Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 3 - Coming this autumn

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The first expansion is 4 maps from BF2, including Karkand, and it's the pre-order bonus:

container_bgr_EN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

They need better support for the modding community and encourage mods rather then kill them off. The battlefield format and conquest mode lends itself greatly to mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Sisko wrote: »
    They need better support for the modding community and encourage mods rather then kill them off. The battlefield format and conquest mode lends itself greatly to mods.

+1 to this its what i loved about the older battlefield games unfortunately i can't see it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wont happen, games have a lifespan theres no money in supporting a PC game. So they wont we have to buy the DLC to keep it alive.

One can still dream though.....

.......That valve will make a large scale conquest based military shooter :D

I disagree about having to buy the DLC to keep it alive btw. Am I the only one that played these games back before the consoles got proper online? BF3 might have a 3 week shelf life for console gamers. But if the PC version is anywhere near as good as BF2 or 1942 it'll have a large PC player base for a couple of years.

I also know many people that bought the BF games just for the mods (mainly 42). I say **** all this holding back content just to release later to make more money, it disgusts me how things have gone. It wouldnt be so bad if they weren't dumbing down the gameplay with every new release also. If theres regen health, infinite ammo and really basic class systems in this like there was in 1943 I'll be pissed.

I understand if the console version is like that but have it the classic way on PC ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Paddez

Game Informer has an exclusive BF3 Preview in the latest issue, full res scans of the preview are here.

I was excited before, but now I can't wait. PC being the lead version is great, not just a console port.
    4 class roles return. They also want to change the squad system, which I hope doesn't mean a huge change from BC2. I think it worked extremely well.

Only downside I can see is the lack of Mod Support. I guess they want to keep the exclusive rights to DLC.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wont happen, games have a lifespan theres no money in supporting a PC game. So they wont we have to buy the DLC to keep it alive.

Dammit :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-08-no-mod-tools-for-battlefield-3-for-launch

**** sake, damn you EA. Killing creativity in PC gaming since 2005

**** sake, damn you EA. Killing creativity in PC gaming since 2005

meh play more Arma, evo on Fallujah, mududududud on takistan, domination 4 coming out.

played plenty of arma great games, love them in fact but they are totally different kinda games. The quote you quoted of yourself implies its because its the PC and not EA that modding wont happen and DLC is the only thing that'll keep it alive.

Which I found odd coming from a fellow arma player. So I assume you didnt mean it that way.

I'm just pissed cause I ranked Desert Combat as my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time. And there was so many other fantastic 1942 mods, I'm sad I wont get to see the equivalent from BF3.

• Advertisement

played plenty of arma great games, love them in fact but they are totally different kinda games. The quote you quoted of yourself implies its because its the PC and not EA that modding wont happen and DLC is the only thing that'll keep it alive.

Which I found odd coming from a fellow arma player. So I assume you didnt mean it that way.

I'm just pissed cause I ranked Desert Combat as my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time. And there was so many other fantastic 1942 mods, I'm sad I wont get to see the equivalent from BF3.

Not so Bohemia games thrive on mods it how it works for them, the game is the initial sell then as they realised if good DLC is worth paying for people will buy it(atlho PMC was a bit ****). Personally i think BI are a bit clueless about pc gaming atm. Arma 2 rapes the **** out of every other FPS ever but its not "pick up and play" it punishes failure and people dont like that.

EA on the other hand release a game in august and expect 2 million sales by december, if they get that they will release DLC to keep players playing until next August. When part 2 comes out, actvision sorta beat them on that front.

Dice i actually believe intend on releasing PC Battlefield 3 and their version of it, BC2 crackin PC sales prolly justified to EA to let DICE do whatever they wanted with their BF franchise.

Well i hope anyway.

/crosses fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Cant watch it in work but does the video have DEN DEN DEN DEN?

You forgot a DEN :p

Not so Bohemia games thrive on mods it how it works for them, the game is the initial sell then as they realised if good DLC is worth paying for people will buy it(atlho PMC was a bit ****).

Whats not so? I know all this, the arma games are basically just platforms that thrive on community based content and modding. All arma players know and understand this.

You initially seemed to make the claim that PC games only have a short shelf life time and the only way to increase life time is to limit modding and increase DLC's instead. Which I couldnt see how you could say such a thing when your an arma player, a game which would have utterly failed if Bohemia went out of their way to limit modding.

