Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 - Coming this autumn

Options
  • 04-02-2011 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭

Teaser trailer released and release window of Autumn 2011 announced.

Looking forward to it.
    EA has launched the official website for Battlefield 3, revealing a Fall 2011 launch window for the DICE-developed warfare fest. The game utilizes the Frostbite 2 engine, which delivers "earth-shattering destruction" and compels official product descriptions to insert phrases like "real as hell combat gameplay" and "dramatic immersive First Person Shooter experience."

To catch an early glimpse of those dramatic immersive things, you'll have to watch the game's all-too-brief teaser after the break. (Does anyone else hear a garbled Terminator theme in there?)

Update: The Battlefield Blog has updated with a few more details. In addition to the "signature multiplayer," Battlefield 3 offers both single-player and co-op campaigns, a prone stance, 64-player multiplayer in the PC version and -- as seen in the trailer -- wonderful, shrieking jets.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/battlefield-3-targeting-fall-2011-teaser-trailer-out-now/#comments

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sweet. If it can be as good as Battlefield 2, with Bad Company 2's terrain destruction, i'll be a very happy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Battlefield 3 offers both single-player and co-op campaigns, a prone stance, 64-player multiplayer in the PC version and -- as seen in the trailer -- wonderful, shrieking jets

My, what an age of technology we live in :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Trailer gave away nothing, at least its out this Fall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

By "Fall" you mean Autumn, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

By "Fall" you mean Autumn, right?

Im going to go with Q4 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well if the Trailer is showing any in-game graphics the player animations look fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I hate trailers that show very little. Still looking forward to this though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, it's a teaser, not a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Kiith wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a teaser, not a trailer.

The jet was enough of a tease for me! Though I'm crap at flying helis and planes in Battlefield so not sure why I'm excited for jets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cant watch it in work but does the video have DEN DEN DEN DEN?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dreamers75 wrote: »

Not exactly, but it sounds like the low key music is hinting at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Prone????? Tis a great day for camping snipers like myself!!

Prone????? Tis a great day for camping snipers like myself!!

Just means I have to look down when I stab a sniper, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Spear wrote: »
    Just means I have to look down when I stab a sniper, that's all.
    or up, prone in a tree ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Please be a proper PC shooter and not dumbed down due to being on consoles too, PLEAAAAASEEEEEEE.

The teaser gives away a few things. We know its modern warfare or at least the 90's or 80's anyway.

Someone was telling me they might make it ww2 , guess thats not the case.

That looks like a russian su 27 that takes out an american Huey.

But a number of countries could be using that plane, and its not like americans wouldnt be in the game :rolleyes:

They seem to be hinting on heavy urban built up city maps as well.

why are they even bothering with single player. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Best bit of the trailer is the hint at the music.

Also, I can't believe the amount of people online giving out that the trailer didn't show much. It's a TEASER. You're lucky you're getting more than just the title on the screen.

Sisko wrote: »
    why are they even bothering with single player. :rolleyes:
    $$++ Lots of people buy the CoD / other FPS for the single player alone. I'll play it coop I think, wont bother playing it on my own.

• Advertisement

If theres coop there I'll give it a shot. But I buy a BF game for team versus team conquest with vehicles. In other words multiplayer.

Which is what BF is about imo. This single player crap stinks of consolities to me and thus has me worried. Tis also less time spent on the MP.

Don't really see why they bother isnt that what the COD's and MOH's are for?

Damn I feel like the opposite of one of those anti multiplayer people who go crazy at the idea of coop added to the likes of the new elder scrolls game skyrim or mass effect 3 cept I have a valid point.

If theres coop there I'll give it a shot. But I buy a BF game for team versus team conquest with vehicles. In other words multiplayer.

Which is what BF is about imo. This single player crap stinks of consolities to me and thus has me worried. Tis also less time spent on the MP.

Don't really see why they bother isnt that what the COD's and MOH's are for?

Damn I feel like the opposite of one of those anti multiplayer people who go crazy at the idea of coop added to the likes of the new elder scrolls game skyrim or mass effect 3 cept I have a valid point.
    You're right, BF is about the MP. But it's just all about money. Even if there's loads of games that are better for SP people will still buy BF just because there's SP. Afaik COOP will be in it. I don't really care if it has SP or not as long as it doesn't take anything away from the MP.

