Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Gifts etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

keesa wrote: »
    Change do do bigger sizes, I'm not a 32 or an a and I found stuff in there that's great. The white ones look like bridal stuff which is probably why they're more expensive. I just suggested it cos you mentioned about strapless. Not all the styles are online, I'm sure they have different colours.
    I hate lush, but yeah, some girls love it. But still I'd avoid that "close shave" one. Don't want to imply she's stubbley :P

I did not realise you were a woman. So that proves my point, women like different things when it comes to lingerie and every woman likes something different, so for a man to pick it out...thats a nightmare.

I still have never heard of CHANGE. Im quite happy with my wonderbra stuff for nights out and then new look underwear or La Senza stuff the rest of the time. Not all the Wonderbra stuff is push up...thats just my preference.

Seamless underwear like granny pants? Far from Bridget Jones pants. I dont like stringy thongs myself, dont get me wrong, ive loads of them...but havnt worn the stringy types in 3 years. The cinched in fat is not a good look....and im a slim person...so cant be good luck for larger women. The Wondrabra Seamless Thong is the only one a wear lately because dont get wedgy from them. Very smooth and most comfortable underwear ever and i certainly dont look like granny in it haha.

I found guys have actually had good choice in perfume anytime i was given it as a gift.

However I find even female friends get jewellery wrong. One guy got me a diamond necklace and the 1st time i wore it, I lost it. Was well pissed off...the chain was very delicate and it broke. Also you can end up with too much Newbridge Silverware jewellery. My mam got the 2 exact same Newbridge gifts at Christmas and because they didnt bother to give her an exchange receipt she had to keep the 2. I think if people are going to give Jewellery its essential to attach a return gift receipt to it in case the person doesnt like it.

For example for my recent birthday a female friend got me this Necklace for 50 euro Anyway it was nice of her to get it, but because it was a dark gun metal colour, it didnt go well with my skin. I felt really bad because I thought as a result I would not wear it. Luckily she gave me a receipt to change it for something else. Unfortunately, I didnt like anything in the Jewellery shop and settled for something else which was 35 euro. Everything was so expensive and there was 15 euro left over...it meant I lost the 15 euro or had to pay more money towards another piece of jewellery. In the end I bought something else and put the 15 euro towards it. Either way, it would have been a waste if I never got the exchange receipt. At least that way I could exchange it myself without offending her or knowning and get something which I do wear a few times a week.
    Depends on the girl...im very pleased with LUSH gifts, because they are natural and do not irritate as a result, no animal products like crushed beetles, are not tested on animals. Ive never used the King body butter myself, but its just a normal body butter. Its not actually meant to be for shaving. Some poster in Ladies Lounge swears by it!!!

I think if a girl gets offended by any gift, she is certainly not worth going out with. Like people really get offended by gifts?

At the end of the day...I was giving alternatives gift Idea's to this CHANGE website. I do lots of shopping and ive never heard of it. Ive lived in many European countries and never heard of it in those countries either. Instead of having an "I agree to disagree" arguement about me not liking anything in that shop...
    I spent alot of time searching for these and adding the links..I put forward different Idea's that myself as a woman would like to be given as gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Oh holy god, any thoughts of buying longjooray have gone out the window with the sheer complexity of it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I always think making a nice dinner for somebody (and making the place look nice/different helps too) is the best thing to do on Valentines.

Then presents really depend on the girl, one girls dream present is another's nightmare. Some girls will be like Magneticimpulse and won't want lingerie, but others will be delighted. You have to use your brain and work out what type of girl you are buying for! A nice necklace is a safe option with most girls and gives the added bonus potential of being able to put it on her and with all the romantic potential of that moment!

But it really depends on the girl. A girl with a perfume collection to rival Brown Thomas may not be too keen on getting more, but it might be the ideal gift for somebody else. Ditto handbags etc.

I always think making a nice dinner for somebody (and making the place look nice/different helps too) is the best thing to do on Valentines.

Then presents really depend on the girl, one girls dream present is another's nightmare. Some girls will be like Magneticimpulse and won't want lingerie, but others will be delighted. You have to use your brain and work out what type of girl you are buying for! A nice necklace is a safe option with most girls and gives the added bonus potential of being able to put it on her and with all the romantic potential of that moment!

But it really depends on the girl. A girl with a perfume collection to rival Brown Thomas may not be too keen on getting more, but it might be the ideal gift for somebody else. Ditto handbags etc.