I'm obviously misunderstanding you somewhere cause you can't possibly be saying this. lol. I'm just not sure what it is your trying to say. :o

Personally i think BI are a bit clueless about pc gaming atm. Arma 2 rapes the **** out of every other FPS ever but its not "pick up and play" it punishes failure and people dont like that.

The arma games are military sims , they're not there to compete with the COD's the BF's etc. Both types of games are very different experiences just like Ace combat and Lock on are. The pace is very different etc. Counter-Strike and Swat 4 would be another example.

So when you say it rapes them, it doesn't really apply. Different genre of games imo. Don't get me wrong though I love Arma and literally have no interest in any of those COD games or BFC's. Only BF3 has any interest from me.

Woulda been nice if there was solid conquest type team v team gameplay in arma though I think BI failed there alright. TVT is pretty weak in arma. :(

redface.gif

EA on the other hand release a game in august and expect 2 million sales by december, if they get that they will release DLC to keep players playing until next August. When part 2 comes out, actvision sorta beat them on that front.

Dice i actually believe intend on releasing PC Battlefield 3 and their version of it, BC2 crackin PC sales prolly justified to EA to let DICE do whatever they wanted with their BF franchise.

I view the Bf1942, BF2 and now BF3 series of games as separate from all those COD clones and the Bad company games.

If they turn the pure BF games into something like that I'll be pissed. By something like that I mean weaker games, that just turn into money making clones with a new version every year like fifa.

Less maps and content included so they can release it later by DLC.

Again people played BF1942 for years, same with bf2. There was expansion packs for both games but after releasing loads of new maps for free along with patches back in 1942 they decided to start charging people for them in BF2 with their 'DLC' was a large up roar about that but that's just how the industry went.

BF2 was enough game to stand on its own and none of the DLC or expansion packs improved the game at all, karkand was still the most popular map and its still being played today. People kept playing BF2 not cause of the DLC but cause BF2 itself was worth playing for that many years, as PC gamers like it more then the other military shooters out at the time.

I'm hoping its the same for BF3 but the worry is they'll hold back on all the good stuff in order to release them bit by bit later. Sell us a half complete game and release the rest of it in parts , one dlc at a time.

The console BF3 will have a lot more competition then the PC version of BF3 however. I wonder will we start to see platform only content at some stage.

Anyway apart from all the bad news, I'm really looking forward to BF3, its never going to be as good as the old days, but I really do miss conquest and I really hope its still more like BF2/1942 and less like those dumbed down bad company games or 1943.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

More information continues to trickle out from DICE on Battlefield 3. This time it goes beyond saying that the PC version of Battlefield 3 is the primary development platform for the title and the console versions will come from the PC version. This is a much different strategy than DICE has used in the past where the PC version was simply an enhanced port of the console version of the title.

Battlefield 3 will be using dedicated servers to host the online action, as has become tradition in the Battlefield franchise. While mod tools are still planned for release for Battlefield 3, they will not be coming at release due in part to the new Frostbite 2 engine that powers Battlefield 3. In addition, it is still up in the air as to what kind of functionality these mod tools will offer and how they will handle mods. DICE has noted that the development and release of mod tools takes a lot of effort; and right now they need to be focused on the release of the title.

One other interesting thing of note is that DICE has apparently learned a lot of lessons about DLC content, and they will not be handling it the same way they did for Battlefield Bad Company 2. In the future, you can expect a steady stream of content and no six-month wait. DICE has realized that the content is necessary to maintain momentum of the title and keep player interest in the title at a high level. While DICE offers no hints, you can bet that you will see a lot of content for Battlefield 3.

http://fudzilla.com/games/item/21792-battlefield-3-is-a-pc-title-first

Interesting stuff. Things are sounding better and better.

I reckon the need for this constant stream of DLC is down to the console versions. Again I wonder if we'll see different DLC for different platforms.

Seems to be happening with the likes of deadspace 2 where only the consoles get certain DLC.

I dunno I can imagine some maps types for example having different levels of populating on different formats.

Great news though. I can't wait for some actual footage of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Right now I'm most interested in seeing the Frostbite 2 engine. Seeing micro destruction and how it effects buildings especially if there's going to loads of close, built up urban maps.