Indeed, I suppose thinking about it, you can't not take something away when adding an entire singleplayer campaign to a multiplayer game. Its not the same as adding coop to a single player game.

However , one can hope that likely they only took away an earlier release date. Meaning if they never added the single player bloatware we'd all probably be playing it right now.

Still I can picture this being released with less then usual maps and instead they'll add more maps later through DLC.

But back to the positives though, the map ideas do seem interesting, I was right about the big city maps, New York, Paris , Tehran, this should be interesting if done right.

BF2 had the USMC versus China v the Middle Eastern coalition. I wonder are they just going to continue on with that. But now add russia in it or something.

Paris makes me wonder if the EU forces will be in it, having America in it constantly gets really really old.

They never had any MEC versus China maps annoyingly enough in BF2.

I have faith in Dice :eek:

Only way a PC game can be PC only is we get constant paid DLC, as most games have a lifespan of about 3 months unless Call of Duty is in the title.

No point in supporting a PC title if you got paid for the day it was released.

Well BC:2 didn't have paid for DLC, so even it's maps are late hopefully we wont have to pay for them.

Also, they could "strategically" hold back maps and then release them later to reinvigorate the game when the player base starts to drop off.

I was an original BF1942 fan. Those were the fuckin days let me tell yea.

New maps were given for free along with patches. The mods were brilliant and the best ones were always populated.

Eventually the Desert Combat mod which ended up being all I played, got nearly as popular as BF1942 itself and became at the time, second only to counter strike.

Then EA bought DICE, BF2 came out and all of that went to hell.

They fed the fans BS about the guys behind desert combat were working on BF2, this turned out to be false.

They stopped adding free maps with patches and held off to instead charge people for map packs. They killed the modding community by adding ranked servers and stats for official servers only. Thus manipulating the idiotc hordes who care more about fake digital medals then game play to stay away from any of the mods. Thus no matter the quality of the mod, there was very few people playing it, not enough to give decent populated servers.

And BF2 itself gameplay wise was a step backwards from DC in a lot of ways.

But DC was too old and the sad thing in the end was BF2 was still better then anything else, and hell nothings come out to take that crown yet as apart from 2142 everything since has been even more dumbed down console crap.

I'm a big fan of ArmA etc but sometimes I do feel like I'm in the mood for a more fast paced arcadey shooter and I love conquest. So with all that said I've been looking forward to BF3 for awhile. But my faith in DICE was lost long ago.

**edit**

and btw good multiplayer PC games work differently to consoles. BF1942 had people playing for 4 years , I imagine there's still people playing BF2, I gave it a good 3 years largely due to being in a clan and largely due to trying out and giving time to every mod I could.

When I buy a bf game, that becomes my main multiplayer FPS and I tend to get a couple years out of it or at least that used to be the case.

As far as I know TF2 is the most popular PC shooter atm, how old is that? 2007?

Jim wrote: »
    Well BC:2 didn't have paid for DLC, so even it's maps are late hopefully we wont have to pay for them.

SpecTact, Onslaught and Vietnam were all DLC for BC2.

Spear wrote: »
    SpecTact, Onslaught and Vietnam were all DLC for BC2.
    Yea, sorry. I meant maps.

Jim wrote: »
    Yea, sorry. I meant maps.

Users who bought second hand had to pay €10 for a "VIP" code to get them though, another of EA gouging tactics. Nothings ever truly free these days.

• Advertisement

**edit**

and btw good multiplayer PC games work differently to consoles. BF1942 had people playing for 4 years , I imagine there's still people playing BF2, I gave it a good 3 years largely due to being in a clan and largely due to trying out and giving time to every mod I could.

When I buy a bf game, that becomes my main multiplayer FPS and I tend to get a couple years out of it or at least that used to be the case.

As far as I know TF2 is the most popular PC shooter atm, how old is that? 2007?

What EA need to do is devise a proper plan of support for 3 to 5 years afterwards. They need a schedule of free, new content, just one or two maps every two to three months. Maybe a major engine revision after 2 years to freshen things up. For many players they're not buying a game, but making an investment. EA needs to recognise this, and that it applies to them too. Supporting it properly means they keep selling copies and maintaining a market for expansions and DLC. But, inevitably, they won't do this.

Advertisement