Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentines Day Gifts etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

*In Soviet Union,love counter act productivity.

*hands up who read that in a dodgy Russian accent?
    :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

*In Soviet Union,love counter act productivity.

*hands up who read that in a dodgy Russian accent?
    :pac:

Me lol in the accent of Sean Connory in the Hunt for Red October :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Where is the love

bittersweets.img_assist_custom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

CDfm wrote: »
    @magneticimpulse , I see what you've done here, you've avoided discussing gifts for him.

Im single...i came here to have at least some sort of participation in valentines...otherwise its just like any other day for me. No "him" in my life.

I said early on, I dont really like valentines myself. The best Valentines I had, I actually cooked him dinner! We gave each other cards and watched TV with some champagne.

Its so soon after Christmas...if I do have a boyfriend, I normally spoil them with gifts at christmas. Then they (and myself)...buy loads of stuff in the January Sales. By the time Feb 14th comes by, im all gifted out. And he has everything he needs.

One year when we knew we couldnt be together for valentines itself, we went away skiing to Les 3 Vallees in the Alps the weekend before. That was quite romantic. No gifts in sight. But it was beautiful skiing together and sledging together in the mountains. That for me was extremely romantic.

I think Valentines is more about spending time together then what gift you get. Christmas is more about gift giving. Valentines should be about Romance and doing romantic stuff together. Not about materialistic things.

Dont worry...we went away again that same year skiing to Les 3 Vallees again 1 month later....in March for Man's Valentines Day and went out for Steak ;) The rest is too naughty to publish, but we definitely celebrated 14th March as well.

If your still looking at gift ideas....I think the best ultimate gift I could ever get would by Ryanair tickets. For my parents 50th/Christmas present one year I booked them Ryanair Tickets to Rome. I handed them the tickets in the card. Sure it had the price on them, but it didnt matter, they were going away ;) I dont think anyone would ever complain about going away for a weekend. And sure with Ryanair the price of tickets suits everyones budget. Whether its a 24 euro return flight or more etc. Just make sure you book 2 tickets on the flight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If your still looking at gift ideas....I think the best ultimate gift I could ever get would by Ryanair tickets. For my parents 50th/Christmas present one year I booked them Ryanair Tickets to Rome. I handed them the tickets in the card. Sure it had the price on them, but it didnt matter, they were going away ;) I dont think anyone would ever complain about going away for a weekend. And sure with Ryanair the price of tickets suits everyones budget. Whether its a 24 euro return flight or more etc. Just make sure you book 2 tickets on the flight ;)

Oh no. No no. Not Ryanair. That is not fun. It's should be called Christian Brothers airlines.

Oh no. No no. Not Ryanair. That is not fun. It's should be called Christian Brothers airlines.

St Valentine had no connection with the Christian Brothers AFAIK but the Whitefriars in Aungier Street Dublin and he arrived in Ireland by boat as aeroplanes had not been invented.

You can find out more here and how Al Capone celebrated Valentines Day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70573075&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post70573075

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

if you know your girlfriend/wife you should know what she likes, ive been buying lingerie for my fiancee pretty much since we first got together and she loves it (obviously so do i), it was a bit daunting at first but im practically on first name basis with the girls in la senza now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^ La senza is nice stuff. Lucky girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

St Valentine had no connection with the Christian Brothers AFAIK but the Whitefriars in Aungier Street Dublin and he arrived in Ireland by boat as aeroplanes had not been invented.

You can find out more here and how Al Capone celebrated Valentines Day.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70573075&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post70573075

Eh...don't think anybody was suggesting he arrived by aeroplane. Think it was just insulting Ryanair and how it is not exactly the most romantic of airlines to fly with!

• Advertisement

Eh...don't think anybody was suggesting he arrived by aeroplane. Think it was just insulting Ryanair and how it is not exactly the most romantic of airlines to fly with!

St Valentine was a romantic , so he obviously took a cruise. :)

I thought magneticimpulse might appreciate the Dublin/Rome connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

You said this:
    Stheno wrote: »
    The bf is a boardsie and appears to have been infected by this thread.

The past two years, he has gotten fairly extravagant gifts, and I have not recieved so much as a card :(

I gently reminded him that I'd bought him lovely gifts two years in a row, at which point he went "oh"

...and then you said this:

Why do people feel the need to celebrate it anyways? The restaurants are like a Soviet production line, everyone tries too hard to be "romantic" It's just another day of the week ffs!

...I'll just leave you two with this little juxtaposition to work through on Feb 14th...;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

nothing coz im single yessssssssssssssssssss

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

^ La senza is nice stuff. Lucky girl!

If you are not amply endowed in that area perhaps, I have never ever found La Senza underwear in any way nice.
    Cicero wrote: »
    You said this:

...and then you said this:

...I'll just leave you two with this little juxtaposition to work through on Feb 14th...;):p

I think where I am confused is that he managed to ignore it for two years, and now is suddenly infected. I like the whole Valentines thing if you don't do the restaurant side of it, the gifts, the "lets have a silly reason for buying gifts/being a bit soppy/brightening up the crap that is February after getting through January whole thing?

And it's kinda fun, you've Christmas, then in my case, I've Valentines, then MArch when it's his birthday so he gets three solid months of treats.

