Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical sockets not working. Help!

• 04-02-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently had a problem with a dodgy kettle in my kitchen, it tripped a switch on my fuse box so I replaced it (the kettle). The problem now is that the socket it was plugged in to doesn't work, and about half of the upstairs sockets don't seem to be working either.
    I tried replacing the original problem socket (the kettle one) but no success, what might the problem be?
    Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Hi all,
    I recently had a problem with a dodgy kettle in my kitchen, it tripped a switch on my fuse box so I replaced it (the kettle). The problem now is that the socket it was plugged in to doesn't work, and about half of the upstairs sockets don't seem to be working either.
    I tried replacing the original problem socket (the kettle one) but no success, what might the problem be?
    Many Thanks.

this is one of those times you need to call an electrician for! it could be a number of problems only the electrician will find and fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Sounds like somethings gone wrong back at the fuse board if a couple of sockets have stopped working, maybe a broken MCB. A sparky is best man for the job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

does your fuseboard have mcb's of is it an old one with screw in fuses. it sound like a breaker is tripped or fuse blown or possibly a loose connection...i'll pm you my number i can talk you through it on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Thanks guys, I have one of the "modern" fuseboards with circuit breakers/trip switches. One of them was tripped when the problem originally started but I pushed it back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Thanks guys, I have one of the "modern" fuseboards with circuit breakers/trip switches. One of them was tripped when the problem originally started but I pushed it back up.
    sometimes to reset the tripswitch ,you have to pull switch completely down to re-engage the mcb and then push it back up fully

• Advertisement
Advertisement