Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games so bad, boring or ridiculous they should never been released

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FrDickByrne

A top class game but a game with the most ridiculous loading screen in the history of gaming. I'd link it but would probably be banned. I remember playing Super Off The Road on the amiga as a child being total obilivous to what I was seeing. Upon my return to the amiga a few years back I was shocked.

Tis on youtube if ya fancy a gander. Super Off The Road amiga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know exactly what you're talking about and I havent see it in years. Are you talking about the flash screen at the start with the devil and the angel?

If you are, I hadn't a clue what was going on either!

Yep, had a look on youtube and that's it. Haha, thank you for solving that mystery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Ah here, I've bit me tongue long enough reading this thread, but I won't have E.T. slandered! If you've actually played it thru to completion, you'll know it's actually a good game.

And Stone Roses, wtf man, you're actually contributing here and not trolling anymore!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah now lay off Hard Drivin'. Who ever had the task of programming polygons on the C64 had balls of steel to even pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah now lay off Hard Drivin'. Who ever had the task of programming polygons on the C64 had balls of steel to even pull it off.

Polywha? :D I remember when Hard Drivin' and Race Drivin' were the most expensive machines in the arcade. 50p and £1 respectively :eek:!

Bought them for the C64 and wasn't impressed. You'd think the slow framerate would make the turns a doddle, but the devs soaking the controls in treacle seemed to solve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The power rangers movie game for the Megadrive... just horrible. It was the same three enemies over and over; literally. Oh wait, I think they had a boss or two

Yeah I remember that. Cleared it in 20 minutes inside in a shop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

I know EA has been involved in some lemons over the years but Shaq Fu must be up there with the worst. Think i would rather cuts my thumbs off than play this sh1t.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are you talking about the flash screen at the start with the devil and the angel?

Hahah, I think this is one of the most memorable cracktro's I've ever seen. Paradox had some pretty good ones back in the day. The game itself is a pretty good conversation of a really fun arcade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

DickyC wrote: »
    I know EA has been involved in some lemons over the years but Shaq Fu must be up there with the worst. Think i would rather cuts my thumbs off than play this sh1t.

Shaq-fu was also ported to the Amiga. Nice animation and graphics but bewildering gameplay.

And it looks like I missed out by only playing Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road Racer (it's full title) on the C64

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

batari wrote: »
    Ah here, I've bit me tongue long enough reading this thread, but I won't have E.T. slandered! If you've actually played it thru to completion, you'll know it's actually a good game.

And Stone Roses, wtf man, you're actually contributing here and not trolling anymore!! :D

It was a good game but at time it was out; well we know the video game crash era. That's why most people hate it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

James Pond

James Pond was awesome! :D I actually loved that game.

Super Hang-On never failed to annoy me when I was younger.

Tedious stuff, trying not to crash, wobble or skid off the track.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

ET is crap...then again Atari released a whole lot of crap back then.

LoGiE wrote: »
    then again Atari released a whole lot of crap back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Ha ha I'd nearly buy a 2600 just for that game it looks ridiculous what were Atari thinking letting a port that bad be releases on thier system even the sound effects are really bad:D

pdbhp wrote: »
    Ha ha I'd nearly buy a 2600 just for that game it looks ridiculous what were Atari thinking letting a port that bad be releases on thier system even the sound effects are really bad:D

the system lifespan was from 1977-1992!.

the system lifespan was from 1977-1992!.

Yep we had one at home for nearly the whole lifespan of the console, my brother has our old woody now.
    Such a pity I didn't pick one up when they were selling them off for £1 and £2 for the woody and like 50p for the games:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have the Spectrum emulator on my Android phone with access to all the games and have been going through all my favourites from years gone by
    ah Chaos and Rebelstar II how i missed you!
    must try some of the duds posted on here :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I only got introduced to Chaos on the spectrum in the last few months. It really is amazing and one of the best multiplayer games ever. 8 player games are just crazy. Also played some rebelstar raiders and laser squad. Laser Squad is probably one of the most visually impressive games I've seen on the Spectrum and it's a great game to boot. Love the rocket launcher and how all the scenery and walls are fully destructible.

• Advertisement

many a time it nearly came to blows playing Laser Squad and we would have to leave the room when deploying units
    I actually sent off for the expansion pack back in the day to give you 3 more maps...hmm maybe thats where Infinity Ward got their idea from ;)

you can play Chaos online here and it also has a great remake with nice graphics but no Gooey Blobs though :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

pdbhp wrote: »

$$$$$$$:D

128k speccys had some outstanding ports in later life,such console games as swiv was ported-

Ah. SWIV was a home computer game first and got converted to the consoles later.

batari wrote: »
    Roses, wtf man, you're actually contributing here and not trolling anymore!!
    im alright as long i dont read shíte about how cool and life changing a certain item is and your life is not worth living if you dont own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

im alright as long i dont read shíte about how cool and life changing a certain item is and your life is not worth living if you dont own one.

