Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photowalk in Cork.

• 04-02-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

For those Boardsies that don't live in Dublin, would anyone be interested in a photowalk in Cork?

I have nothing planned and, if I'm honest, no real ideas, but I thought I'd put it out there and see what sort of interest there would be, if any.

(Hopes and prays at least one person is interested!) :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'd be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

We boardsies are flexible and would even come down from Dublin for a walk...Will watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

how about a visit to Fota?

might be interesting.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'd be up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I'd be up for a Cork Photowalk, I venture down to cork most weekends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Sorry, I should have added that absolutely no suggestions to visit Fota will be entertained, whatsoever! If you want to get a 'Fota' group together and go off yourselves, then that's cool, but I won't be tagging along as Fota has been done to death at this stage. :(

I've been pondering on my photowalk suggestion today and I've (finally) come up with an idea, which is open to ridicule if you so wish. How about a one body, one 50mm lens only photowalk? Obviously if you don't own a nifty fifty, then you can use your zoom, but set at 50mm only - no zooming in and out! The walk will take place in and around Cork City centre on a date to be mutually etc...

Well, that's my idea - if you're still interested post your interest here and a date you'll be free and we'll get it arranged and just do it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Very interested in this. I'm only a small journey away in Limerick

Sounds good to me. Pretty much free whenever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah I'd be up for this, and I might be able to get two friends to come too depending on dates and times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

yup count me in for the walk..!! love the 50mm idea too..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'd be interested too. I'm from Cork but living in Galway.

I've also just started a thread to try to organise one for Limerick.

Here are my photos from a Cork/Montenotte, September 2009, orgainsed by Donncha O Caoimh.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

:eek:I'd like to go home for a photowalk too! Haven't been in Cork since I got my new camera..

Should we start playing around with dates? Seems like enough interest to get off the ground.

Should we start playing around with dates? Seems like enough interest to get off the ground.

"If you build it they will come".
    Propose a few dates, pick one, walk route and then publicise it (photowalk.ie etc).

For me I can't do weekends of:
    Feb 20th
    March 26th

I can't do that weekend Feb 20th either.

So I'll just put this out there to get us kicked off:

Friday February 25th or Saturday February 26th.

I can't do that weekend Feb 20th either.
    So I'll just put this out there to get us kicked off:
    Friday February 25th or Saturday February 26th.

Saturday would be better for people travelling and daytime light I'd imagine.
    I'm happy to go with Sat 26th anyway. That's 3 weekends away so should be enough time for people I think.

After that: what route? The last walk I was on went from montenotte hotel to The boardwalk Bar & Grill, Lapp's Quay. So we didn't really touch the city center itself. Which was interesting as you end up taking photos of stuff that you might otherwise just walk past.

Also: could be worth getting onto a hotel/bar and asking would they provide some free lunch/finger food. Could propose to them to offer a prize for best picture of their establishment and they could always use the winning photo if they wanted. Just a thought.

Weekdays not great for me due to work, but Sat 26th is good.

I guess we need to think about start/finish points, route, and where/how to share photos... It'd be cool if we could have a projector or something at the finish point to slideshow the photos taken..and perhaps a theme, or a few themes?

Could have an am walk, break for lunch and then a pm 2nd leg for those who wanted to take more pictures or for those who can't make am.

Just one vague proposal:
    Meet at Maldron Hotel Cork (near Shandon). Ask them for special rate for anyone who wants to stay the night. And ask if they want a competition for best picture of their hotel. And free tea, coffee for us.

Walk past Shandon Bells and down Shandon Street (the street has some 'character' and 'characters' and Shandon Bells. Could even climb the Shandon Bells (probably take too much time) and get a good view of the city.

Along Pope's Quay and cross over by The Opera House. There might be a market there or the 'young ones' skating'
    (after that I'm not sure, just winging it...)

From there either down Paul Street or other towards Bishop Lucy Park.
    Have lunch somewhere and then onto somewhere else?
    Through the English Market...

OR something totally differnt?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Just to clarify: You're talking of 26th February not March, right - as both are Saturdays?

(Would be in for 26.03 - am out for 26.02)

• Advertisement

OK guys, I suppose I'd better put my tuppence worth in.

Saturday 26th February sounds perfect, so we'll set that as the date, if there's no objections.

As for start/finish/route, I was thinking more along the lines of starting at the railway station, going up the big hill to St. Lukes, down Summerhill North, along McCurtain Street, down Coburg Street. Left at the end of Coburg Street, across the Opera House bridge, turn right and then left into North Main Street. Across Washington Street onto South Main Street and into Tribes Café for lunch.

Out of Tribes, turn left past the old Beamish Brewery, then left along the river. That's where I run out of ideas... :(

Sat, 26th Feb it is so.
    I'm happy with any route.
    Does someone want to sort out starting time etc and then contact photowalk.ie for them to add it as a walk?

There was a sketchcrawl recently done by a group and this might give ye some ideas - this was their route..

Link

Cork_girl wrote: »
    There was a sketchcrawl recently done by a group and this might give ye some ideas - this was their route..

Link

Thanks for that, Cork_girl, it looks good, apart from locations 1,2 and 3 lol. :( I wouldn't be up for that kind of walk, if I'm honest - don't do museums, galleries, parks, flowers etc...

After saying that, if people want to do that route, feel free! :D

colblimp wrote: »
    OK guys, I suppose I'd better put my tuppence worth in.

Saturday 26th February sounds perfect, so we'll set that as the date, if there's no objections.

As for start/finish/route, I was thinking more along the lines of starting at the railway station, going up the big hill to St. Lukes, down Summerhill North, along McCurtain Street, down Coburg Street. Left at the end of Coburg Street, across the Opera House bridge, turn right and then left into North Main Street. Across Washington Street onto South Main Street and into Tribes Café for lunch.