I totally agree on the dinner. Best Valentines I ever had was when he made dinner.

Its not that I wouldnt like lingerie...it would have to be the exact type/brand i went into detail before.

I still think Jewellery can go wrong...besides the story i went into detail above. I have another female friend who always buys me gold type of bangles, rings and necklaces...which I am sure they are expensive (its just too bling bling and tacky looking for me). But they go straight into a box. After 10 years this box of never worn jewellery could also rival Brown Thomas. Whereas the necklace story above was the opposite...it was too plan and modern/alternative looking.

Then a guy friend bought me a white gold bracelet. It was really nice of him, but the "catch" never closed fully and I was too scared I would lose it as it fell off my arm a few times (especially after i lost the diamond necklace)...so that went into the box as well never to be worn out.

Also got lots of Rugby Jerseys and heaven knows why...i never follow Rugby of any team.

100% agree...that you should really know your girlfriend and exactly what she likes, as otherwise it can turn out very expensive and a waste of unwanted gifts. Or at least give the gift receipt so they can exchange it in the shop if they dont like it (it doesnt have the value of the gift on it...but if they exchange it...only then will they know how much it cost so they can buy something else for that value).

As for Make up and Perfume??? Not sure....every girl I know has tonnes of the stuff and would still quite happily accept more. Can never have enough perfume or lipgloss, or nail polish ;)

Making dinner and general putting in the effort that counts etc is the most important thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

^ I completely forgot make up. The best reaction I have ever got to a present was a Bobbi Brown brush set.

And your stories about various wrong presents for the wrong person, really show the value in knowing who you are buying for. I know a girl who hates gold jewelery too, yet has received numerous gifts of it through the years. And rugby jerseys...what?!! :pac:

But yes, know the person you are buying for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Make up can be a tricky one, the brush set mentioned above is a lovely present in my opinion, but I wouldn't encourage any man to buy the actual products unless you knew exactly what she used! Fancy skincare (Clarins, Lancome etc) is a nice gift.

I would love lingerie as a present, as long as it wasn't red or lacy :p That would prove he knows nothing about me!

Cards are a lovely way to convey a feeling or expression. Whether it be homemade or shop bought, a few words inside are very special. My card last year wasn't even a "Valentine's" card, just a blank greetings card with a picture of something I'm into on the front. Personal touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I need to come up with a good present this year. I somehow managed to half forget my wifes birthday a few weeks back. Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

kerryman12 wrote: »
    I need to come up with a good present this year. I somehow managed to half forget my wifes birthday a few weeks back. Not good

Hey Kerryman,

Tough situation. How about you bring her into town and pretend to be looking at buying yourself a new watch in the jewellers. You will see her looking at stuff and just ask her what she thinks of what she is looking at (if good buy it, but keep the receipt). If she realises what your doing at least she will know your trying.

DO as mentioned loads of times make dinner and dessert!!!! Easy 2 second dessert thats a winner is:

Buy 500g of mixed berries then blend. Add 2/3 tablespoons of honey and 500g of natural yoghurt, mix in bowel and put in freezer just before dinner for at least 40mins, an hour to be safe. Don't do the day before as will freeze too much.

For added effect get 2 big wine glasses and put in the freezer aswell. When you take out the berry ice cream the glasses will have a frosted effect and put the ice cream into the glass.

Quick, easy and a winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

How about this, I have been seeing a girl for the last month, like her. So i wanna get her something that lets her know that. Dont want to give an overly committed gift either.

She said she never got a card in the post before, so I was gonna post her one. Just wary she will hand me one and i wont have one for her. So wanna have something small she will like. Lingerie, jewellery and perfume just feel wrong.

Would chocolates be a bit miserable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ooh. I'm going against the grain here in saying I LOVE getting lingerie! It doesn't matter if I don't think it's the best on me, it just means the boy wants to get it oooonnnnn! Sure, I wouldn't buy a lot of that stuff for myself, but I wear what I want to wear most days, nothing wrong with wearing red thongs or lacy bodies or whatever for fun.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Ooh. I'm going against the grain here in saying I LOVE getting lingerie! .............. nothing wrong with wearing red thongs or lacy bodies or whatever for fun.

Malari - the damage is done and I didn't get the voucher.

They gave me no tips on how to get the right size and brand either.

Tell me the secret of man made fire :D:D:D

We need a plan here and are sizes consistant and accurate etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

CDfm wrote: »
    I saw this in my inbox today.

My ears didn't go red but going into a lingerie shop to buy would traumatise me. :o

Personally I think you'd look fetching in the red one:p

Flowers are a given (no matter what anyone says, if you don't buy flowers you'll be in the doghouse before the end of the day).....after that...voucher for a bit of R&R like a spa...cook a meal yourself as opposed to going out...make it special..doesn't have to cost the earth.....every woman loves good lingerie...but not every guy knows what good lingerie is...saying that, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Hah, well I think my boyfriend raids my underwear drawer and gets the most common size in whatever style he fancies or I wear. I have a range of different brands and they are mostly the same size, but he keeps a gift receipt. It's not a big deal to me if it needs to be exchanged.

Cicero wrote: »
    Personally I think you'd look fetching in the red one:p

You know me too well :p
    Flowers are a given (no matter what anyone says, if you don't buy flowers you'll be in the doghouse before the end of the day).....after that.
    check
    ..voucher for a bit of R&R like a spa.

She hates
    ..cook a meal yourself as opposed to going out..

Miss Doolittle has seen me cook
    .make it special..doesn't have to cost the earth.....every woman loves good lingerie...but not every guy knows what good lingerie is...saying that, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try

The trauma could be too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

CDfm wrote: »

The trauma could be too much

But why?...What's traumatic about going into a lingerie shop...OK..rehearsal time:

CDfm: Eh..Hello...I'd like to eh...eh..mmm...

Woman in shop: Get your partner some lingerie for Valentines day? Certainly.

CDfm: Yes, that...exactly....thanks...I'd like good quality but classy too...(i.e. read as dead expensive but dead sexy) ...I have her sizes here if that helps

"Woman in shop": That's great, and don't worry I'll give you a gift receipt anyway...would you like me to show you a selection...

CDfm: Yes....*relief*

Job Done...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

While I agree that lingerie isn't a good present I also agree with cicero about it being easy to do in terms of embarrassment. It's like getting an examination of your privates, necessary and rarely as bad as you anticipate. :D seriously no one in the shop is going to think anything of it.

Don't envy guys when it comes to Valentines Day. especially when as galvasean was saying it's very new, that makes it so hard to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

What should you get the lady in your life for Valentines???

pregnant, she'll never forget you <3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BBDBB wrote: »

Spoiler???

Na, my partner does not deserve to be spoilt.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

BBDBB wrote: »

Cant afford it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Valentine's is definitely the trickiest time to buy a present for your special one-get it right it's the best feeling,get it wrong (as I have!!!) and it's very easy to hurt her feelings.

The right lingerie can be hard to pick out,most important is to remember it's for her,not you,much and all as we'd like to think otherwise:pac:
    I've bought here,it just avoids any potential awkward moments in the shop...

• Advertisement

staker wrote: »
    Valentine's is definitely the trickiest time to buy a present for your special one-get it right it's the best feeling,get it wrong (as I have!!!) and it's very easy to hurt her feelings.

The right lingerie can be hard to pick out,most important is to remember it's for her,not you,much and all as we'd like to think otherwise:pac:
    I've bought here,it just avoids any potential awkward moments in the shop...

Like you said, you are buying for you instead of buying for her. That was what I was trying to explain about what i liked...might not be the most obvious of underwear to buy. Sure this Valentines "PLAYMATE" card would match (insert her photo)
    http://www.moonpig.com/uk/CardGallery/Promotion/1890/default.aspx

If I was a man, I would totally avoid buying underwear from the internet. I think the post above about going into a lingerie department is really good. It is very necessary. I think the women who work there must be very used to men shopping and they can give advice from a womans opinion (however they are still sales people).

At this stage it is too late to buy stuff from internet (unless you get it next day delivery).

I got my brother a personalised Birthday "Movie about him" card (its on 13th) from www.moonpig.com
    I think thats a brillant idea. The card was only £2.99 and £1 postage (thou you can have it next day post). Normal post takes 4 days.

Chocolates is ok to give (i myself am still on the post christmas diet...lost 1 stone over month of january.....) if you give them with something else like jewellery or even a rose or 2. You dont have to buy a full bunch. I think 1 single big rose is better.

Failing that...if you dont have money to buy 12 roses...take her to the Rose Garden in the Botanic Gardens on Sunday (Its free in). Tell her something cheesy like....the flower shop didnt have enough roses to express your love for her...so you took her there (maybe still at least buy 1 big rose...not the ones you get in nightclubs thou haha).

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/

Maybe not everyone can make it to Dublin 9...so maybe this list of Gardens in Ireland can help....http://www.visitireland.com/attractions/gardens.asp (haha read the 1st line on that website "Ireland is one of the most fertile places on earth.") [EDIT: Are roses flowering this time of the year? I dont think so...but its still lovely place to look around and take a walk, very romantic despite not many flowers in bloom...Inside the Glasshouses will have flowers]

I think it would be a lovely thing to do this Sunday (since Valentines is Monday)

Cooking dinner and making dessert will blow her away...Im hard to please woman and its the nights that they made me dinner that blew me away.

I dont want to be hard to please...but I like to get gifts i need...otherwise I totally appreciate the handmade...dinner, or whatever is handmade and took effort for them to prepare. It shows time and commitment. Wins all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sakura_chan

What is a good present for a guy?
    I am not really into Valentine's (Hate going out for dinner that night with the crowds and overpriced fixed menus). I reckon it is nice to get something personal. A book or a cd is something I would like. I also love the idea of him making a special dinner - candles, a bottle of bubbly, some nice background music - it's the little extras that make it really special!
    This year, me and my man are at opposite sides of the globe so dinner is out of the question. I have sent on a book that he will like.
    Anyone got any other guy present suggestions?

What is a good present for a guy?
    I am not really into Valentine's (Hate going out for dinner that night with the crowds and overpriced fixed menus). I reckon it is nice to get something personal. A book or a cd is something I would like. I also love the idea of him making a special dinner - candles, a bottle of bubbly, some nice background music - it's the little extras that make it really special!
    This year, me and my man are at opposite sides of the globe so dinner is out of the question. I have sent on a book that he will like.
    Anyone got any other guy present suggestions?

Man's Valentines Day is on 14th of March - Steak and $$%%^%^ Day

Or the more polite term in Japan is "White Day"

Sure dont I know all about it...ive only been reminded about it anytime a guy gives me a card on 14th Feb...not to forget him on 14th of March

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sakura_chan

How could I forget?! You are simple creatures!

Man's Valentines Day is on 14th of March - Steak and $$%%^%^ Day

Or the more polite term in Japan is "White Day"

Sure dont I know all about it...ive only been reminded about it anytime a guy gives me a card on 14th Feb...not to forget him on 14th of March

Beware the Ides of March

Cos on the Ides of February Mr Magneticimpulse is getting nuthin., not a coffee in bed or a sausage sandwich, :eek::eek:

Is it same for all guys ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 carolineangela

I'm taking my boyfriend away on a nice hotel break.... present sorted!!

On meteorgoodiebag.ie they have a nice offer for €120 = a room for 2 in any Cartlon Hotel + Dinner + Breakfast + Late checkout.

That should keep him happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think it'd be made a million times easier to know what to do for this if women always said what they meant. like you could find out at some point how your girl feels about vals day, and she'll likely say something like I'm not that bothered as long as we're together, but it's impossible to know if she really means this.

I know logically I think what a load of bollix, and it just doesn't make any sense that people with half a brain could think any less of someone for not doing anything, but then I am influenced in some ways by the media and general norm. so if I was with someone and vals day came around and it was completely ignored, I'd be slightly bothered. though I still maintain that it's a complete waste of money :pac:

though if it was done on another day I would be much happier. its like being told when to show someone you care, how unromantic :rolleyes: but if you're doing it only on 14th Feb then ya it's bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

it's great if your going out with someone valentine's day but it always makes you feel lonely when your single :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I think you guys are missing a trick with this Change offer - get the voucher and give it to her! You have basically given her €60 to spend on herself on underwear, not necessarily lingerie. My wife doesn't like wearing lingerie, but likes nice bras, and changes sizes more than Oprah (pregnant then breastfeeding and now back to normal). So that's what she'll appreciate most.

That's what i've done, and she's getting flowers, and i'll do the night-feeds for the little fella that night. :)

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think you guys are missing a trick with this Change offer - get the voucher and give it to her! You have basically given her €60 to spend on herself on underwear, not necessarily lingerie. My wife doesn't like wearing lingerie, but likes nice bras, and changes sizes more than Oprah (pregnant then breastfeeding and now back to normal). So that's what she'll appreciate most.

That's what i've done, and she's getting flowers, and i'll do the night-feeds for the little fella that night. :)

Are you not supposed to do that 50% of the time anyway?? Not just Valentines you know!!!!

Advertisement