Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake Pops/Cake Balls/Cupcake Bites

Options
  • 04-02-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I had to introduce you all to these wonderfull things. Ive just stumbled upon them through i think Cake Central which then directed me to the inventor Bakerella's site

http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/

cakepops.jpg
    I cant wait to try out these out, they are especially good because you can use any leftover trimmings from carved cakes :D
    The possibillites are endless!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

have you tried making them yet? i tried once, didn't go so well, turned them into cake balls rather than pops... i'll try again though.

she has a book out, it's in hodges&figgis and urban outfitters, prob other places too! put up results from your cake pop adventures!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

no havent tried them yet but really want to try the Cupcake pops/bites soon though.
    Also have a friends baby shower coming up in a couple of months so i want to try baby head pops :P I will def post my results... would be great to get this going as regular picture thread for cake pops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

tried it last month. tasted lovely but you really have to practice a bit to get them look perfect. my problem is that i cant get lollipop sticks in town. last time i bought some at cake international in november.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Saw them a long while ago but haven't braved them yet but they look so yum esp. the ones on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I've made them, though they looked nothing like the picture you posted. I also couldn't find lollipop sticks so I used a cocktail stick. They do taste fantastic but are very rich. Picture of mine below, I think I started off trying to make Bakerellas version of an xmas tree but it wasn't working for me so just covered it in cut out flowers.

47778_437288582071_172309652071_4919524_415553_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Oh Tootired that looks gorgeous!! I'd say it didn't last long either :D

As for lollipop sticks, i have no idea where you would get them, but i would think that wooden skewers would be ideal.

Thanks S, two bites and it was gone!!

47778_437288587071_172309652071_4919525_4842540_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I saw pop sticks in a place near Stephen's Green -I think its at the end of Clarendon St. The shop is called Stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

yeah, stock sell them, the wilton brand i think but they're not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

You can get lollipop sticks in most art & craft shops / educational book shops

• Advertisement

shinikins wrote: »

As for lollipop sticks, i have no idea where you would get them, but i would think that wooden skewers would be ideal.

I was going to invest in lollipop sticks or sucker sticks i think they're called on line, but i have loads of skewers at home so thats what I was going to use aswell instead,just going to snip of the point 1st tho.. i really want to make some of these soon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This is a bit on the bold side but I have robbed a fistful of those wooden coffee stirrers from coffee shops (mostly McCafe to minimise my guilt at pilfering!) to use as sticks for cake pops. They're a bit long and slim but they've worked for me before :)

MissF that's a great idea, I was in getting some stuff from
    stuff4cakes.com and I asked her could she get lollipop sticks, she said she could and will try to get them soon.

Couldnt wait any longer-had to try these out!! :pac:
    cakepops.jpg

Tried out 2 techniques, the pops were molded in flower ice cube tray & the bites,which i prefer, were molded in mini cupcake liners !

cupcakebites.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Good job showgirlrita!:)

So are ye using cake mix and canned frosting for the recipe, or has anyone made them from scratch? Is premade better for the texture/firmness?

Eviledna wrote: »

So are ye using cake mix and canned frosting for the recipe, or has anyone made them from scratch? Is premade better for the texture/firmness?

Thanks edna, well because i have no patience & wanted to test the construction of these out asap i cheated....a lot!
    I bought madeira buns & used Cadburys Choc Spread that i had in the press, blitzed the buns in a food processor which turned them in to very fine crumbs. I thought then they would fall to bits but they actually stayed together. Although they were REALLY luscious they were yummy.

I think with these its trial and error and whatever suits you!

Mmm, cheating can taste good!:D

Excited about the flavour possibilities here...lemon curd and madiera with white choc, carrot cake and cream cheese frosting, melted mars bar and chocolate....mmmm.

Must get lollipop sticks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

They look great!

Ideal party food :D

I always have buttercream and cake cut offs lying around, it's a great way to use up small amounts of left overs. They really do taste yummy:) they're a bit more work than I thought the'd be but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They look so cute and yum great job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've made them from scratch, they worked out just fine. You just need to make sure the frosting is moist enough to keep the cake together. I used some leftover almond cupcakes that had been frosted with caramel buttercream and threw in a bit of extra caramel to stick them together, then dipped them in chocolate ganache after. They didn't set as well as they would have if I'd used just chocolate, but they tasted amazing.

Made some tasty cake pops for the OH from scratch for valentines.
    My oh my do they take some time when making from scratch!

