Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large increase in bill

• 04-02-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hi ESB

For the past 2 yrears my 2 month bill averaged €140

Today I got a bill for €364 but have dont nothing different in the past 2 months

is there something I missed ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Wize,

I can understand your concern over your higher than expected bill. If you would like to PM me your account number, I can look into this matter for you.
    If your previous bill was estimated, this could be the reason why this bill appears higher than usual. When the meter reader takes an accurate reading, we bill you for units which were unaccounted for in your previous bill. If your bill is estimated the letter "E" appears after the present reading.
    ESB Networks plan to read the meters 4 times a year and estimate twice. Two bills will definitely be estimated. If there are access problems e.g. a locked gate, dogs in the area, or meter inside - there may be more estimated bills. Inside meters cannot be read if there is no one at home. A "No Access" card will be left. Reading the meters 4 times year keeps meter reading costs down and is in line with international meter reading practice.
    If you get a lot of estimates, read your meter from time to time and submit your reading. If you receive a "No Access" card, it will have your MPRN number on it. You can call your reading in to ESB Networks on 1850 337 777 or submit the reading on line here. You will then receive a bill based on your correct reading.
    If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
    Many thanks
    Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

PM Sent

Thanks for the PM.

I have responded back to you PM.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

One More Question chris

Is ESB going to estamate the same amount for the next few months

Hi Wize,
    Estimated bills are based on your actual consumption history. If there has been any changes in consumption patterns, your estimated bills may not reflect your actual usage.
    If you get an estimated bill and you notice a big difference between your estimated and your actual reading, it is a good idea to submit a reading to us and we will issue you a corrected bill. This will help us to build a better image of your consumption history and in turn provide more appropriate estimated readings in future.
    Many thanks
    Chris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Hi guys,
    Had the same problem, and so have a lot of people here in Galway from what I've heard! Live in a small two-bed apartment, ESB bills have always ranged from 90-130 depending on the seasons etc but today we received a bill for €392!!

As you can imagine both our jaws dropped. As we're both students, we are very vigilant about electricity usage, because we can't afford to be paying that kind of bill. It looks very suspicious - the last bill, for the October - December billing period was estimated and this one wasn't, but on this bill we have used 3 times as many day units as possible and 5 times as many night units!

We're not the only ones - many friends of mine have had the same problem with their current bill. One in particular, lives with just her boyfriend in the house and both are out at college/work every weekday, travel home to Donegal at weekends and were out of the house for 4 weeks at Christmas - and their bill was around €450. Something's amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi The Cool,

At this time of year bills do tend to rise, particularly if in the preceding billing period the readings were underestimated (which, from what you have said, I would guess to be the case).

Another significant factor this time of year (considering the record-breaking low temperatures we were subjected to in 2010) is heating. If you have night storage heating installed and the heaters are generally kept at a consistent setting, they will perforce have to work harder in colder weather to maintain the same temperature output. If you PM me your account details I will look into this for you.

On a side note, I would advise you to submit an actual reading if, in the future, you are doubtful as to the accuracy of any estimated reads. You can do so online here, or by ringing 1850 372 372 (or 1850 337 777 if you get a card in the door from a meter reader). Further information on our reading policy can be found here.

I would recommend you also check out our online Appliance Calculator.
    It can be used to:
    • Estimate how much your home electrical appliances and lights cost to run
    • Compare the cost of using appliances in different ways (e.g. washing clothes at 40 °C versus 60 °C)
    • See the positive impact of using your appliances wisely (e.g. using a small ring on your stovetop versus a larger one)
    I hope this information helps, and if you need further assistance, please feel free to PM me your account details.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

The Cool wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Had the same problem, and so have a lot of people here in Galway from what I've heard! Live in a small two-bed apartment, ESB bills have always ranged from 90-130 depending on the seasons etc but today we received a bill for €392!!

As you can imagine both our jaws dropped. As we're both students, we are very vigilant about electricity usage, because we can't afford to be paying that kind of bill. It looks very suspicious - the last bill, for the October - December billing period was estimated and this one wasn't, but on this bill we have used 3 times as many day units as possible and 5 times as many night units!

We're not the only ones - many friends of mine have had the same problem with their current bill. One in particular, lives with just her boyfriend in the house and both are out at college/work every weekday, travel home to Donegal at weekends and were out of the house for 4 weeks at Christmas - and their bill was around €450. Something's amiss.

you can us to any list for this, our bill mushroomed to €518. we got the bill in the post yesterday. not sure how it could jump by so much.
    we are also in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi LithiumKid1976,

I hope some of the advice provided above for The Cool is of some use to you. To enable me to investigate this matter for you any further, I would need you to PM me with your account details.

Hopefully I will be able to provide some clarification.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi david,
    will do, will send on a Pm tonight, dont have my acc number on me at mo.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

electricity prices in ireland are a total rip off.

my parent's bill is astronomical every month, i know of many others in similar situations.

forget building more oil/peat powered stations... just go build one big nuke powered plant and we will have plenty of cheaper power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

electricity prices in ireland are a total rip off.

my parent's bill is astronomical every month, i know of many others in similar situations.

forget building more oil/peat powered stations... just go build one big nuke powered plant and we will have plenty of cheaper power.

Mine is around 160euro every 2 months for a large 4 bedroom bungalow with tumble dryer in use most days, dishwasher, electric cooker, immersion heater etc. I consider it good value.

Advertisement