Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning dog's teeth

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    I wonder is there beef or chicken flavoured toothpaste? He'd go for that!

Think there is!! :D Have a look online...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'd be VERY wary of giving chicken wings TBH. The bones are small and could easily cause choking. Similarly with chicken drumsticks. Although given raw, the bones can still splinter...

They will break as the dog crunches down on them, but as they are raw and from a young animal, the bones are soft and not like the lethal shards of a cooked bone. I don't see a worry with choking so long as the dog is small enough that it couldn't swallow the wing or drumstick whole. Pork ribs won't shatter so long as you feed them raw.

I don't know anyone whose dog has choked on a bone, but that said I would still only give bones under supervision. If your dog is choking, you reach in and remove the obstruction from the airway. If it is so far down that you can't see it, you can perform the heimlich manoeuvre. Bear in mind a dog is probably just as likely to choke on a household object he's found to play with, or even kibble, if he eats too fast. I honestly don't think there is a much greater choking risk with raw bones.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/heimlich-for-your-dog/page1.aspx

boomerang wrote: »
    They will break as the dog crunches down on them, but as they are raw and from a young animal, the bones are soft and not like the lethal shards of a cooked bone. I don't see a worry with choking so long as the dog is small enough that it couldn't swallow the wing or drumstick whole. Pork ribs won't shatter so long as you feed them raw.

I don't know anyone whose dog has choked on a bone, but that said I would still only give bones under supervision. If your dog is choking, you reach in and remove the obstruction from the airway. If it is so far down that you can't see it, you can perform the heimlich manoeuvre. Bear in mind a dog is probably just as likely to choke on a household object he's found to play with, or even kibble, if he eats too fast. I honestly don't think there is a much greater choking risk with raw bones.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/heimlich-for-your-dog/page1.aspx

Yes of course I am well aware of this, and you're entitled to your PoV. But it's not something I would be happy giving my dog TBH...

I recently came across a dog which had a massive tumour in it's mouth. Probably caused by a bone cutting or shards sticking in the gum. Started as an infection, then progressed to abcess, and finally a tumour. Owner was too mean/lazy/ignorant/stupid to take the poor animal to the vet until it was far too late and the poor thing was going through hell. Dog had to be put down in the end, as vet could not operate on the tumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yes of course I am well aware of this, and you're entitled to your PoV. But it's not something I would be happy giving my dog TBH...

I recently came across a dog which had a massive tumour in it's mouth. Probably caused by a bone cutting or shards sticking in the gum. Started as an infection, then progressed to abcess, and finally a tumour. Owner was too mean/lazy/ignorant/stupid to take the poor animal to the vet until it was far too late and the poor thing was going through hell. Dog had to be put down in the end, as vet could not operate on the tumour.

Key word there being probably, you don't know one way or the other what caused the tumour.

Key word there being probably, you don't know one way or the other what caused the tumour.

Admittedly third hand info, but this is what was said by the vet....

• Advertisement
Advertisement