Lulz ya gotta see my 'trex it's so friggin awesome, life is not worth livin' unless your livin' it with vector sweetness.*

Joke - don't kill me :p

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yo yo mo 'trex homie, keepin' it real!

Roses is just hatin' cos he ain't got da' shizzle. Our shizzle is fo' nizzle bro! Ya dig?!

(I have absolutely no idea what I just said)

Roses is just hatin' cos he ain't got da' shizzle. Our shizzle is fo' nizzle bro! Ya dig?!

Really, you should be banned for that abuse...........at least I think it was abuse.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I do quiet dig, you're speaking my native tongue homie

Abuse of the english language. I swear my oxford english dictionary just shed a tear.

i think you will find it actually performed lacrimation

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Lulz ya gotta see my 'trex it's so friggin awesome, life is not worth livin' unless your livin' it with vector sweetness.

Even better than this shít? -

Even better than this shít? -

I was joking though :D Seom nice stuff you have there, should make a few of these fellas have to cross their legs :pac:

Argh, what is it about the VB that makes me want one? I know most of the games are pathetic, & it's more of a bragging right really, but I still can't convince myself of a good reason NOT to own one :(

Argh, what is it about the VB that makes me want one? I know most of the games are pathetic, & it's more of a bragging right really, but I still can't convince myself of a good reason NOT to own one :(

Novelty like 32x,same with amiga,winuae is more stable and affordable than the real thing itself.

Novelty like 32x,same with amiga,winuae is more stable and affordable than the real thing itself.

Exactly, it doesn't make sense really. It's definitely a sickness :(

I want a Virtual Boy for the same reason I want a Vectrex, there's just no way to emulate it accurately. You're not playing virtual boy unless you get dehabilitating neck pain from it.

Exactly, it doesn't make sense really. It's definitely a sickness :(
    i dont have an vectrex so use this-
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaAnXgpJN_eLPvsPvLWSDeUJep6ZESumpDq6UwMbbUeL5uAKtUmg&t=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Awful awful tie-in for an awful awful tv show. Memorable only as it was my first ever computer game. It had the typical "denton design" character-switch and icon-submenu just to make the game even less fun.

I was a huge fan of Mercs in the arcade so imagine my disapointment when I camehome with this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I want a Virtual Boy for the same reason I want a Vectrex
    no you don't! You want it to show off to your brother with :pac:

Sera wrote: »
    no you don't! You want it to show off to your brother with :pac:

Ha ha, it was one of the only things that impressed him and he was asking why the hell I haven't got one :)

bonerm wrote: »

Awful awful tie-in for an awful awful tv show. Memorable only as it was my first ever computer game. It had the typical "denton design" character-switch and icon-submenu just to make the game even less fun.
    I had the the other Transformers game which was possibly even worse despite the cool intro.

They didn't seem to quite get the concept that Hot Rod and Rodimus Primes are the same guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bonerm wrote: »

I had it on the Spectrum and loved it!
    No slagging it now!
    It was one of the few games I ever finished!

Check out tank detail at 5.27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

DinoRex wrote: »
    I had the the other Transformers game which was possibly even worse despite the cool intro.

They didn't seem to quite get the concept that Hot Rod and Rodimus Primes are the same guy.

Check out tank detail at 5.27

Doesn't look half bad. At least the scrolling isn't slower than the main character!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Uridium on the C64 is a stone cold classic, I have it on the VC on Wii and its still great, if hard as hell.
    The Speccy version was never supposed to exist, the machine incapable of scrolling smoothly enough or handling anything like the graphics of the original, and yet, with certain "adaptions" to the visuals they did it, and it rocked!
    I remember Crash did a 4 page spread review.

Just read this on Wikipedia about Uridium.

"Since the Commodore 64's graphics do not support parallax scrolling, particular trickery was required to achieve this. The way it was done is that the Dreadnoughts' surface is actually the background, and the black empty space and the stars are character glyphs on the foreground. As the Commodore 64's graphics chip scrolls the screen to the left or right, the character glyphs representing the stars change shape by shifting their single lit pixels to the right or left, countering the scroll of the screen and giving the impression they were stationary."

Very clever. Also didn't know it was rebranded as a Last Starfighter game on the NES. Similiar to the sad fate Turrican met with when it was ported to the consoles.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah, rebranding! I still can't believe they did that. Turrican/Universal Soldier has to be the worst. Didn't know about Uridium/The Last Starfighter. I'll have to pick that up for the NES.

Imagine they did it now? Not so hard with some games I guess. A new title screen and Some Xenomorphs in Halo..you'd wouldn't even notice the difference. :pac:

Advertisement