Made hearts and bears, with choc cake mixed with melted snickers and covered in milk/white choc with peanuts sprinkled. Used peanuts for the bears ears, nose/arms/legs.
    Worked out very cute, but alot of hard work.

Resulted in a happy valentine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Made some tasty cake pops for the OH from scratch for valentines.
    My oh my do they take some time when making from scratch!

Made hearts and bears, with choc cake mixed with melted snickers and covered in milk/white choc with peanuts sprinkled. Used peanuts for the bears ears, nose/arms/legs.
    Worked out very cute, but alot of hard work.

Resulted in a happy valentine :D

Post recipe?
    :D

Well, that kind of is the recipe!

Ok, first make this delicious cake:
    This is the definitive microwave chocolate cake recipe:

Microwave Chocolate Cake Recipe

Ingredients: Makes one 18 cm / 7 in cake
    225 g/8 oz butter or margarine, softened
    175 g/6 oz caster (superfine) sugar
    150 g/5 oz self-raising (self-rising) flour
    50 g/2 oz cocoa (unsweetened chocolate) powder
    5 ml/1 tsp baking powder
    3 eggs, beaten
    45 ml/3 tbsp milk

Method:
    Mix together all the ingredients and spoon into a greased and lined 18 cm/7 in microwave dish. Microwave on High for 9 minutes until just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the dish for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Ok so crumble this into the food processor when cool and make cake-crumbs out of it.

Meanwhile melt 6 snickers (or lidl choco-peanut bars;)) in a double boiler with a knob of butter. This must be done very slowly or they will burn.

When melted mix the aforementioned cake crumbs with the snickersy goo in the processor. Form the soft warm chocolatey goodness into balls. Into the freezer for ten mins.

Get melting your chocolate for coating. Dip the pop sticks in the chocolate and then into the hardened cake balls. Freeze again for 10 mins. Then coat with rest of melted choc and sprinkle with nuts. Freeze again to harden if you are in a rush.
    Hey presto, tasty snickersy chocolatey cake balls.

I formed mine into hearts and bears as on bakerella.com. It was alot of work, "balls to that" next time lol.:)

Mmm Cake pops. Portable deliciousness.

I'm planning on making cake pops to bring to a friends birthday this coming weekend and I've run into a bit of a snag - it seems like the way to display them is to poke them into a chunk of styrofoam or a bit of that green stuff florists use but I just cannot touch the stuff, even thinking about touching it or hearing that awful squeaking noise it makes when it brushes up against something dry is making me shudder now! (mental I know!)

What I was thinking of doing is filling a few flower pots with cardboard or scrunched up paper and then putting madeira cake topped with green icing on top (so the pops will have something to stick into) and having them like a pot of flower pops. Is there anything else I could do with them that won't squeak and make me gag?

Oh - and when trying to figure this out I came across these which are a nifty bit of cake kit indeedy & if I had enough time I'd be getting some for the weekend, so cute!

(this is completely off-topic but just spotted this in the same shop- I also saw it in stock in Dublin over the weekend. $7 on etsy €21 in Stock!!! Un-bleeding-believable!!)

ok, I have an idea for you. I couldnt get styrofoam or oasis either, so used upside-down cups, very unsucessfully!
    so my idea is...modelling clay! I aint talking playdoh, but rather the type that drys in the air and hardens. DAS makes it, its cheap and you can get it in hobby shops. Simply shape it, into a flower pot if you like, poke in the holes with the stick deeply, and leave to dry.
    you can then paint it and even use it for prep too, just cover it with cling film to prevent drips.
    I came up with this idea mid-pop when my colander proved not to be load bearing!! Hope it helps :)

That is a class idea! Thanks so much :) I'm thinking I could mould the clay to fit inside a really pretty box I have and avoid having to go shopping for flower pots. Woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Baker8609

cant wait to try out these cake pops!
    oh by the way theres lollipop sticks here http://stuff4cakes.com/product_info.php/cPath/130/products_id/1177 :D

Made these at the weekend for my friends baby shower. They went down a treat

babycakepops.jpg
    girlcakepop.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

Hi :) I'm going to a party soon and i want to make these, I was just wondering what to mix into the crumbled cake mixture so that it will stick together. On the website it says frosting but I dont know exactly what she mean by that. I'm planning on making red velevet ones covered with white chocolate if thats any help. also on the website there is a recipe for red velevet cake pops but she says use a can of cream cheese frosting to stick it together, anyone know where i can get some and what exactly to look for? thanks :) much appreciated :)

Advertisement