Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 2 Semester 1 Failed

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I really let myself go this semester and did awful in my exams.... Really didnt do well and now I suppose I will have to resit, Im really not sure what do you think I should do?
    Results are:
    E
    E
    G
    E
    F
    D

What are my best options with such awful grades?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Drop out and emigrate. All the kids are doing it nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Really? Are you ripping the piss or are you grades actually that low?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

id say if you had the money itd be repeating the year or maybe look at alternative courses and apply to another one through the cao if u were to switch now u could only have to pay half fees and id say itd be cheaper than 6 repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Really? Are you ripping the piss or are you grades actually that low?

condescending much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hey, just wanted to make sure he was being serious! Possibility of trolls on results days are quite high.

However if it's actually serious then i'd suggest doing semester X next year, with grades that low it's obvious that he needs to repeat the modules next year to actually understand what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

paddy54321 wrote: »
    Hi, I really let myself go this semester and did awful in my exams.... Really didnt do well and now I suppose I will have to resit, Im really not sure what do you think I should do?
    Results are:
    E
    E
    G
    E
    F
    D

What are my best options with such awful grades?

Don't panic Paddy, first of all. You got into college so you're not a total idiot and you are capable of better. I got 3 Es last summer and thought about dropping out. Then I realised I just didn't work, put the head down and passed them with distinction in the repeats/resits. So long as you can afford it it's always possible to sort these problems in UCD. Your degree might take longer but you can still get one if you're willing to do some work.

Go talk to your programme office. The people in the Arts one were absolutely brilliant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

The best thing you can do paddy is repeat the G the F and your easiest E, and work hard this semester and you will pass the other 2 E's by compensation and still leave yourself with the option of getting another E incase you have a bad exam.

But you really need to ask yourself why you did so bad, whether its personal reasons, laziness or a disinterest in your course, you need to sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 paddy54321

No I am not lying. I was panicing I didn't know what to do. I passed first year well and now I have done awful I suppose I did not put the work in and got lazy. I can resit modules if needs be so do you think I should repeat the E,F,G? Will it be too much work for the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How many modules are you allowed resit in the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

same situation
    e
    e
    e
    e
    f
    g
    b+
    .dono if i can afford semester x. and the b was in an elective.fml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

3 repeats is do-able. But it will impact other subjects this semesters grades as you cannot devote same time to them.

Get to work now, and save up because repeats are expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

Long time lurker first time poster here.

Due to a couple of reasons (the big one being laziness) I was in a pretty similar situation a few years ago having failed the whole of my 3rd year science degree pretty miserably.

First thing I did was to go to the Programme Office and see what options were available to me. I also went to the student advisor which was very helpful.

I ended up being able to change my major (at a cost) and after talking to some lecturers realised I was making the right choice by switching and I'm now on course for a good final GPA.

Anyway, talk to the programme office, advisors, lecturers and anyone else who can help then get the head down for the rest of semester, get good results and see where you stand in May. Stage X might be the answer for you and 3 months is really no time at all.

Best of luck with your decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

yeah same position. payin is gonna be a problem for me thats my biggest problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

partyndbs wrote: »
    yeah same position. payin is gonna be a problem for me thats my biggest problem.

You can get student loans from certain banks that you only have to pay when you graduate with no interest. Think it's around €500-600 max.

But you can get them from a couple of banks to get up to ~€1000. My friend did it earlier on In the year for a new laptop and rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's important to remember student registration will be €2,000 next year then you'll need to add €250 per each subject your repeating so it could work as pretty expensive if you drop out and go semester X route. Alot will depend on the subjects you failed. If someone them were are assignment based you'll just need to repeat those which will be easy enough if you put a bit work into it, however if alot are end of term exams it might be harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

when do you have to pay for repeats by?

Advertisement