Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tantrums

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

AS you all know my guy is 4 and has a few issues, something happened this morning and i suppose i want to talk about it to see if anyone else has come across it.

I took my fella to preschool he did not want to go and kicked and screamed all the way, when we got in there he threw an almighty tantrum, lately his tantrums are not only upsetting they seem to be causing him pain. He block his ears and hits his head forces his fingers in his ears again say ouch ouch ouch, he is not say ouch from hurting him self he seems to be hurting inside his head, which made me think perhaps is not a temper tantrum but anxiety. I know there is a lot of frustration in there as well because he cant communicate what he wants to say.

I am going to ask about this next week as he has an appointment with the early intervention educator/speech therapist.

I try to soothe him when his in a tantrum. There is temper thrown in there as well, but its the pain he seems to have while in the tantrum that concerns me. As soon as i have calmed him down the pain goes (it could take from 25 mins to 1 and a half hours to calm him down). Today's tantrum lasted 25 mins.

I suppose my question is does anyone else have a child that experiences pain while throwing a tantrum.

(not asking for professional advice as i will be talking to someone about it)
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Hi grindelwald, i would be more concerned about why he is throwing a tantrum going to pre-school and when you get there.What is his issue and why is he so deeply troubled about going?
    At 4, I think you could have a reasonable discussion with him about this.
    I would also discuss it with the staff, explain his upset and ask what they believe is causing it.
    You cannot deal with a tantrum like this until you know the cause. Without trying to alarm or upset you, my daughter would skip to pre-scool at that age. So i do think there is a serious issue at the pre-school upsetting him.
    I know you are implying he does have (behavioural)? issues so i can't really give an opinion, just a few observations.
    Blocking his ears going in... maybe he finds the environment (other children) very noisy and cannot cope with that?

Im sure you have been talking to him but again ask him in simple terms WHY he does not like going to pre-school...

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thanks for getting back to me, he cant talk that well (has the speech of a 2 year old) so he cant tell my why he doesnt want to go, he also has the comprehension of a 2 year old so explaining things dont work either.

Some days he runs to the door all excited other days he doesnt even want to leave the house. I been told to ignore tantrums unless he puts himself in danger, and he does so i have to try and clam him down. The pre school is great with him, and he gives his teachers hugs and kisses leaving, he has a sna for 2 days mon and tues and when she is there i leave him even if he is throwing a tantrum when she isnt there there is no one available to take control of his tantrum, as soon as he snaps out of it he goes in all smiles.

I think some days he just does not want to go to pre school. He is to do his school play on tuesday but i went to the rehearsal and he didnt even take part, we encouraged him to but he just wanted to run around and hide unde the tables and the stage. He seems to be in pain when he throws a tantrum and thats the area that concerns me. He isnt throwing the tantrum because he is in pain its like he screams that much and is so angry that it manifests as a pain in his head, tension headache??

He up for an asd assesment in march so i will mention it to them as well. He is also being referred for a adhd assesment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It might sound bizarre, but what's the lighting like in the classroom? Do the lights make noise? Are they too bright? Those combined with the noise of other kids, the smells, the general madness and his inability to express/identify what he needs could just be overwhelming?

Advertisement