Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games so bad, boring or ridiculous they should never been released

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andrew76 wrote: »
    My point is, Goldeneye's frame rate doesn't detract one bit from it being fun. If you didn't like the game when it came out because of personal preference (or it was a bad game according to general consensus) then that's cool, but if you thought the game was good when it came out but are now saying it's not good, because it's frame rate is not as high as more modern and tech advanced games, then that's wrong.

It's not just the framerate though. There's a lot of stuff in goldeneye that has been phased out of modern shooters because it was never fun to begin with.
    Speaking for myself, I didn't see many failings with it at the time. Whether it looked "quaint" in your eyes is not the point. Half-Life didn't turn Goldeneye into a bad game in the same way HL2 didn't turn HL1 into a bad game. And you're comparison of what your dad might have found fun vs what you did is a different point altogether. :).

At the time I didn't see any failings with it either. The AI was superb, the level structure was different and non-linear, the control scheme was inspired and it had stealth elements. Now the AI is laughably bad, the level structure seems really random and built with no real level design philosophy behind a lot of them (the project lead even says so himself), the control scheme only works because there's so much auto-aim that if you look at some one the gun sights will jump on to them, the respawning bad guys is and always will be a terrible idea, the stealth just doesn't work all that well and control and the tank level are two of the worst levels ever made, up there with Halo 3's Cortana level.

I'm trying to figure this out as well but maybe it's because we have seen how good FPS games can be that Goldeneye with all that it did wrong it just doesn't feel relevent and now that we have seen what the modern shooter has to offer Goldeneye isn't the best you can get anymore and has dated. It's why Half-Life 2 didn't turn Half-Life 1 into a bad game. Half-Life 1 still holds up today (well apart from Zen) and isthe tmeplate that all modern shooters are based on with little deviation. I other than Zen I realy can't find any fault in Half-Life that feels like it's been significantly bettered or just plain feels dated, the way respawning enemies feel, next to other FPS games.

If I really was judging this game next to modern shooters then why do I think that Doom, Doom 2, Blood, Dark Forces amongst others are some of the best shooters ever made and still are? All those games by rights should have dated much worse than Goldeneye yet I still feel they are relevent and as good as the day they came out.
    Um, that's kind of confusing but from what I can tell, your enjoyment of old games is based on comparisons to more modern versions? If yes then that's all you had to say dude! :pac:

I'm just trying to figure out why I don't like the game. I could compare Manic Miner to Super Mario World and say it's crap because it doesn't live up to SMW but I'm not going to do that. I won't because I still think Manic Miner is heaps of fun and relevent. Goldeneye just doesn't feel relevent and it still stands that I have played it recently and I just didn't enjoy it and didn't think it was any good. It's not even like me not liking KotoR, I can see that's because of my own personal preference. Goldeneye was just a poor FPS to me. That for me is a definition of a bad game.

I feel a lot of the love for goldeneye is nostalgia based and nostalgia doesn't make a good game. Any professional games critic that is actually any good is of the same opinion on goldeneye as well, Games TM, Edge and even Retrogamer have said as much. They don't deny they had lots of fun with the game but it's just not the game they remember.

Anyway there's only one test for this. Go play Goldeneye yourself on the original hardware. Don't just play the first 2 levels which are actually very well designed. Play a good chunk of the game. Look at the game objectively and not with an attitude of 'retr0gamer is an arrogant prick, I'm going to prove him wrong' or with nostalgia. thencome back and tell me if it truly, honestly is one of the best FPS games ever made up, that you really enjoyed it and if you loved it so much you are going to finish it.

I'm actually playing through a bit of Perfect Dark at the moment on the N64. While it's not a great game it's a far superior game to goldeney since it takes some of the changes that Half-Life brought to FPS gaming and introduces them to the goldeneye framework. It hasn't aged nearly as badly as goldeneye in gameplay terms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I like Goldeneye.
    Its really fun.
    I like to shoot hats off of soldiers while they are in the toilets.
    Got me arrested when I tried it in Gormonstown though.
    Another example of real life and videogames not matching up.

Next Time: Bayonetta and real girls, debate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I worry for the general public when you get your hands on that 3DS and the games become even more real for you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Who remembers this,deadly moves,guilty pleasure like pit fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I had the fortune to get perfect dark and goldeneye on the same day (having only played the odd mp game of either beforehand) when i borrowed a friends n64 for a few months - perfect dark got played for hours - amazing game, goldeneye was not on par

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I worry for the general public when you get your hands on that 3DS and the games become even more real for you! :pac:

When you stare into the screen, see a gamer, rendered in 3D, staring back, frowning, rolling his eyes up to the heavens and switching you off!

