Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a basic phone, please.

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

I am due an upgrade on my Vodafone prepaid account.

What I want is a reliable phone, good-size buttons for texting as I'm a bit clumsy, and good battery life. Bells and whistles not very important, as I rarely use any added functions.

My current phone is a LG GB220 clamshell, and I would stick with it if it were reliable, but it's not, and it never was. I'm generally not hard on things, and rarely break stuff, but when I'm out, the phone goes in my jacket pocket with other things, so I don't want a screen that is unprotected and easily damaged: that's why I went for the clamshell model last time.

Price is not critical, but close to €0 would be nicer than close to €200.

Recommendations would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

ZET Blade, as detailed in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086197

Costs about £100, and is as good as top of the range android phones. Not sure if that phone has hardened glass tho, I don't own one. All the top range phones (iphone, desire, galaxy and probably others) have hardened glass, they won't scratch. I don't bother with screen protector these days. Gel cases etc can protect against dropping damage, more important for phones with larger screens like desire hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Yes.
    What monthly tariff are you on?

Light.
    Also what form do you want? Touchscreen, QWERTY, candybar, etc.

Not QWERTY: I'm not good with fiddly little keys.

I didn't know the term "candybar", which probably tells you why I am here to ask for advice (I googled, and know it now). Candybar is fine, or clamshell. I'm a bit suspicious of sliders, as they seem fragile and fiddly.

[It might help you get a picture of the sort of person you are advising if I tell you I am retired and drive a Renault Mégane!]

These are some very basic phones with no frills ...

Thanks. I have been looking at them, and none looks unsuitable.

The decision will probably revolve around the ease of use of the keypad for somebody who is a bit clumsy. That inclines me against the Samsung, where they seem to have bit visual appeal ahead of functionality.

My eyes tell me that the Nokia 6303i might suit me best, because there is some separation between the keys.

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Thanks. I have been looking at them, and none looks unsuitable.

The decision will probably revolve around the ease of use of the keypad for somebody who is a bit clumsy. That inclines me against the Samsung, where they seem to have bit visual appeal ahead of functionality.

My eyes tell me that the Nokia 6303i might suit me best, because there is some separation between the keys.

What do you think?

I think the 6303i looks very nice. It's the least boring looking and it does have the best buttons. I've never owned one myself, but it got excellent reviews on that vodafone site. It also has a camera, which is a nice thing to have.
    I'd say it would be a good phone, that's easy to use. :)

So I'm a suitable candidate for a granny phone!

6303i now ordered. The Vodafone website is slow and clunky; it declined to process the order, so I spent 15 minutes on the phone doing what should have been possible in one minute at the keyboard.

Thanks for the advice, people.

I got the phone on Tuesday, and Vodafone decided that I deserved a new Sim. The extra steps involved, plus the fact that my existing phone didn't do its thing of switching off at random intervals, meant that I didn't commission the new one until this evening.

First impressions are that it does just what I wanted: telephony and texting. The keys are a little smaller than I envisaged, but the fact that they are separated from one another compensates somewhat. Sound quality (at my end) is good. There are some pretty horrible ringtones, but that's the way with just about all phones. The radio works, but I'm not going to use it. I probably won't use the camera, as I keep a proper one in the car, so I haven't bothered to check it out.

The GPS option is weird: it can be used with a GPS receiver via Bluetooth; I think I'll just stick with my Garmin.

Thanks again, people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 susan509715

hi im new to this site and not sure how to post my question// i have a samsung s3550 shark 3 and dont know how to set up email can you help or know anyone who can xx:)

Advertisement