Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat5/6 cable length to order?

• 04-02-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭

I remember years ago there was a thread around the old adverts I think where some guy made up cat5/6 cable to order for whatever length you wanted. Tried looking for but cant find it, anyway I'm looking to get a 30m cable at moment. Anyone any ideas where is best in Dublin to get this and how much it might cost? I'll probably try maplins but I don't want to get ripped off!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

PM me. I'll sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

its not rocket science buy a box of cat5. bag of rj45 connections, and a crimper to match

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bobdole968 wrote: »
    its not rocket science buy a box of cat5. bag of rj45 connections, and a crimper to match

Nope its not rocket science.

Box of systimax or beldon cat5/cat5e is 35-40 euro for a 300 meter box,RJ45 glass plugs are around 30-50 cents each.

Cable stripper and RJ45 crimper is around 10-20 euro (although stanley knife and small but sharp snips will do just fine for stripping the cable)

Trick is though getting your coliour codes bang on and getting the pairs perfectly smooth and straight and also lined up,so that they all go into the RJ45 plug neatly for crimping purposes.;)

I do this for a living each and every day.

I can make you any size lead you want or require.:)

tested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

paddy147 wrote: »

Box of systimax or beldon cat5/cat5e is 35-40 euro for a 300 meter box,RJ45 glass plugs are around 30-50 cents each.

Cable stripper and RJ45 crimper is around 10-20 euro (although stanley knife and small but sharp snips will do just fine for stripping the cable)

Trick is though getting your coliour codes bang on and getting the pairs perfectly smooth and straight and also lined up,so that they all go into the RJ45 plug neatly for crimping purposes.;)

tested too.

Exactly! I'm only looking for one cable, no point getting all the equipment. I`ll pm IrishB seeing as he offered first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

paddy147 wrote: »

tested too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-x-RJ45-Cat-5e-Cat-5-Crimp-Plugs-Connectors-Ends-/280558635976?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingTools_Accessories_SM&hash=item4152990bc8

£3.99 for 100
    4p each.

or

€12.71 inc vat for 100 in ireland.
    12c each.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/rj45-ethernet-cable-connector-100s.html

i usually order 1000 from the uk, and they post them to me for a flat fee of £7.
    so i get them for £46.90 / €55 for 1000.
    works out nicely at 5c each.

you wont find them cheaper in ireland...

first time i bought them in woodies, they were €18 for a pack of 20.

• Advertisement
Advertisement