Sounds like a Twilight Zone episode...

"Picture a man playing a 3DS"
    "He thinks he is stepping into the next generation of gaming"
    "He is, in fact, stepping through a door, a door to a warp whistle, in The Twilight Zone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was unlucky enough to own this as a youngster. I never got any further than getting out of the water, killing the slugs, then getting killed by the monster thingy. Basicially, I was able to play a £40 game for about 2 minutes.

Just a bizarre, repetitive, and boring mess of a game. The theme tune alone is enough to drive a person insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DinoRex wrote: »
    See also Total Recall.

i have an almost new cartridge copy of that game BTW. the plastic is still on the box, looks like it was played once and never again

actually that was terminator 2 sorry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was unlucky enough to own this as a youngster. I never got any further than getting out of the water, killing the slugs, then getting killed by the monster thingy. Basicially, I was able to play a £40 game for about 2 minutes.

Wow gotta disagree with the above appearing in this thread. :)

Was the Snes version a terrible port of Another World or something? I've only played the Amiga version but it was a great game I thought. The atmosphere was great, you really got a sense you were in an alien landscape. Pretty easy to get past the first few sections with a bit of trial and error too.

Regarding games that fit the thread title, I remember Red Heat on the C64 being a pile of crap. Tiny game screen meaning you could only see characters from the waist up (not that I was particularly looking forward to seeing them below the waist considering the lack of clothing on them :pac:). The game was crap hard too I recall. Couldn't find any youtube clips but some pics here.

I think we are getting confused between recognising an awful game and.when we are just plain awful at a game.
    There is.simply no way on.this earth to peg Another World as an awful game, it is unforgiving, sure but once.you know what it needs at each action moment Tue whole thong moves along nicely, looks great too. The opening movie is brilliant.
    Perhaps we would not.be quite as kind if it was released today but remember this was out nearly 15 years ago.
    Flashback is clearly superior but it is undeniable that Another World is a classic and the problem here is that you didn't understand the gameplay and became frustrated with it.
    Play it again and this time have a look on Gamefaqs for a guide, see then if you have more fun, use an emulator to have a go.

I have actually played the game since, with the help of a gamefaqs guide. But, back in the day when I was 12-13, there was no such thing as the internet, so if you got stuck on a game, you were pretty much goosed. I know the developer wanted a cinematic atmosphere and all, but they really could have eased the person into the game a little more! Also, £40 was a huge amount of money in those days for a kid! My friends laughed a lot at me for buying Another World :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Judging from the clip the sound seems to be the only awful thing from the SNES version.

I posted this up the other day, but not sure if anyone watched it:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014630/Classic-Game-Postmortem-OUT-OF

Eric Chahi talks all about the production of the game. It's really interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The SNES version of another world is decent but nintendo cut a lot of content out of it. My advise is to get the new anniversary edition from GoG. Finished it a while ago. While the game has aged (trial and error gameplay just doesn't feel right anymore) it's still a fantastic experience and a real 'games as art' game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah. Had to censor out the butt cracks of the naked alien chicks on the last level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Didn't know you could kick the snake eel things. Must have another go at this game.

You didn't know you could kick the eel things?
    You mean, you managed the swimming away from the monster in the lake, and then died from the eel/leeck thingys.
    Hmm....
    Don't think you're going to much like the black dog/lion thingy much either.

Nor the jump for the rope.

But, to save further embarrassment, you rock the cage, ok, ROCK THE CAGE!

One section of Another World really annoyed me. It's the bit where you have to shoot the wall and let the water out and race away. You can continue on for ages but you eventually get to a bit where you can't go any further and it checkpoints you about 15-20 minutes back. Was really annoying because the game is usually really good with checkpoints. I looked up a faq and found that before I break the wall I had to fall down a hole to another section that needs to be done first and if you do that then the game will continue checkpointing. I suppose it was good in a way that it didn't checkpoint you into an unwinnable situation but the hole you had to fall down looked like any other hole, in other words a death trap, and was so easy to miss. It's a weird game, playing like a point an click mixed with platformer. I suppose this gameplay and non signposted gameplay was included to increase the length of the game because if you know what you are doing the game lasts about an hour at most. I still think it's great though and the visuals haven't aged a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Advertisement