Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Phone Provers data allowance?

Options
  • 04-02-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone fairly soon and have a noob question. The 1Gb / 2Gb Data 'allowance' that phone providers talk about in their price plans.....what is it?
    My thoughts / understanding is that, if I get an Iphone or some such and I am in the city centre or somewhere with free wifi access, that I would not touch my allowance. Am I correct in my thinking?
    I thought that the data allowance would only be touched if I have to use the phone providers network for the transfer of data?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your 100% correct, the data is for when your out and about and not using wifi. 2G is plenty for most people for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

250mb plenty for me. Have wifi in work and at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Ah, sound. I love being right! :P

I work in Dublin 8 and would be surprised if I couldnt pick up some wifi, at home I'll use my own broadband so I'm kind of thinking do I need it at all? 2Gb was recommended to me but my inclination is that that would be far too much.......

Advertisement