Out of Tribes, turn left past the old Beamish Brewery, then left along the river. That's where I run out of ideas... :(

Hi,
    Seeing as this walk is Colblimp's idea I think he/she should be the one to propose the route and people can comment if they like it and propose additional places of interest.

As we're down by Tribes why not go through Bishop Lucy Park and down the 'alleyway' where Triskel Arts Center is.
    @Colblimp: are you happy to contact Photowalk.ie once a route is decided?

Cheers & looking forward to a weekend in Cork already,
    Pa.

26th would be cool for me, don't mind about the route really...

Yep no worries it was just to give ideas!!

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Seeing as this walk is Colblimp's idea I think he/she should be the one to propose the route and people can comment if they like it and propose additional places of interest.

As we're down by Tribes why not go through Bishop Lucy Park and down the 'alleyway' where Triskel Arts Center is.
    @Colblimp: are you happy to contact Photowalk.ie once a route is decided?

Cheers & looking forward to a weekend in Cork already,
    Pa.

Hey Pa, thanks for that.

It may well have been Colblimps idea, but Colblimp doesn't mind if someone else takes charge as he has never done this before, so it's all new to me... :(

As for start time, I reckon the earlier the better, so say 10:00? If that's too early, that's fine, I'm really only kind of thinking out loud. :)

I'm can't male it that weekend unfortunately, something has come up.
    Enjoy it anyway.
    I'll try to make the next one, whenever that will be.

• Advertisement

10am is good - but I will probably head in earlier myself - say around 0830. I like the feel of a town as it wakes up - shutters rising, deliveries being made, not much traffic, etc.

I'm afraid I can't make it either :-( hopefully there will be another one

Everyone still interested in going ahead on Saturday?

Everyone still interested in going ahead on Saturday?

Oh absolutely - it would take a national emergency to keep me away! :D

Any decision on where we're meeting?

Buceph wrote: »
    Any decision on where we're meeting?

Not really. I did suggest the railway station but I've had no feedback on that. Anyway, I'm up for other suggestions.

• Advertisement

I am interested, but will have to leave around noon I expect, due to a family commitment that has come up. If that is too early, I may have to bow out until next time, unfortunately....
    I am happy to meet up/go anywhere.

Are we still talking about a 50mm walk?

ColBlimp, I await your leadership & direction :)

-FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    I am interested, but will have to leave around noon I expect, due to a family commitment that has come up. If that is too early, I may have to bow out until next time, unfortunately....
    I am happy to meet up/go anywhere.

Are we still talking about a 50mm walk?

ColBlimp, I await your leadership & direction :)

-FoxT

Ah now, who made me the leader?!! :eek: You can leave at any time you want, it's not a Marines selection day lol! As for the 50mm walk, it's entirely up to you, you can use more lenses if you want, but I'll just be using a 50mm - just for something different.

There's absolutely nothing stopping us organising another walk, whenever suits - I'm up for anything, anytime, anywhere! ;)

I guess all we really need is a time and location? I'd be happy to go along with the train station suggestion. For a time, how about 10:00? Too early/late?

I guess all we really need is a time and location? I'd be happy to go along with the train station suggestion. For a time, how about 10:00? Too early/late?

10:00 was my original suggestion, but I did notice that FoxT did suggest 08:30 to get the whole delivery thing going on. I'd say 08:30 at the English Market would be the way to go as the market is really busy at that time in the morning. :D

How about 0830h at the market for the early risers, with a view to meeting the travellers/sleepy pilgrims at the train station at say 1030?

My plans have changed again....am good now till 3:30pm :)

• Advertisement

I'd be game for 8.30. We could meet at the fountain on Grand Parade or something?

Sounds good. I'll pm you the secret handshake...:)

I wouldn't be able to make it for 8.30. Probably could for 10 though.

Might be a little early for me! Could maybe catch up with you around 10.30 or so...

I think we have the nucleus of a plan, to be confirmed by our Leader, ColBlimp ('Cos its his idea, and he is a Colonel after all)

MEET 1: 0830h, fountain in Grand Parade
    -FoxT, ColBlimp, Necro

Grand parade/english market/olicver plunkett st & side streets/Pana etc.

MEET 2: 1030h, Railway Station,
    - Buceph, 11811 join up,
    Then Colblimps route, repro'd below:

I was thinking more along the lines of starting at the railway station, going up the big hill to St. Lukes, down Summerhill North, along McCurtain Street, down Coburg Street. Left at the end of Coburg Street, across the Opera House bridge, turn right and then left into North Main Street. Across Washington Street onto South Main Street and into Tribes Café for lunch.

Out of Tribes, turn left past the old Beamish Brewery, then left along the river.
    Not sure what the story is with Swingking & serjical strike? I have PM'ed them..

-FoxT

Sounds good to me.

I'd love to be there for the English Market part, but I can't make it that early and I wouldn't have a fast enough lens for it anyway.

But aye. 10.30 at the Railway Station is grand for me.

I'm still in too. I've recruited a friend as well.
    I have yet to figure out if what time I can make it for, though. I should know by tomorrow morning.

I think I've recruited a friend, but I'm not so sure he'll be up for 8.30, I must confirm with him.

OK guys, first of all I may be the Colonel, but by no means am I the leader! :p

My plans have changed somewhat - I'll meet you all at the Grand Parade at 08:30 and do the English Market, but then I'm going to rush over to the City Hall to record the count. It's just too good an opportunity to miss. I'd love it if I was accompanied by other Boardsies, but if it's not your thing then I'll understand. I'll then meet everyone later on at the railway station at 10:30.

8.30 for me. City hall sounds like a good idea, however I'm not sure if it's too easy to get into these count centres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement