Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deafness Claiming Disability Payment

Options
  • 04-02-2011 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am severe/profoundly deaf in both ears and have been referred for an assessment for a cochlear implant, how do i go about making a claim for disability benefit? I am unemployed on jobseekers benefit at present. My family doctor has advised me to contact NAD who advised me to contact my local citizens advice bureau who in turn advised me to contact my family doctor. I'm going round in circles and getting nowhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

or pop into your local social welfare and get a booklet on disability allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Aishae wrote: »
    or pop into your local social welfare and get a booklet on disability allowance

That should be Illness Benefit. The OP has a PRSI record, so would be entitled to Illness Benefit while off work. This is not means tested whereas Disability Allowance is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

the citizens advice website is good - you can see what the benefits are and look at the eligability criteria for each. my mother is also deaf and had a prsi record but gets disability benefit - they sound a bit confusing as some of them sound so similar

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mysticvean

Excellent advice there.

If all else fails, go to your local TD and s/he would get it sorted for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement