Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

243 What distance?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Can anyone tell me which bullet is the best to use for a 243? Is it the Remington 75 GR Accutip-v Boat Tail or is it the Hornady 58 GR V-Max Moly for shooting long distances at foxes?

What is the best range a 243 will carry out to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's been used for target shooting out beyond 1000 yards. Live targets are different though. How far do you intend to shoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mad sca

I intend to shoot between 100 and 500 yards? What do you think the best bullet would be to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Only a few I can think of being suitable. You need to use a light enough bullet to open fast, even at reduced velocities at that sort of range, so wouldn't go above any of those designed for small game, so say stick below 80gr. Maybe the 70gr Nosler ballistic tip from Federal would be good. It'll be more useful in wind than the 55-60gr stuff, carry more energy and should still open up alright. Personally I think it's a terribly long shot on an animal as small as a fox, and wouldn't take it myself I don't think. Even 400 yards is a very long way indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

A friend of mine- who is a fantastic shot and has taken over 1000 foxes over the years has pushed is 243 Blazer out to 350 on foxes.

He says its Very rare though, 2 or 3 times and conditions have to be absolutely perfect. He has a great rifle/scope and re-loads.
    I would say you would have bother pushing out as far or further than this in a real life hunting situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i have a kill at 400 with my .223 so a .243 would be more than capable.
    i would use something like the 80gr from hornady or similar and use them for fox and necking hind's and calves.

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-80-gr.-GMX-Superformance/

i am strongly thinking about getting a 243 as a duel purpose rifle for that reason

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i have a kill at 400 with my .223 so a .243 would be more than capable.
    i would use something like the 80gr from hornady or similar and use them for fox and necking hind's and calves.

http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-80-gr.-GMX-Superformance/

i am strongly thinking about getting a 243 as a duel purpose rifle for that reason

What was the kill Paulo?
    I doubt Very much if I could stretch myself to 400 yards under the lamp... Possibly during the day in fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

thumbs up glensman getting his first fallow with me yesterday,he had a smile on him like a cheshire cat,pity you couldnt have picked a better day weather wise though:D

Glensman wrote: »
    What was the kill Paulo?
    I doubt Very much if I could stretch myself to 400 yards under the lamp... Possibly during the day in fine weather.

it was a fox. it was a lovely still night and i had spent the day practicing on targets so i was confident in the rifle and conditions were right.
    i was with gentlemanjim so he can confirm the shot for me.

it was a nothing ventured nothing gained type of shot.
    the fax was already lamp shy so there was nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

jes, 200 at night is a long way not to mention 400. That's serious shooting at night:cool:

kay 9 wrote: »
    jes, 200 at night is a long way not to mention 400. That's serious shooting at night:cool:

yes it was, i cant say i would be able to repeat it but it did happen.

i have shot plenty of fox at 200-250. even a couple at 300. but i missed a gift at around 50 the other night. but i did shoot 2 of his buddies to make up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Yeah about 2-250 is most i'd attempt a shot at night anyway. Trying to imagine that 400 shot now though:D Must have been a good buzz after. Did it bowl him over instantly or did he run a bit mate?

thumbs up glensman getting his first fallow with me yesterday,he had a smile on him like a cheshire cat,pity you couldnt have picked a better day weather wise though:D

Thanks for having me hunter! Had a great time- all my friends are jealous as hell! :D
    it was a fox. it was a lovely still night and i had spent the day practicing on targets so i was confident in the rifle and conditions were right.
    i was with gentlemanjim so he can confirm the shot for me.

it was a nothing ventured nothing gained type of shot.
    the fax was already lamp shy so there was nothing to lose

I wouldn't doubt you for a second Paulo! It's a serious shot, hats off to you- I would need more time at the targets before I would stretch the .270's legs out that kind of distance.
    I'm going to put in the time during the summer to see what I can do :)

kay 9 wrote: »
    Yeah about 2-250 is most i'd attempt a shot at night anyway. Trying to imagine that 400 shot now though:D Must have been a good buzz after. Did it bowl him over instantly or did he run a bit mate?

to be honest. i pulled the trigger and i didnt hear the report for about a second where as normally its bang.. thump. that shot was bang .....................thump.

i started walking towards it and after 300 paces i thought i had missed it but i kept going anyway until i found it, i couldnt believe it my self. i was aiming just above its head and the bullet hit in the middle of the neck and it fell over there where it sat.

this is the fox
    huntingpics001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

:eek: Great shot bud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mad sca

Hi all thanks for the replies and nice shot poulo6.5 well done!

:eek: Great shot bud ;)

Cheers mate I have you to blame for that. I would never have had the balls to take a shot like that without your tution.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Very good shot paulo6.5 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Cheers mate I have you to blame for that. I would never have had the balls to take a shot like that without your tution.

Myself yerself and ShanMoll shall have to do a bit of varminting over the summer, I have the bunnies!

It's amazing if you stop shooting long range/shotgun/snap etc, how you can get rusty.

Equally it shows breaking clays or Target shooting really sharpens a shooter up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

mad sca wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me which bullet is the best to use for a 243? Is it the Remington 75 GR Accutip-v Boat Tail or is it the Hornady 58 GR V-Max Moly for shooting long distances at foxes?

What is the best range a 243 will carry out to?

Mad Sca,
    You can get some great general info from the boards, however, only you can figure out the best ammo for your gun.

Search threads here and abroad to see if you can get pointed in the general direction. For example, owners of your rifle may be swearing by (or at) a particular brand, let's say Hornaday.

Buy a couple of boxes of Hornaday in different masses and let the lead fly.

See which mass holds groups best and note the distances.

That's really the only way to tell.

Advertisement