Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Gifts etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Are you not supposed to do that 50% of the time anyway?? Not just Valentines you know!!!!

well you can't really judge if you don't know the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Valentines day is definately an "imposition"......and definately some couples agree from the outset that they won't ever buy their partner something on that day....

.....BUT...when the day comes, it does bring it's pressures and people naturally conform....BUT..
    ....that's where "doing something different" other than the "all you can eat Chinese" as CDfm mentioned, can help reconcile the incongruity that people can experience...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The bf is a boardsie and appears to have been infected by this thread.

The past two years, he has gotten fairly extravagant gifts, and I have not recieved so much as a card :(

Tonight he arrives in telling me how he saw a jacket I might love, and would I check it out as a Valentines gift, seeing as how we never celebrated it before? :confused:

I gently reminded him that I'd bought him lovely gifts two years in a row, at which point he went "oh"

Stheno wrote: »
    The bf is a boardsie and appears to have been infected by this thread.

The past two years, he has gotten fairly extravagant gifts, and I have not recieved so much as a card :(

Tonight he arrives in telling me how he saw a jacket I might love, and would I check it out as a Valentines gift, seeing as how we never celebrated it before? :confused:

I gently reminded him that I'd bought him lovely gifts two years in a row, at which point he went "oh"

Sounds like he needs to get himself to a good lingerie shop..and spend a few weeks wages.....I'm sure he's got a few pointers from this thread to help him....;)

I don't think I've ever actually gotten a valentines day present. I got a card once I think :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Cicero wrote: »
    Sounds like he needs to get himself to a good lingerie shop..and spend a few weeks wages.....I'm sure he's got a few pointers from this thread to help him....;)

the Change deal has closed.

I wonder whats on offer today

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/35-instead-of-85-for-a-Brazilian-Wax-and-Eyebrow-Transformation-at-Waxperts-Dun-Laoghaire/125/

:eek::eek::eek:

What do you advise Cicero, your script for the lingerie was bang
    on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks but no thanks, I buy my own lingerie :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Would people please stop suggesting lingerie as if it's the perfect Valentine's present! It couldn't be further from that, and the more men who go out thinking they're being awesome by buying it them more women we'll have ending the day horribly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Would people please stop suggesting lingerie as if it's the perfect Valentine's present! It couldn't be further from that, and the more men who go out thinking they're being awesome by buying it them more women we'll have ending the day horribly disappointed.

Well, it's probably being suggested because obviously some women like to receive it. :confused: I know I'd pick it over chocolate and a card any day.

Typical , blame the messenger, but it was that crowd at boards deals who emailed me with the fancy lingerie idea.

I would not have come up with that by myself .

Anyway, once the deadline passed this showed up in my inbox

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] click here.
    [/FONT]

header.png Today's Deal:
    €35 instead of €85 for a Brazilian Wax and Eyebrow Transformation at Waxperts, Dun Laoghaire 2e839241e16c98bab440f908df8fb732.jpg €35

Save 59%

viewnow.png
    With Valentines just around the corner Waxperts want to show you their love with this great offer. Feel fabulous and confidently smooth with a wonderful waxing treatment at a discount!

Pay €35 for a Brazilian Wax and an Eyebrow Transformation, at Waxperts in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin - normally €85 - with today's Boards Deal!

Waxperts is a dedicated waxing salon based in Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin. A luxurious boudoir style salon, they concentrate exclusively on offering full body waxing for male and female clients. With comfortable surroundings and a flat screen television in each treatment room it becomes a treat to get waxed, not a chore!

At Waxperts cleanliness, client safety and comfort are a...
    Read More »
    Recommend this deal!
    fb_25x25.pngtwitter_25x25.pngemail_25x25.png
    Terms:
    - One voucher per person
    - Valid for six months
    - Patch test may be required

Payment options:
    cc_laser_nl.pngcc_mc_nl.pngcc_visa_nl.png
    So Count Duckula are you saying she might prefer this :confused:

They have a telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Jaysus,getting your OH a voucher for a wax unless its specifically requested could lead to a world of pain - for you,not her.

