Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed Up At Work

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I've messed up pretty bad at work and wondered has anyone else experiences of messing up big time at work and how it turned out? The positives of how it turned out would be good but I suppose I need to hear the negatives too.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why it's how I got this username, my first thread over in PI :D

Don't cover it up.
    Go to the boss now. Bosses have contacts and if there is another company involved, sometimes the bosses and directors can negotiate mistakes away. But they need to know asap

So tell your boss, then do up some sort of clear timeline of what happpened.
    And be sure to say you're available to discuss what happened.

You might get called to a meeting, the timeline will help you get your facts right so like you won't break down in a meeting and get upset.

I'm not sure was that what you were looking for, have I misread your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

Thanks for the reply. It does help, I was looking for general advice or comments from people who had similar experiences and if they survived! so I could see light at the end of the tunnel.

The worst part is that it's partly the bosses fault but they'll never admit that and i've been covering it up for a while now but the client pulled out and has just sent an email mentioning my name as being the cause of all the problems. I kinda feel like I'm being scapegoated now. But the boss hasn't come back yet so I'll have the weekend to get things straight in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd document everything you can while it's fresh in your head. It's very easy to get the sequence of events or exact details wrong when you're stressed. Print out / save whatever communications might be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even though they might not admit it, the bosses will be aware that the blame was at least partly shared. Just because the client has named you doesn't mean they will not take anything else into consideration.

Easy to be wise after the event, but it is always worth remembering that if there is anything going on that could go bad, if you possibly can, send an email to an appropriate person so there is a record that you did try to warn the business that there could be a problem.

Advertisement