Reckon it'll be fun to mod.

Sometimes less is more though, remember el alamein? Large open area, handful of buildings and only 3 takeable flags.

Yet it was fantastic. BF2 unfortunately messed up on the larger open maps by making them overly cluttery thus harder to navigate, and they added far too many flags which harmed the gameplay. But BF2 did the more infantry based maps very well.

In BF2 by trying to make things look cool they harmed the gameplay for the open area vehicle maps so I'm really hoping they improve on this for BF3.

But seeing fully built up cities now sounds verrrrrrry interesting. Could have never imagined a new york map back in the BF2 days, never mind a destructible one. In fact all their locations sound brilliant. I have no doubt the smaller more infantry based maps will be done well.

Sounds like a brilliant engine if it can do all this and still play on a console. If this was PC only I'd be wondering how much of a beast of a PC would be needed but since its not (and assuming destruction will be the same on all formats) one has to wonder how they can pull this off on such dated hardware.

Bring on the footage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

That's why console players are giving out about 32 being the max for them when it's 64 on the PC. Saw one lad saying he didn't know why if MAG could do 256 (or whatever it is) then why can't BF3. Duuuuurrrrrrr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jim wrote: »
    That's why console players are giving out about 32 being the max for them when it's 64 on the PC. Saw one lad saying he didn't know why if MAG could do 256 (or whatever it is) then why can't BF3. Duuuuurrrrrrr

It appears to only be 24 on the consoles, though that's still a step-up from the 16 of BC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Didn't seem to be a huge difference with recoil between standing and prone, there was some, but the noticeable you would expect when firing an LMG

Also, I wish they'd get rid of the "hit register X" that shows you hit someone, even through walls or smoke. Hopefully there is a Hardcore mode in Multiplayer so we don't have that

Can't wait for Chopper and Jet gameplay etc

Who else pre-ordered MOH and has Beta access (whenever that comes out) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some BF2 map favourites gonna be in BF3

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/05/10/Back-to-Karkand.aspx

Alittle off topic but can anyone tell me how mush BC2: Vietnam pack is on the PS3 and if its worth a buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Vietnam isn like the rest of battlefield just so ya know. I like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well Bad Company 2 was the first BF title I played (I played a little BF 2 but interent was real laggy so couldn't play properly)

So you think Online in BF 3 will be different from BC2 online? I like the squad based approach and the 'holy shiit' moments of everything blowing up around ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

"DICE developers confirmed via Twitter that the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions would run at 720p, as opposed to 1080p, which both consoles support. Furthermore, console versions would run at 30 frames per second, which is considered the bare minimum frame rate for first person shooters," an unofficial Battlefield 3 blog reported. "The news comes after DICE developer Johan Anderson confirmed via Twitter that the game will run at 30 fps on consoles, and later confirmed that it will be in 720p as well."

The framerate limitation is a compromise to get the level of action Battlefield 3 demands on a console, and was expected by the development team. "We always do 30 fps on consoles, not possible to fit in vehicles, fx, scale and all players otherwise," Anderson stated on this Twitter account.
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/06/battlefield-3-finally-shown-on-consoles-with-graphical-quality-detailed.ars?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+Featured+Content%29&utm_content=Google+International

Glad I got a decent pc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

BC2 runs good on PS3 at 30fps... video actually looks really sweet tbh, i'll be more than happy to play it on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Imagine how much a game like this generates on hardware, couple million will probably buy it on pc even if they download it they will still buy hardware for it, i for one will be investing about 600€ on upgrades to play this to it's fullest, it's not only for this game but a good high end game usually kick starts my upgrading process.
    So console might sell more copies and earn 500mil, but bf3 could get close to 500mil, but if added in hardware it will be well over a billion, which is great for the industry and funds R&D, it's all tied to the games industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

omerin wrote: »
    Looked at the vid, and I praise the Lord for my PC

Tbh graphics are so good across all platforms these days its not a defining factor in games for me.
    It will obviously look much better on pc but i am willing to take the hit and so is my wallet ;)
    As long as the gameplay is the same across the board its all gravy with me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Agreed gameplay is what matters most but when i watch my son play bad company 2 on 360 compared to my pc its like an entirely different game,the difference has got to be seen to be believed.

Advertisement