Her - So I need a wax do I?

You - Ehh no,I just thought it was practical.

Her - Screw you!:mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

CDfm wrote: »
    Typical , blame the messenger, but it was that crowd at boards deals who emailed me with the fancy lingerie idea.

I would not have come up with that by myself .

My message was addressed to Cicero, not yourself. My bad, I should have quoted him.
    Anyway, once the deadline passed this showed up in my inbox So Count Duckula are you saying she might prefer this :confused

I think that might be an even worse idea ;) But just because it showed up next doesn't mean you only have a choice between the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

They have a telly.

:D

Okay, sorry to be all bah-humbug, but...

I've begged my boyfriend not to do anything. Being with someone on Valentines always just makes me feel like I'm walking into some huge obligation. We get each other thoughtful little pressies often enough, for no reason other than we want to, and I love buying/receiving them. However V-Day just makes me a bit angry.

The customary gifts are card, flowers, chocolate. Cards are pointless imo, they only serve to let someone know you're thinking of them. It's 2011 now, I think there's better ways of getting in touch. I wonder how much of the rainforest gets cut down just so people can send two words (Happy Valentines!) to each other. Use facebook, text, or better yet, just say it to the OH. Flowers take maintenance for a few days, then die. As for chocolates, that's the biggest crime. I love chocolate! White, milk, dark, whatever. But those silly packets of milk tray etc. that aren't nearly as nice as a big bar of Dairy Milk are ridiculous.

The boyfriend and I are going to make sure we're with each other for the day, but he's been made to promise not to spend any money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Have never celebrated this and don't think I ever will, if it is important to her then I suppose I would get her something.

Steak and BJ night is much more important!:D

My message was addressed to Cicero, not yourself. My bad, I should have quoted him.

Don't blame yourself. It is Cicero who gave the dodgy advice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

^ Definitely do not give her a wax voucher. I know very few women who get waxing done anyway. I know myself I have never gotten anything waxed in my life and at 30 i am not going to start now.

Im a shaving girl, and some girls are into epilators or whatever....if I had a "wax" done, there would be "nothing" to wax haha so definite waste of money.

Whats wrong with making dinner, and dessert? Did you read the tLL thread on Valentines. When women say they dont want anything, they dont!!! Some women even expressed they didnt want a card as its a waste of paper.

I think card...maybe "1" rose or big flower. 12 roses is a waste of money and 1 is just as nice. Then homemade dinner and dessert. And a nice walk in some fancy gardens/waterfall/house/beach/mountain on Sunday.

This idea that we want lingerie, waxing etc is just not true!!! Thats all very personal stuff and its better that people get it. How would you like it if she got you a "back wax"....Id be insulted to say the least. Also I would never buy my OH a pair of boxers or underwear unless they were joke ones like superman pants. I think its a rubbish gift, like giving someone a pair of socks!!! I think giving a man a pair of boxers is rubbish...so I dont see why its seen as a great gift to give women a pair of knickers. Like suggesting she wears bridget jones pants the rest of the time.

You cant go wrong with making dinner and dessert!!! Trust me. But you can go wrong with a dodgy gift...that is suggestive and be taken the wrong way.

Now it wouldn't be for me magneticimpulse, but some women like their men "groomed" and the advert clearly does say they do cater for women and men.

Will this be a magneticimpulse buy for Valentines Day???

I wonder what they might offer instead of eyebrow shapping.

I wonder what they might offer instead of eyebrow shapping.

OT but this made me laugh because I went and got my hair cut Friday and the barber asked if I wanted her to trim my eyebrows.

I was not impressed at the time but did chortle about it afterwards.

OT but this made me laugh because I went and got my hair cut Friday and the barber asked if I wanted her to trim my eyebrows.

I was not impressed at the time but did chortle about it afterwards.

tut tut neddy should know better :p

Do you have someone to freak out over buy Valentines presents for?

