Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you go to a gig with your children?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭

As above ...i want to go and see the Levellers and its not the sort of thing my partner would like at all so i asked my 18 year old daughter to come with me she is currently thinking about it:p...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

My brother brought his kids to Electric Picnic, but they are 11/12.

They did jump up and cover "everlong" in the Open Mic Tent though and the result has nearly 200k views on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWA3Fu6wto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'd go to a gig of their choice with them but i doubt they'd like any of my music. Then again i dont have kids so i'm not sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

I'm not a parent but I've gone to plenty of gigs with my folks down through the years; everything from a local gig, to a big one to Oxegen. It's no big deal I think though it could depend on your daughter-I had no problems going out with my parents but if it was suggested to my sister I'm sure her eyes would roll to heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Really depends on the relationship with your kids. I could have never with my parents but I know of mates who get on a lot better with theirs, can't see a problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

They did jump up and cover "everlong" in the Open Mic Tent though and the result has nearly 200k views on you tube:

They are really good and the little lad rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Brought my son (then 9) to Leonard Cohen in the O2 in 2009. We were third row and he enjoyed it. All the other fans there were giving him sweets and telling him how lucky he was.
    No way my other son would have gone, he was 19 then. Think he would now as he seems to be over the 'ashamed of the parents' stage. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

While I'd never have gone to a concert with my parents, I've brought my eldest girl whose 11 to see Lady Gaga last October. It didn't bother me being about 25 years older than the average agegroup there as there were a lot of Dads/Mothers chaperoning their kids.

Pity we couldn't mute the support act Semi Precious Weapons, who were not only absolutely sh1te, but their foul mouthed language was something I've never heard at any gig let alone one where there were a lot of kids 13 and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I know loads of my friends who have and still do go to gigs with their parents. I went to Michael Buble with the mammy. Great craic!
    The only time its not ok is when its a 2 year old that you have on your shoulders for the duration of the gig. Ruins everyone elses night and the blimmin kid wont even remember it!!!! >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Of course I do. If we both like the music then why would we not go to the gig together? Admittadly as soon as we get there she dissapears into the mosh front stage with her friends while I hang around at the back being cool and nonchalant.
    It does however annoy me when she gets news of upcoming gigs before I do - I thought I had my finger on the pulse.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Levellers?
    I'll go with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crazygamer111

mariaalice wrote: »
    As above ...i want to go and see the Levellers and its not the sort of thing my partner would like at all so i asked my 18 year old daughter to come with me she is currently thinking about it:p...
    My daughter (15) got tickets for MGMT in the Olympia and Paramore in the O2. She wanted me to go with her. I kept double checking if she wanted her friends to go. MGMT was her first ever concert. We went to both and she described them as 2 of the best experiences so far. Her only complaint was that the NEXT TIME we go to a concert we've got to be in front of the stage so we can dance. She even told me to make sure and wear jeans and flats, carry no bag etc. if you get on well with your daughter i dont see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Yes.

One thing i can't wait to share with my daughter is music.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

For sure.

We have brought out 2 lads ( 8 and 11) to U2 (our choice) and Black Eyed Peas (there choice) and had a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

If she's happy to go then go for it! Our, as yet unborn, child has already been to a music festival and quite a few gigs. We're really looking forward to being able to share our love of music with him or her.

I've gone to quite a few gigs with one or both of my parents, as well as to classical concerts, plays, movies etc. It's really nice to share time and entertainment with them. Our first three generation gig will be something to really look forward to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not a parent but have been to loads of gigs with my dad. We both love the same music and we have a great relationship so it's no hardship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hollybobkins

I brought my daughter (13 at the time) to Greenday in the O2 in 2009 and last summer we went to Greenday in Marlay Park. We queued for 8 hours to get into the mosh pit and enjoyed every minute of it. Our next concert is All time Low on 1/03/11. I could never have done this kind of thing with my parents !! Doing this with my daughter gives me great pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not that I remember.

When at Hellfest (Clisson, France) last year, saw lots of families. Helps that under 17's go in half price if with a family member, and under 12's go in free, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I've gone to a good few gigs with my mam! I'm 26 now, and think our taste in music somewhat combined when I was around 16 so started going to gigs together then. I love it!
    Saw loads of mammys and daddys at EP last year, and can't wait til I can do that!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In my late 20s and since I was 6 I have gone to gigs with my dad.
    It wouldn't be a regular thing but one or 2 a year and at this age it is great to have the night out with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Kids are absolutely brilliant - I'd defo bring them to a gig:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I brought my 8-year-old to Electric Picnic and he LOVED it. Can't wait to go again this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Slane 2002, Leonard Cohen, Emm Gryner, Belle and Sebatian, Little Feat off the top of my head, are all gigs I've gone to with one or both of my parents. All great shared experiences. I hope you go together, it'll be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aridal

I bring my kids to festivals and local gigs (greystones theatre) all the time. They're now 12 and 11 but we started some yrs ago. So far 4 EPs, 3 Oxegens and 2 Castlepaloozas.

Now - I did only bring the eldest to Oxegen, and the first yr we didn't camp. And in fact Oxegen has been the only dodgy experience, I don't think we'll go back. But EP is tops and Castlepalooza is ok (campsite can be noisy though).

Being a bit anal, we made a list of bands the other day, and they've seen pushing 120 including lots of heavy hitters like gorillaz, vampire weekend, arcade fire, blur, mercury rev, bjork, eels, muse...and a rake of small alternative acts.

Ya that all sounds braggy but anyhow my vote is go for it but be reallyl careful at the same time, they will encounter assholes.

Advertisement