.

When I say bath, I mean they are thrun in, hair washed and let mess about for half an hour while I read the latest Jackie Collins novel.
    When they are sufficiently wrinkled they are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

When mine were that age, I'm pretty sure they had a bath every night.

As they got older and were able to shower themselves, I left them at it, but I think they would have showered at least three times a week or every second day.

Then when the girlfriends/boyfriends come on the scene you can't get them out of it! :)

Advertisement