• Advertisement

I shape my own eyebrows thank you. Have my own eyebrow stencils and eyebrow razor from eyebrowz.com
    Why on gods name would you pay someone to do it for you? Some people obviously have too much money to waste haha

We are just going onto really ridculous gifts now...at this rate you will be exchanging your girlfriend...seems like there is nothing "right" with her...all this grooming etc you want to send her off to...poor thing. ;(

tut tut neddy should know better :p

Do you have someone to freak out over buy Valentines presents for?
    Have been sort of seeing someone that I met on POF funnily enough however I dont think anything will come of it so the answer would be a no.2 of my housemates are single so we are just going to sit around and be misreable bastards together.

Have been sort of seeing someone that I met on POF funnily enough however I dont think anything will come of it so the answer would be a no.2 of my housemates are single so we are just going to sit around and be misreable bastards together.

Ah don't let it get to you. let the logic overcome the soppyness.

Oh you've misunderstood,I love being a misreable bastard! :D

Well it's the topic of this thread.....do you want poor CDfm's thread to end in misery....?:(

...he has a complex about buying lingerie...we have formed a self help group here to get him over his fear and anxieties about buying womens clothing..besides, CDfm's other half (Miss Dualot (she's French) ...she'll be so proud of him as he walks in the door with a teddy that doesn't need cuddling and a very large return gift receipt for BT's..:)

Oh you've misunderstood,I love being a misreable bastard! :D

ah I see. enjoy the sulking :p

^ if she's French...definitely avoid the lingerie and definitely go with FOOD and WINE!!!

Nice bottle of Bordeaux...from St. Emilion, Medoc or Pessac-Leognan (Chateau Brown) is far more likely to impress her so ;) Lidl normally has a few bottles of St. Emilion and 2005 too...which was a great year. If not, go for 2009 or 2010 (also excellent years).

Nice cheese board as well with a selection of French cheeses. You can get alot of French cheese from supermarkets...but if you want to really go out of your way, go to a Cheese monger. (this is if your girlfriend really is French and its not a joke, obviously dont get cheese if shes Irish).

In which case if you are getting any sort of Chocolates...none of this Cadbury's ****e for her. Has to be dark, 70% cocoa chocolates...like Lindt or who makes proper dark chocolates in Ireland today. (this is for French girls...or girls who actually know "proper" chocolate). Usually Butlers etc do decent stuff anyway which can sort of pass that mark. Hmm dark chocolate (not a box black magic). But proper 70% stuff.

Even better then the chocolates would be to make a Gooey Chocolate Cake "Moelleux au Chocolate"
    With creme anglaise or vanilla ice cream

What do you advise Cicero, your script for the lingerie was bang
    on

OK..let's see...something like this?

CDfm: Hi Honey, I got you this here "Waxing" gift...it looks really useful, and by the way, they have telly so you can watch Gerry Springer whilst writhing in agony...

Miss Dualot: Oh darling, you are so thoughtful...here, I got you this jacket you said you always wanted....don't worry, I'll tie it for you....

StraightJacket.jpg

:eek: I think it is safe to say that waxing might be a bad idea.

I would need to be trussed up like that to go near a waxing emporium. I hate pain. It hurts. But thats me. It would be a real cutting edge gift for a guy who likes that sort of thing. Maybe even a bonding experience.Him & hers.

Eyebrow shaping may even be a euphenism for something else.

@magneticimpulse , I see what you've done here, you've avoided discussing gifts for him.

• Advertisement

Even better then the chocolates would be to make a Gooey Chocolate Cake "Moelleux au Chocolate"
    With creme anglaise or vanilla ice cream

YUCK! I once had tacky valentines chocolate bought for me, it was foul. I'm not a big chocolate fan anyway, but that heart shaped stuff was foul, found it a year later on top of a cupboard I'd put it on to pretend I'd eaten it lol.

Why do people feel the need to celebrate it anyways? The restaurants are like a Soviet production line, everyone tries too hard to be "romantic" It's just another day of the week ffs!

Advertisement