Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford/Westmeath Constituency debate Support

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up the following event;

21st February 2011 - Longford Arms Hotel, Longford

We aim to get at least 8 prospective TD’s standing in the forthcoming general election to debate for 1.5 hours about their policies and what they offer local people and will do to improve all our lives during the next government Session.

They will have the opportunity to give their parties point of view with an opening address and also using set questions debate topics and point their view across. We will also take one question from the audience which will be unseen. (Keep them on their toes).

The independent chairperson for the night, hopefully will be ……

Confirmed TD’s

Mary O’Rouke (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Labour)
    Peter Kelly (FF)
    Paul Hogan (SF)

What we are proposing has never been down before and is likely to draw national coverage. Never before has an Irish Constituency debate being live streamed over the internet allowing us to offer the debate to anyone with an internet connection or iPhone. Not only can they communicate throughout the whole constituency but the whole world.

The event will be covered not only for the general public but also the debate will be shown live on the Internet on Longfordtv.com and westmeathtv.com but also on our media partners websites also. You will also be able to watch it on your iPhone. The event will be recorded and available for playback the following day.

We are aiming to get a local radio station to cover the event live and broadcast live on the night.

Would anyone here support it? We have facebook/twitter setup and a website www.westmeathtv.com what we need is to gather momentum and somebody with a lot of friends in Longford to help us publicise it in the early stages.

Can you help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Why not in Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

Same question Mary O'Rourke asked me.

The reason behind me doing this is not political or for financial gain.

I simply wanted to demonstrate my new companies abilities to the local enterprise board as they had put an application for some funding on hold as they did not understand the technology i was offering.

This is the reason I choose Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

Seems like a great idea.

Will the debate be open to the public? If so will it be by ticket ?

Open to the general public, but by ticket, free tickets will be available from the media partners soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 myclinic

Great idea !! Every constituency should do the same will help us make up our minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b4boxer

Boxer says

Time for talking and debate is over !!

Only talking should be on the door step !!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Sounds like A great idea and something that could be happening in every constituency by the next election. hope it goes well for you. I'll be watching!

b4boxer wrote: »
    Boxer says

Time for talking and debate is over !!

Only talking should be on the door step !!

Why do it in front of one when your policies should stand up to the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Excellent idea. Is the virtual attendance (westmeathtv.com) interactive, ie can questions be asked of the debaters via the link?

muckety wrote: »
    Excellent idea. Is the virtual attendance (westmeathtv.com) interactive, ie can questions be asked of the debaters via the link?

Not interactive but live. I think i would get no candidates at all if they had to answer any question.

• Advertisement

The event is confirmed;

Debators

Mary O'Rourke (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Labour)
    Paul Hogan (SF)
    Donal Jackson (Ind)

Still no FG confirmed but i live in hope

Coverage in Longford Leader, Athlone advertiser and Mullingar Advertiser this week. Make sure you get a copy.

If the other candidates come to your door; ask them why they wont attend a public debate? Do their policies not stand up?

Debators

Mary O'Rourke (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Labour)
    Paul Hogan (SF)
    Donal Jackson (Ind)
    David D'Arcy (ind)

latest list

Senator Nicky McFadden (FG) today made a change to her schedule, so she could make the live Debate on 21st Febraury. This surprise move came as a bit of a shock to the organises Plus Ev Media who welcomed Nicky to attend.
    Her team made sure they cleared the space, so she could attend as she felt that speaking to her consituency in this debate was very important.

We hope a few more may clear there diary's.

Fair play to Nicky coming on.

Nicky McFadden (FG)
    Mary O'Rourke (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Labour)
    Paul Hogan (SF)
    Donal Jackson (Ind)
    David D'Arcy (Ind)

I hope some of the Westmeath voters can make the trip up to Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Longfordlad

IPR_Iain wrote: »
    Senator Nicky McFadden (FG) today made a change to her schedule, so she could make the live Debate on 21st Febraury. This surprise move came as a bit of a shock to the organises Plus Ev Media who welcomed Nicky to attend.
    Her team made sure they cleared the space, so she could attend as she felt that speaking to her consituency in this debate was very important.

We hope a few more may clear there diary's.

Fair play to Nicky coming on.

Nicky McFadden (FG)
    Mary O'Rourke (FF)
    Mae Sexton (Labour)
    Paul Hogan (SF)
    Donal Jackson (Ind)
    David D'Arcy (Ind)

I hope some of the Westmeath voters can make the trip up to Longford.

Iain, I know of at least 1 candidate above who has NOT confirmed that they will be present at the debate. A number of other questions I would like to ask you is, if you have all the candidates attending at your debate, what format will that debate take? How are you going to ensure that the debate is carried out in a manner that doesn’t involve the whole thing turning into a ridiculous shouting match and therefore the viewer not being able to decipher any of the policies being debated etc? How are you going to allot time? Will the whole thing turn into a political broadcast for each attendee with no real time to debate issues because of the number of candidates. I cannot see this format working!

Iain, I know of at least 1 candidate above who has NOT confirmed that they will be present at the debate. A number of other questions I would like to ask you is, if you have all the candidates attending at your debate, what format will that debate take? How are you going to ensure that the debate is carried out in a manner that doesn’t involve the whole thing turning into a ridiculous shouting match and therefore the viewer not being able to decipher any of the policies being debated etc? How are you going to allot time? Will the whole thing turn into a political broadcast for each attendee with no real time to debate issues because of the number of candidates. I cannot see this format working!

Which candidate is not attending?

The format will be purely about policies and what the candidates stand for. There will be no shouting match as we will be using a podium system where each candidate will take to the podium to make there point and debate/answer the questions.
    Time will be given at the end for them to attack/answer/debate comments made by each other.

Using this one podium system will ensure the candidates will not shout over each other and the viewer/public in hall will hear what each has to say.

A debate, should be one person at a time, giving there answers to the questions, to ensure they get there point across. We will be actively seeking that candidates make there answer relevant to the constituency where possible.

Full details of format will be released when totally agreed with candidates.

The shocking thing about all this is that there is no Longford representation apart from Mae. Bannon still to confirm, Kelly to reconsider. It comes to something when a local event isn't represented by our local TD's

Ok, Tickets available. - Get your a seat.

PM Me your email or email tickets@longfordtv.com

Still no Longford candidates confirmed for this debate. All 5 confirmed candidates will be from Westmeath.

I can see them picking up a few extra first pref and loads of transfers.

Few tickets gone out to Westmeath. there are a few still available to be picked up on the door.

you can still watch it on westmeathtv.com though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

This is on now btw - www.westmeathtv.com

Advertisement