Then he gets nuttin until the anniversary :D in October.

My birthday is August, so I get the birthday gifts, then shortly after the Anniversary, then Christmas, then Valentines.

It's a nice excuse to be silly :) My local supermarket is doing dinner and dessert for two, with either a giant bottle of sparkling wine :eek: or a box of Thorntons Chocs for a tenner. Far better than a restaurant, he can cook it, I can relax, and then he can grow fat on the chocs :D

Jewellery, why has no one mentioned Jewellery as a gift?

^^^you're rambling now...:D

So, "him cooking" entails heating up a dinner for 2 prepared by a supermarket...OK..can live with that...at least you won't get food poisoning ..:)

..Jewelery?...yep, definite runner for V.Day but shouldn't be over the top either...
    Stick to Irish designers ...keeps it more local and special...

here's one that whose designs are a lot of fun but there's loads of others out there...

http://www.alanardiff.com/

...edit....btw...you have to come back and tell us all what he got ya..!:p

^^^you're rambling now...:D

So, "him cooking" entails heating up a dinner for 2 prepared by a supermarket...OK..can live with that...at least you won't get food poisoning ..:)

Yup, otherwise it's shepherds pie from frozen mash and veg, with a bit of mince thrown in :)

I'm not rambling, I like to order my life, and his birthday ending a glut of gift occasions means I have a spree of gifts then months without :)
    ..Jewelery?...yep, definite runner for V.Day but shouldn't be over the top either...
    Stick to Irish designers ...keeps it more local and special...

here's one that whose designs are a lot of fun but there's loads of others out there...

http://www.alanardiff.com/

...edit....btw...you have to come back and tell us all what he got ya..!:p

Lovely stuff on that site, seems to be all silver which I hate, and I really don't like how the jeweller doesn't sort his shop into categories.

I'm not that bothered about what he gets me lol, in nearly three years he's never made me dinner, so that in itself will be enough, to come home from work, get a cup of tea, and be told dinner is on the way would be bliss :D

^^ wow some price for that jewellery...even if its handmade, its still alot.

I admit, nice to look at someones craft. But its not my style either (and i dont mind silver so much). Again I mentioned before I find jewellery can go just as wrong as underwear as a gift.

I think people are thinking far too into giving gifts for valentines....it shouldnt even be that important. Its not a birthday or anniversary etc.

Guy cooking dinner seems to give women the most excitment and satisfaction

Lovely stuff on that site, seems to be all silver which I hate, and I really don't like how the jeweller doesn't sort his shop into categories.

It's sterling silver combined with 18 carat gold...it's only Valentines day...live with it...;):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Lads there is something that I've never been able to get my head around at this time of the year... And that is buying a girl lingerie for Valentine's Day!

I'm all in support of it, but surely it is like buying a present for yourself?!?

Guy cooking dinner seems to give women the most excitment and satisfaction

Ahem, do I detect some kitchen shenenigans here :eek:

• Advertisement

Ahem, do I detect some kitchen shenenigans here :eek:

And eh, what would you know about a kitchen then CDfm....:p

That ending with the train going fast into the tunnel was considered very risqué in it's day...gotta love Hitchcock.... :cool:

And eh, what would you know about a kitchen then CDfm....:p

That ending with the train going fast into the tunnel was considered very risqué in it's day...gotta love Hitchcock.... :cool:

Some people have no shame, I posted that innocently and was full of angst ;)

I dont remember that movie ending that way...funny I see bits of these movies on TV over the years, but not sure if I actually see them full from beginning to end. Of course I know the bit where he gets chased by the plane, thats about it.

Watched "Its a wonderful life" over christmas...im sure this year was the most i ever saw of that movie...might have even seen the whole thing.

Ah 1950's movies...now we are talking ;) Cary Grant....now thats a man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Hands down the best gift possible this valentines day.

NSFW

http://vimeo.com/19777275

Ah 1950's movies...now we are talking ;) Cary Grant....now thats a man

Amazingly , he was a guy who was into his lingerie. I read in a biography that finding the underwear of the day too uncomfortable (the seams were the problem) that Cary Crant used to wear French Knickers bought from Lingerie shops.

It wouldn't be for me.

Now how would you react to that :pac:

Now how would you react to that :pac:

I'd say that there's hope for you yet so....some day, you'll find the courage to go into a lingerie shop and say "Fitting please"...:D

I'd say that there's hope for you yet so....some day, you'll find the courage to go into a lingerie shop and say "Fitting please"...:D

Cicero admits to doing the TIME WARP AGAIN :eek::eek::eek:

It's sterling silver combined with 18 carat gold...it's only Valentines day...live with it...;):P

Ah now, nothing worse than a gift you hate, regardless of the intention!

btw you know in Japan that you can get man bras?

btw you know in Japan that you can get man bras?

I'll file that information away for future reference if required..:D

• Advertisement

Well I gave herself her Valentine's Day Gift Today and she was absolutely delighted. If living with me isn't awesome enough.:cool:

After tossing and turning, agonising sleepless nights I went to Carl Scarpa and bought a designer leather handbag.

Gift giving this morning as she has little or no patience with these things.

Advertisement