Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games so bad, boring or ridiculous they should never been released

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent! If you do happen to find any episodes, give me a shout.

I have these really vivid childhood memories of sitting in after school in the depths of winter in front of a roaring fire watching that. Good times!

You know it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Watched the two first parts of that (they took an absolute age to load up on my ****ty internet connection) and that's still really enjoyable!

Methinks Ciderdude was just a cynical teenager when it came out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Knightmare was the best thing on tv back in the day. I often wondered whether it should be remade with todays advances in technology?

ciDeR, sure you were probably nearing 30 when it was on tv, and were just too 'cool' to watch it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

batari wrote: »
    Knightmare was the best thing on tv back in the day. I often wondered whether it should be remade with todays advances in technology?

ciDeR, sure you were probably nearing 30 when it was on tv, and were just too 'cool' to watch it :P

There was an VR in the works but nothing else came out of it,not a fan either looking back now,reminds of the ye olde text adventure games,"pick up item,go to door,the door wont open", AAAAAAAAAGH,anyways here VR pilot and fan page-

http://www.knightmare.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

DinoRex wrote: »
    Hey! Knightmare was a great show. Got to love Treguard.

But I do remember the C64 game being awful. Don't think I ever figured out how to get by the second screen.

There was a very good Knightmare game on the Amiga though that was in the style of Eye of the Beholder.

I have never heard of anyone getting by the second room!

I loved the tv show though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Funkfield wrote: »
    I have never heard of anyone getting by the second room!

I loved the tv show though.
    Good to know I wasn't a thicko.

I do remember the show being the best thing on Friday afternoon TV until Batman the Animated series came along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That was it, I was too old at that stage to appreciate it.
    Had moved onto the Crystal Maze around then, I think..

As for Addams Family on Speccy, looks pretty good actually, the gameplay in these things was always rock hard and unforgiving.
    The colours are nice, given the extremely limited palette at the machines disposal.

Batman and Head Over Heels, now they were a brilliant pair of games.
    The Speccy was actually a great machine, but you would have to go back to when it was all optimised for the format, no multiloading crap, back in 84-88 say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Good to know I wasn't a thicko.

I do remember the show being the best thing on Friday afternoon TV until Batman the Animated series came along.

That must have been around 90/91, I remember Batman The Animated Series as a revelation.
    Warner were doing all the best stuff back then, Tiny Toons Adventures was top class, remember watching the feature length one on nights when I was training, back in the day, brilliant stuff before it was eventually replaced in my heart by Animaniacs, Pinky and The Brain, Freakazoid etc.
    Never watched the Superman cartoons nor the various Batman cartoons since, they never seemed as "earnest" as that Batman series of the early 90's.

Of course, I was getting into my 20's so Beavis & Butthead and Ren & Stimpy were a-callin' !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I remember watching Knightmare and thought it was the bees knees, but after the first couple of shows found it to be boring...Same rooms, same puzzles and the bloke dressed in medeival costume jabbering on in the background. I am sorry, but it just did not float my boat.
    As for the the Spectrum that was a brill machine. Spent many an hour playing that, mostly played Ulitmate play the game games....Jetpac ( have on Xbox), Transam, Knight Lore,Saberwolf and atic atac.

http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_detailpage&v=xJaHK8dJKbw

Good Times

• Advertisement

I remember watching Knightmare and thought it was the bees knees, but after the first couple of shows found it to be boring...Same rooms, same puzzles and the bloke dressed in medeival costume jabbering on in the background. I am sorry, but it just did not float my boat.
    As for the the Spectrum that was a brill machine. Spent many an hour playing that, mostly played Ulitmate play the game games....Jetpac ( have on Xbox), Transam, Knight Lore,Saberwolf and atic atac.

http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_detailpage&v=xJaHK8dJKbw

Good Times

I think what happened is if it made an impression on you as a kid, it sticks with you through the years. Unless your Retr0, big impressions like that tend to survive the cynicism that sets in in later years :D It explains why I had to buy a 3DO, and why Cider doesn't rate Knightmare (he never liked it much to begin with, so no impression was made).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

And who could forget Gremlins 2 on the C64... Which I couldn't find a video for

I had Gremlins on the Speccy, it was pretty good.
    Plus, it taught me the word "peruse", which is nice....
    To this day I sometimes, just sometimes peruse the papers, instead of flicking through them, although more often it's only when I buy the Sunday Times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had Gremlins on the Speccy, it was pretty good.
    Plus, it taught me the word "peruse", which is nice....
    To this day I sometimes, just sometimes peruse the papers, instead of flicking through them, although more often it's only when I buy the Sunday Times!

