Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance question

Options
  • 04-02-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi,

I am filling out my home insurance forms and am a bit confised by one of the questions
    "Is the private house regularly left unoccupied as a result of you or members of your household working?" - does this mean - do you ever leave the house? or are you regurlary away for long periods?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am filling out my home insurance forms and am a bit confised by one of the questions
    "Is the private house regularly left unoccupied as a result of you or members of your household working?" - does this mean - do you ever leave the house? or are you regurlary away for long periods?

Thanks

They mean will the house be empty 12hours a day while your commutting to work, earning your money and travelling home. Or is there going to be someone there for part of the day, like kids home from school while your still in work.

An empty house is a higher risk for robbery, damage being done etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Liger is correct. Most people would have the answer this question as "yes". However, in most cases this will not increase the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You most likely know this but just in case: for the value of your house, put in the rebuilding cost and not what you bought it for, or what you think it might sell for now.

Lots of people have been way over-insuring their houses on this front and paying a correspondingly higher premium as a result.

Advertisement