Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advertiser Letters Page

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

anyone read the letter about Ahern and his suicide comments in the Advertiser letters page yesterday. It was excellent. hope he gets to read it himself

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

anyone read the letter about Ahern and his suicide comments in the Advertiser letters page yesterday. It was excellent. hope he gets to read it himself

Meh...he apologised for the remarks after the incident as it was. I get how to someone who has been affected by suicide that they would have liked him to say that over the stadium but he had already said he was sorry for saying it.

At the time when it happened I thought it was very inappropriate and at the same time many people I know were getting very bent out of shape over it being made into too big of a thing and that it was just him emphasizing his disagreement with the profits of doom at the time. If I remember correctly in the context it was regarding people writing the country off when what we needed was people to start investing and spending with confidence.

I have somebody in my life who has been directly affected by suicide and it wasn't until I had them in my life that I realized the amount of flippant remarks about suicide are rampant. You can't watch a comedy show without someone miming killing themselves as a reaction to something or making a comment about putting a gun in their mouth etc.

There's also lots of movies and TV shows which actually show people hanging. Not to say he can be totally forgiven as in his position he should have a lot more sense but it's not just him making these types of comments. It's almost just part of every day life.

Personally, I don't care about it so much..I think the world is too PC as it is. Particularly in art and entertainment, these things should be allowed to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

hmmmm......nah, don't buy your answer.

first of all he said it when people were trying to warn him about the country not being able to continue and we were heading for a downfall.

second, he was the leader of the country and to come out and say that just shows what a fraud he is

thirdly, you only had to see him last week, on TV and his comments about "people wanting to be on the TV" when the woman confronted to show what an arrogant turd he really is.

I only hope he never gets a minute's sleep over that suicide remark. But the likes of him don't give a monkey's about that.

hmmmm......nah, don't buy your answer.

first of all he said it when people were trying to warn him about the country not being able to continue and we were heading for a downfall.

second, he was the leader of the country and to come out and say that just shows what a fraud he is

thirdly, you only had to see him last week, on TV and his comments about "people wanting to be on the TV" when the woman confronted to show what an arrogant turd he really is.

I only hope he never gets a minute's sleep over that suicide remark. But the likes of him don't give a monkey's about that.

ha ha it's not to be bought it's my opinion. Also he was right about people wanting to get on TV because that woman is running for office herself..It wasn't just some random woman walking by...She is a politician who was trying to get her face on TV to publicize her campaign. She's not much better than Bertie himself.

Don't think it showed him to be a fraud, just how ignorant he is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I didn't know that lady was a politician, I thought she was just a protester. Sorry abut that.

But it still doesn't take away from what he said, shows exactly what he thinks of the general public.

I didn't know that lady was a politician, I thought she was just a protester. Sorry abut that.

But it still doesn't take away from what he said, shows exactly what he thinks of the general public.

That's a bit overboard too. I don't think it shows what he thinks of the general public. Obama made a dumb remark when he got into office comparing his bowling skills to someone in the special olympics. It's an ignorant thing to say but it's due to an undertone in society. If comedians or comedy shows are taking shots at these sort of things it can creep into what people think is appropriate for dramatic or comedic statements.

I never liked Bertie Ahern for the record. I'm not trying to defend him as a person but I don't think that foolish remark should be what tarnishes his time in Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I thought it was harsher than just a regular flippant comment, but you're right, it has crept in more than it should. Still, he has (had) a way higher level of media responsiblity than the average man on the street. He probably didn't reapologise as it would remind people or inform those who missed the dumb comment first time around. Not impressed, but sure he doesn't impress many these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Wompa1 wrote: »
    At the time when it happened I thought it was very inappropriate and at the same time many people I know were getting very bent out of shape over it being made into too big of a thing and that it was just him emphasizing his disagreement with the profits of doom at the time. If I remember correctly in the context it was regarding people writing the country off when what we needed was people to start investing and spending with confidence.

Oops, should be prophet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Bertie Ahern is not sorry for what he said. If he was sorry he would have taken the advice on board and cooled down the overheating of the economy. The only thing he is sorry about is that people know that he is a down and out utter maggot.

I had a terrible nightmare last night that he was very old and i was his carer.
    Dreamt another night that Heinz beans changed the image of its cans by slapping a picture of brian cowen onto all the cans of beans. Off topic I know but wanted to share.

Advertisement