You can't peruse the sunday papers without a monacle.

Master of the Universe

You can't peruse the sunday papers without a monacle.

And a top hat. You really can't forget the top hat.

• Advertisement

I peruse Boards. (whatever that means)

komodosp wrote: »
    Oh yes that was awful. Spectrum level of graphics there.

They did a better job with the sequel. But I think it was cartridge only back when Commodore were deluded enough to think the C64GS would take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I was going to mention this one:

... But looking back at these clips now, it doesn't seem as bad as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Double Dragon on the C64 was positvely next gen compared to this dross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Did anyone ever figure out what to do on this one?

• Advertisement

Did anyone ever figure out what to do on this one?
    Oh. Nightbreed: The Action Game.

I remember playing alright and not having a clue what I was supposed to do. Seemed to let you wander around pretty far into the game though but I could never actually accomplish anything.

Night Breed: The Intereactive Movie on the Amiga was a very strange beast though. Don't even know what genre you'd consider it to be. It was oddly compelling though.

I read the book, then watched the film and believe me, all very confusing, so not much hope for the game then!
    That said the movie did hit new heights for make up effects, and new lows for a script that made sense.
    This is why Clive Barker is very much in second place compared to Niel Gaiman, though he does have the top spot in creatures that like to devour flesh whist having their own stomachs pulled apart with fish hooks, but thats what we in the business call a "niche award"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

komodosp wrote: »

Damn that I used to like all those games.........I suck:(

I read the book, then watched the film and believe me, all very confusing, so not much hope for the game then!
    That said the movie did hit new heights for make up effects, and new lows for a script that made sense.
    This is why Clive Barker is very much in second place compared to Niel Gaiman, though he does have the top spot in creatures that like to devour flesh whist having their own stomachs pulled apart with fish hooks, but thats what we in the business call a "niche award"
    The best thing about Nightbreed was David Cronnenberg playing the bad guy. He's not an actor so came across as really off kilter and creepy.

He turns up in a few of his movies too, but yes, that was pretty good.
    I remember being in the old Forbidden Planet on Dawson St where they had Fangoria and a special on the makeup of NightBreed, pretty amazing stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deathrider wrote: »
    I was going to mention this one:

... But looking back at these clips now, it doesn't seem as bad as I remember.

This one is actually a bit of a hidden gem and really fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    I peruse Boards. (whatever that means)

Lol EnterNow peruses boards :D How embarassing!

Try being about 12 and trying to figure out why the game won't let you just look in the box?
    I mean, that was the problem with 80's text adventures, and there were loads on the Speccy.
    The games parser was limited by the responses the programmer was likely to expect his audience to use, this is why The Hobbit was so good, it was relatively simple to play.
    But Gremlins, I mean, come on!
    Referring to earlier posts on the topic, perhaps the programmer/designer of the game sat in their lounge chair, sipping sherry, smoking a pipe and reading the Financial Times, adjusting their top hat and monocle every now and then, while making the word "peruse" the only way to have a search/look into a box!

Had to look up the definition after that post, I'm in the clear though :D

Try being about 12 and trying to figure out why the game won't let you just look in the box?
    I mean, that was the problem with 80's text adventures, and there were loads on the Speccy.
    Leisure Suit Larry was awful for it's Americanisations.

Can't remember how long it too me to realise it wanted me to type 'trash' instead of 'rubbish'

• Advertisement

The biggest flaw with the Speccy Final Fight is, aside from asking the hardware to run it at all, the scrolling is too juddery to make playing comfortable.
    I reckon better to ask the Speccy to play Gameboy type games then try to keep up with the Nes, never mind the Snes.
    The Amiga version of SFII looks pretty good actually, and given how moddable the Amiga is I'd say you could get a network game going on if you really wanted too!
    Kerbdog was using an Amiga to browse the interweb back in 95 or so, very impressive it was.

Amiga SF2 was a bit sluggish though, and of course you only had one button.

Didn't have paralax scrolling either, which the Amiga was well able for.

Shadow Fighter and Body Blows where the best examples of fighters on the Amiga:

Amiga SF2 was a bit sluggish though, and of course you only had one button.

Mortal kombat was great on it,even better than MD port

Master of the Universe

I was playing the MK 2 port on the Amiga last night and I dunno, it didn't seem to top the Megadrive version. The colours are really washed out, the animations look crap and it handles like a dog.

Its been a while since I've played MD MK2, but I don't think it was as bad as that.

I was playing the MK 2 port on the Amiga last night and I dunno, it didn't seem to top the Megadrive version. The colours are really washed out, the animations look crap and it handles like a dog.

Its been a while since I've played MD MK2, but I don't think it was as bad as that.

Bah we had to do with floppies and swap them for a fatality.

Master of the Universe

I still find that really hilarious :D

I still find that really hilarious :D
    Alot of Amig games originally didnt have HD install so titter ye not.

Bah we had to do with floppies and swap them for a fatality.

Are you serious? Lol, ya gotta love magnetic storage :D

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are you serious? Lol, ya gotta love magnetic storage :D

Different disks,they where double density,aka 880kb not the usual 1.44mb sort on the regular pcs

jaysus i seem to be giving lessons in all this today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Anyone ever play a terrible game called 'Angel Devoid' truely terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

The power rangers movie game for the Megadrive... just horrible. It was the same three enemies over and over; literally. Oh wait, I think they had a boss or two

For worst, it has to be the Street Fighter: The Movie game that the lads were playing in MonkeyFudges place of residence on Retrogaming Beers Night.
    Not only a poor version of a great game, but all that money making a poor version of a great game which is based on an awful awful movie which is based on a great game and a poor reflection of some great manga/anime based on a great game.

I wonder if the various parts of the developers were ever found?
    Are they in the foundations of Kansai International Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

For worst, it has to be the Street Fighter: The Movie game that the lads were playing in MonkeyFudges place of residence on Retrogaming Beers Night.?

MonkeyFudge was that the guy drinking the wine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the MD verison of MK2 to be utterly appalling just like most of Probe Softwares output. It was a terrible port of the game that removed all the juggle combos leaving a very simple and boring fighter. The SNES version which should have been worse because of the memory problems snes games had (they took up more space than megadrive games on the cartridges) managed to include all the juggle combos and was an excellent coversion.

The SNES port of MK1 is also gameplay wise is nigh on identical to the arcade version whereas the MD version is another disgraceful port by Probe. However since the blood was removed and it was a god awful game to begin with the megadrive one is considered better since the gore was the only thing that game had going for it.
    For worst, it has to be the Street Fighter: The Movie game that the lads were playing in MonkeyFudges place of residence on Retrogaming Beers Night.

Funnily enough the Saturn and PS1 ports of the game are really good. They are based more around SSF2T than mortal kombat like tha arcade game and therefore play really well despite looking like assdue to the use of digitised sprites.

• Advertisement

I think the problem wik MK 2 for the Megadrive was the fact the AI was basically impossible to beat. Fire an ice bolt, it ducks. Uppercut it, it ducks, uppercuts you when you should have hit it first. There are a bunch. I think some of the combos worked with Reptile well, though.

His fireball to uppercut is about as complex as it got. I think Mileenas infinite combo was in there as well. If the combo was more than 2 hits long though you could forget about it.

Maybe I'm thinking of UMK3...

Wasn't there an infinite for Kitana? Or was that also just in UMK3? :P

I'm probably getting the two girls mixed up. Probe did a better job of MK3 and Ultimate MK3 which unfortunately suffered the same fate as SSF2 on the MD with the ultra tiny character sprites to save memory. Still UMK3 and MK3 were really bad games and all the combos were predefined dial a combos which made it a bit boring.

Kitana was the girl with fans; the infinite involved using the floating fan move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PPFtfW5nnE&feature=related

That's one of the infinites (I never really was serious about the MK games so I didn't know if it worked when I had it).

I think MK3 was the best. UMK3 kind of just broke it with Noob Saibot (I'm sure he was in UMK3).

• Advertisement
Advertisement